Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-19-2009, 06:17 PM   #1
millwalldavey
Head Coach

Member Number: 6220
Default Thoughts on Super Bowl XLIII

As I lay in bed last night with visions of sugarplums dancing in my head, I started formulating in my head some talking points about ths upcoming Super Bowl Vs. the Cardinals. Looking for comment and opinions on the following:

I liken the Cardinals to a poor mans version of the Chargers. They have not been hyped too much untill the playoff run, thus we really do not know much about them. Lets consider the following:

1. The Cardinals offense:
In my opinion, if we can take away the big play, then our defense should have no problem shutting them down. I do not feel they will run on us at all. Noone does. The pass rush will certainly snuff out quite a bit of the pass attack and roll up a few sacks. No doubt that Warner will connect with those WR's. I feel about 2 TD passes are coming from him. He may even hit 250/300 yards passing.

2. The Cardinals defense:
I think we will move the ball similarly to the way we moved against San Diego. I listened to people bemoaning the lack of a running game against Baltimore compared with San Diego. That is because the Baltimore defense and the Sand Diego defene are like apples vs. oranges. I liken the Arizona defense to be more akin to the San Diego one. The played like champs in the first half yesterday, but almost gave away the game in the 2nd. We will move the ball and I feel if the O-Line protected Ben fairly well from the Ravens pass rush, then you can easily cut the contact in half that they will see in Tampa. We will run and Ben is making better decisions, thus we will pass as well.

3. Special Teams:
Improved since we met them in 2007.

4. Wisenhunt:
This is actually a big thing. He knows our ins and outs and tendencies fairly well. He'll be sitting in with the D coaches as well over the next two weeks. They may be prepared to stop us comparably to a division foe.

This is not to mention Grimm and the other defects.

5. The "hype" factor.
The Cardinals are know everyones darlings. They make a great story and we all know how casual fans will jump to their side. Kinda insulting to the people who hung on out there for so long. I think that they may have a bit of the "not-ready-for-primetime" thing hurting thm as well. They may have peaked too soon.

6. Letdown:
I think that the Cardinals momentum is going to die off somewhat as a victim of the two-week layoff. Being an unseasoned playoff team may hurt as well.

I refuse to take this team lightly, but I see a 10-14 point win if we play at the same level as we have the last two games.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:33 PM   #2
CPanther95
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 11672
Default Re: Thoughts on Super Bowl XLIII

My thoughts:

The logo for SB XLIII is very disappointing.

Last edited by CPanther95; 01-19-2009 at 09:33 PM.
CPanther95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:36 PM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post
My thoughts:

The logo for SB XVIII is very disappointing.

fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:40 PM   #4
slippy
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5848

i like your avatar millwall davey, it would look great on a gold tee shirt. where did you get it?
slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:57 PM   #5
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

I'm pretty sure we all know who is going to win this game... I'm honestly not trying to be over confident or anything here, but don't you just feel it? It's just our year again. Plain and simple. And we have another NFC West cake walk in what I think will just be a formality.

I know, I know stupid to say - right? But in reality, I think a lot of us feel this way. Look, the Cardinals are a good team, but just like the Ravens they are overachieving. They're a one trick pony who's defense caught fire for a few games. Sorry for all you people who retired out there in Arizona, but the nice little story comes to an end in Tampa. Not to worry though, bandwagon fans don't care enough about their teams to have a heart attack or anything over it
Old 01-19-2009, 06:58 PM   #6
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippy View Post
i like your avatar millwall davey, it would look great on a gold tee shirt. where did you get it?
That's the team logo for the Pittsburgh Maulers of the failed USFL.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:35 PM   #7
SteelCityKing
Head Coach

Member Number: 10886

i have a feeling that the nation will enjoy the Super Bowl for more than the commercials this year. =)

i'm sure we'll see some good movie previews. like, "the Watchmen" and "X-Men Origins: Wolverine." i'm stoked. =)