Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-19-2009, 09:36 AM   #1
Steeldude
Living Legend

Default Holmes' Controversial Drop

i am not sure if there is a threa this already. i didn't notice one.

it appeared to me that holmes made two steps with the ball already secured and then stretched out with the ball crossing the goal line. perhaps it was a fumble and then recovery, but it was a catch.

IMO, he already established the catch by taking the two steps. it's not like his dive to the goal line was an action that involved the catch.

if that's not a catch then you simply can't fumble the ball after a catch. right? if they pass it to moore and he scampers 70 yards and then falls causing the ball to come out, it must be an incomplete pass according to the logic they employed sunday.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:49 AM   #2
Milkman
Starter

Member Number: 1055
Default Re: Holmes' Controversial Drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
i am not sure if there is a threa this already. i didn't notice one.

it appeared to me that holmes made two steps with the ball already secured and then stretched out with the ball crossing the goal line. perhaps it was a fumble and then recovery, but it was a catch.

IMO, he already established the catch by taking the two steps. it's not like his dive to the goal line was an action that involved the catch.

if that's not a catch then you simply can't fumble the ball after a catch. right? if they pass it to moore and he scampers 70 yards and then falls causing the ball to come out, it must be an incomplete pass according to the logic they employed sunday.

/agree

Us against the world...STILL!
Bring it suckas!
Milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:55 AM   #3
peterroach
Water Boy

Member Number: 11870

+1
The officiating in that game was ridiculous. The next play was clearly pass interference as well. When a defender has his arm inside the receiver's impending him from raising it, you have to call that, every time.

If you're not going to call that, what the heck was the call on McFadden?

Finally, my favorite, roughing the kicker? This was clearly an attempt to make up for past calls.
peterroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:10 AM   #4
Hapa
Banned

Member Number: 8230

It really looked like two steps forward, but I think the rule is, if you catch that ball as you are going to the ground, which I guess he was, then you have to maintain control.

But who really cares now right? The refs know the rules better than us anyway.
Hapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:16 AM   #5
drizze99
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1070

The officials were TERRIBLE last night. I am not sure what game they were watching. He CLEARLY caught the ball, took 2 steps, dove and placed his hand on the ground to make certain he wasn't down until he reached the goal line.

I would love to hear an explanation from that ref of when it stops being a catch and it become part of the play...

"You win by attrition. You impose your will on your opponent." ~ Mike Tomlin
drizze99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:19 AM   #6
peterroach
Water Boy

Member Number: 11870

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa View Post
It really looked like two steps forward, but I think the rule is, if you catch that ball as you are going to the ground, which I guess he was, then you have to maintain control.

But who really cares now right? The refs know the rules better than us anyway.
That's not quite the rule. It's true that the ball must be controlled and remain in possession throughout as you're going to the ground but that's only on the initial reception. Because he caught the ball and made a "football related move" (steps forward), the catch should have been ruled as complete. Then he is tackled and I'm not sure whether he lost the ball before or after his knee hit the ground but in any case, he was either down by contact or fumbled it and recovered it in the endzone for a TD.
peterroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:37 AM   #7
section514
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1401

i am just happy that we won, because the city of Pittsburgh would have been zebra hunting if we lost
section514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:38 AM   #8
BubbyBrister
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 10741

100% agree with peter.
those are the only two possible explanations, imo
BubbyBrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:38 AM   #9
slippy
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5848

at least harrison finally got a holding call for us.
slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:39 AM   #10
CPanther95
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 11672

The "football related move" BS was ridiculous and way too subjective. That's why they re-wrote the rule this year to eliminate the "must make a football move" part of the rule. Unfortunately. they changed it to the requirement that if a receiver is contacted by the defender while going down, or causing him to go down, he must maintain possession even after contact with the ground.

They will have to revisit that rule this off season. The rule didn't clarify what to do if the receiver takes multiple steps (I counted 3) "while going down". Technically the call was correct, but it wasn't the intent of the rule to call that an incomplete. 3 steps (or 2) with possession should absolutely constitute a reception regardless of any other factor.

... and I believe they never intended the new rule to contradict that. You can't really blame them, not many receivers can continue to run while in a prone position. :)