Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-19-2009, 07:54 AM   #1
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Wow! Just wow! REALLY hypocritical of the left...

Bush's inauguration cost 40 million, and the Democrats were FURIOUS (and the economy was 10,000 times stronger 4 years ago). Now Obama's will cost ONE HUNDRED FIFTY MILLION and all is right with the world.

Shame on you, Democrats...

http://www.ohio.com/news/nation/37785504.html

Inauguration party pricey in dicey economic times
Some estimate gala event could cost as much as $150 million, break records
By Matt Apuzzo
Associated Press

Published on Sunday, Jan 18, 2009
WASHINGTON: Unemployment is up. The stock market is down. Let's party.
The price tag for President-elect Barack Obama's inauguration gala is expected to break records, with some estimates reaching as high as $150 million. Despite the bleak economy, however, Democrats who called on President George W. Bush to be frugal four years ago are issuing no such demands now that an inaugural weekend of rock concerts and star-studded parties has begun.
Obama's inaugural committee has raised more than $41 million to cover the events.
Add to that the massive costs of security and transportation costs absorbed by U.S. taxpayers and the historic inauguration will produce an equally historic bill.

In 2005, Reps. Anthony Weiner, D-N.Y., and Jim McDermott, D-Wash., asked Bush to show a little less pomp and be a little more circumspect at his party.
''President Roosevelt held his 1945 inaugural at the White House, making a short speech and serving guests cold chicken salad and plain pound cake,'' the two lawmakers wrote in a letter. ''During World War I, President Wilson did not have any parties at his 1917 inaugural, saying that such festivities would be undignified.''
The thinking was that, with the nation at war, excessive celebration was inappropriate. Four years later, the nation is still at war. Unemployment has risen sharply. And Obama pressed Congress to release the second half of a $700 billion bailout package in hopes of rescuing a faltering banking industry.

Obama's inauguration committee says it is mindful of the times and is not worried people will see the four days of festivities as excessive.
''That is probably not the way the country is going to be looking at it,'' said committee spokeswoman Linda Douglass. ''It is not a celebration of an election. It is a celebration of our common values.''
Douglass said the campaign sought to keep costs down by having the same decorations at each of the 10 balls, eliminating floral arrangements and negotiating prices on food.
''Those at the Obama administration are trying to be reflective of the climate,'' McDermott's spokesman, Mike DeCeasar, said Saturday.
Obama has pledged transparency in his inaugurationfundraising. He has disclosed inaugural donors as the fundraising continued, though he is not required to do so until after the ceremony.
WASHINGTON: Unemployment is up. The stock market is down. Let's party.
The price tag for President-elect Barack Obama's inauguration gala is expected to break records, with some estimates reaching as high as $150 million. Despite the bleak economy, however, Democrats who called on President George W. Bush to be frugal four years ago are issuing no such demands now that an inaugural weekend of rock concerts and star-studded parties has begun.
Obama's inaugural committee has raised more than $41 million to cover the events.
Add to that the massive costs of security and transportation costs absorbed by U.S. taxpayers and the historic inauguration will produce an equally historic bill.

In 2005, Reps. Anthony Weiner, D-N.Y., and Jim McDermott, D-Wash., asked Bush to show a little less pomp and be a little more circumspect at his party.
''President Roosevelt held his 1945 inaugural at the White House, making a short speech and serving guests cold chicken salad and plain pound cake,'' the two lawmakers wrote in a letter. ''During World War I, President Wilson did not have any parties at his 1917 inaugural, saying that such festivities would be undignified.''
The thinking was that, with the nation at war, excessive celebration was inappropriate. Four years later, the nation is still at war. Unemployment has risen sharply. And Obama pressed Congress to release the second half of a $700 billion bailout package in hopes of rescuing a faltering banking industry.

Obama's inauguration committee says it is mindful of the times and is not worried people will see the four days of festivities as excessive.
''That is probably not the way the country is going to be looking at it,'' said committee spokeswoman Linda Douglass. ''It is not a celebration of an election. It is a celebration of our common values.''
Douglass said the campaign sought to keep costs down by having the same decorations at each of the 10 balls, eliminating floral arrangements and negotiating prices on food.
''Those at the Obama administration are trying to be reflective of the climate,'' McDermott's spokesman, Mike DeCeasar, said Saturday.
Obama has pledged transparency in his inaugurationfundraising. He has disclosed inaugural donors as the fundraising continued, though he is not required to do so until after the ceremony.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:00 AM   #2
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Default Re: Wow! Just wow! REALLY hypocritical of the left...

To be fair, MOST of the costs of the inauguration are privately funded, but I'm curious: There is a big difference between the $41 million rasied and the projected $150 ticket. I KNOW Bush's fund raisers paid for his, but who foots the bill if this one comes up short?
Old 01-19-2009, 08:57 AM   #3
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

They are makin such a big fn deal about Obama getting in and its costing more money. The dems are very critical on the right but dont feel bad when they do it. if that makes sense. Government spending is gonna be out of control while the dems run everything and thatll put us in a deeper debt.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:51 AM   #4
Polamalu Princess
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 7120

And the American people voted to spend more of their hard earned money by electing Obama.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:57 AM   #5
I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 10606

But but but....Sarah Palin's wardrobe cost X amount, even though it was auctioned off!
Old 01-19-2009, 11:59 AM   #6
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,063 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeiselPower99 View Post
They are makin such a big fn deal about Obama getting in and its costing more money. The dems are very critical on the right but dont feel bad when they do it. if that makes sense. Government spending is gonna be out of control while the dems run everything and thatll put us in a deeper debt.
Ya, but in all fairness, spending was out of control when Bush was in office too. The larger problem is that government spending is completely out of control in general. The government needs to be run like a business, otherwise things will only continue to get worse.....

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:00 PM   #7
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082

no different than the CEO's celebrating at a spa after bailout really. It must have been hard to dig this up in a newspaper, as opposed to on every front page in the US when it was Bush. Typical liberal bias.
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
TeeJay
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 7083

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold View Post
But but but....Sarah Palin's wardrobe cost X amount, even though it was auctioned off!
You think you've got issues! - We've got Gordon 'freaking' Brown in charge here.

At least with SP you just know she could do that 'take the glasses off and shake her hair down, naughty secretary thing'. And if she can do that, then who gives a stuff about the politics! .....OK......I'll go now.
"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -- Jack Lambert. Feb '09 - Hell Yeah, they made the Doughnuts
TeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:50 PM   #9
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Here's my real problem with all this. I get it. Obama is a galvanizing figure for many. It's a historic day. Security needs to be higher. Whatever...

But DON'T make a big deal out of Bush's PRIVATELY FUNDED inauguration (and make no mistake about it, the Dems were purposelly trying to mislead the general public into thinking it was taxpayer money being "wasted") then turn around and run up the credit card bill 4 years later and act like nothing is wrong.

It's disingenuous.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:54 PM   #10
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Here's my real problem with all this. I get it. Obama is a galvanizing figure for many. It's a historic day. Security needs to be higher. Whatever...

But DON'T make a big deal out of Bush's PRIVATELY FUNDED inauguration (and make no mistake about it, the Dems were purposelly trying to mislead the general public into thinking it was taxpayer money being "wasted") then turn around and run up the credit card bill 4 years later and act like nothing is wrong.

It's disingenuous.
Be careful, you don't want to be called a racist.
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote