Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-27-2005, 08:26 AM   #21
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: ty law intercepting tom brady

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
living, if everyone beat this descent opposition you always talk about they wouldnt be descent opposition now would they? steelers, colts, teams like the bears and bengals havnt faced descent opposition? who the hell are they playing? the canadion football league, nfl europe? ncaa? please tell me which team out there has beaten descent opposition? the patriots? dont even go there. seahawks? san diego? what the hell has that gotten them?
For future reference I have included a list of what I regard to be 'decent opposition' in this years NFL.

Patriots
Miami
Bengals
Steelers
Colts
Jags
Broncos
Chiefs
Chargers
Giants
Bears
Falcons
Panthers
Bucs
Seahawks

I shall try and break down each of those teams you mentioned above - and I really dont think I ever said they havent faced ANY decent opposition, I would have said they struggled against them.

The Steelers have a 3-4 LOSING RECORD against the teams I have listed above.

The Colts have a 5-2 record against these teams. In the case of the Colts - my argument has always been that they had faced no real OFFENSES in the 1st half of the season.

The Bears are 3-2 against the list and 8-2 against poor sides.

The Bengals have a 2-3 LOSING RECORD against the listed teams.

Having said all this the Patriots are only 4-5 against the list also.

What I am trying to get across is that alot of the teams with good records have not been dominant against good teams - in the style that the Steelers, Patriots and Eagles were last year.

I think this will make for an exciting playoff season - JAX is the only team that I dont think could beat any of the other AFC opposition home or away. - the rest are very evenly balanced.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 08:30 AM   #22
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKoopa
lol, you lonely now that your buddies left you when things got a little rough for the team? they should be comming back soon though now that things picked up, oh wait.... one already did this past week
Hey Koops,

I have no idea why the other guys left - I dont think it was because we started losing, but then I dont know them so I cant say for sure!

Im pretty happy talking football with Steeler fans anyways - if I want to find Pats fans ....I know where to find em

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:09 AM   #23
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,215 Times in 2,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
In two seasons I cannot remember a game where Ben had to beat a decent team without the help of a running game.

The pro's and con's to sitting a QB in his rookie year are pretty evenly balanced as far as performance in the 2nd year goes - if you insist on counting Brady's first year then I'll have to insist on calling it an undefeated debut season as starter.

I dont want to be too hard on Ben becasue he has the makings of a top-notch QB, but any QB who is compared to Brady doesnt come out looking too great.

NM
1- thats funny, cause i dont remember brady beating any quality opponents without a running game either. i remember him losing to the steelers without one though.

2- brady did infact have an undefeated season his 1st year. too bad the pats couldnt say the same.

3- further examination will show that this thread was more comparing the int. law ran back for a td to the one harrison ran back in last years afc champ game. same route, same throw, same jump by the defender.

but seriously please name a few qb's who have beaten quality opponents or descent teams without the help of a running game? it sounds like youre saying that a qb will never be good until the team makes 0 rushing attempts and they beat a sb contending team running the 5 wr set exclusively. fact is running the ball is as big of a part of football as throwing it. just ask the participants of sb 25. ask j. elway or t. davis, emmit smith or franco harris.

brady still hasnt proven to me he can beat a descent team without excellent protection from an offensive line. ben can fight through line breakdowns.

brady still hasnt proven he can beat descent teams without a kicker putting the ball through the uprights for him.......
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 09:53 AM   #24
Brady12
Team Captain

Member Number: 973

You have to score points to win... If the kicker put threw one or two FG, thats 6 points... Where do the others come from? Well some from Defense, and the OFFENSE! You cannot win a game solely with a kicker. A Kicker can score the final points to win the game, but he is solely not the reason. And it's funny, because i'm sure most people think Peyton Manning is the best QB, and his recievers are easily better than Brady's. His RB is easily better than Brady's. and yet Tom throws for 4000 yards, and Peyton won't.
Brady12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 09:56 AM   #25
Brady12
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKoopa
lol, you lonely now that your buddies left you when things got a little rough for the team? they should be comming back soon though now that things picked up, oh wait.... one already did this past week

Now now, Someone told me about this site 2 days ago, otherwise if I already knew about it I would probably have been here longer. I can accept the fact that my team loses
Old 12-27-2005, 09:59 AM   #26
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
1- thats funny, cause i dont remember brady beating any quality opponents without a running game either. i remember him losing to the steelers without one though.

2- brady did infact have an undefeated season his 1st year. too bad the pats couldnt say the same.

3- further examination will show that this thread was more comparing the int. law ran back for a td to the one harrison ran back in last years afc champ game. same route, same throw, same jump by the defender.

but seriously please name a few qb's who have beaten quality opponents or descent teams without the help of a running game? it sounds like youre saying that a qb will never be good until the team makes 0 rushing attempts and they beat a sb contending team running the 5 wr set exclusively. fact is running the ball is as big of a part of football as throwing it. just ask the participants of sb 25. ask j. elway or t. davis, emmit smith or franco harris.

brady still hasnt proven to me he can beat a descent team without excellent protection from an offensive line. ben can fight through line breakdowns.

brady still hasnt proven he can beat descent teams without a kicker putting the ball through the uprights for him.......
I will warn you now Tony, by asking for a list of decent teams that Brady has beat without a running game you have let yourself in for a rather large reply.

Lets start in 2002 shall we?

Pittsburgh - 30-14 - Brady 29/43 294yds 3TD 0INT (Running game - 63yards)
Kansas - 41-38 - Brady 39/54 410yds 4TD 1INT (Running game - 97yards)

Philly - 31-10 - Brady 30/44 255yds 3TD 0INT (Running game - 62yards)
Miami - 19-13 - Brady 24/34 283yds 2TD 0INT (Running game - 59yards)
Denver - 30-26 - Brady 20/35 350yds 3TD 1INT (Running game - 69yards)
Indy - 38-34 - Brady 26/35 236yds 2TD 2INT (running game - 56yards)

Indy - 27-24 - Brady 26/38 335yds 3TD 0INT (running game - 82 yards)
Kansas - 27-19 - Brady 17/26 315yds 1TD 0INT (running game - 98 yards)
Cincy - 35-28 - Brady 18/26 260yds 2TD 0INT (running game - 94 yards)

Pittsburgh - 23-20 - Brady 31/41 372yds 0TD 1INT (running game - 80 yards)
Tampa Bay - 28-0 - Brady 20/31 258yds 3TD 0INT (running game - 83yards)

I hope this list is comprehensive enough for you Tony - I listed only games against quality opposition (8-8 record or better) where New England managed less than 100 yards rushing AS A TEAM.

Also I think that your point about the NE O-line is a little redundant - we may have an excellent line coach but our line currently consists of

-Rookie LT
-Rookie LG
-Centre playing his first year in that position
-RT 6th round draft pick released by former team
-RG 7th round draft pick released by former team.

Thats not really anybody's idea of an All-Pro line is it?

Tom Brady avoids sacks because he is the best in the league at sensing pressure and delivering passes under pressure.

Feel free to list all the game where Ben has passed for big yardage and/or multiple TD's with a sub-100 yard running game.

NM

Last edited by Livinginthe past; 12-27-2005 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:04 AM   #27
Brady12
Team Captain

Thanks for the research living... Since you didn't do it, heres Brady's average for those games, and i'm assuming you took games under 100 yards?

306 yards, 2 TD, 0.5 INT (lol) Rushing Game avg. 77 yards.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:03 AM   #28
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady12
Thanks for the research living... Since you didn't do it, heres Brady's average for those games, and i'm assuming you took games under 100 yards?

306 yards, 2 TD, 0.5 INT (lol) Rushing Game avg. 77 yards.
Hey Brady12,

You're welcome.

All the games had 3 things in common.

1. The Patriots won

2. The team rushed for less than 100yards

3. The opposition had a 8-8 record, or better.

I am willing to bet there are a bunch more in 2001, when we had Antowain Smith, but I couldn't find the stats for that year.

NM
Old 12-27-2005, 12:49 PM   #29
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady12
Now now, Someone told me about this site 2 days ago, otherwise if I already knew about it I would probably have been here longer. I can accept the fact that my team loses

oh naw i ain't talkin about you, i was talkin about two other guys that lived here when ya'll were on top of the world
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 12:52 PM   #30
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past

The Steelers have a 3-4 LOSING RECORD against the teams I have listed above.

The Bengals have a 2-3 LOSING RECORD against the listed teams.

Having said all this the Patriots are only 4-5 against the list also.

i know what you are trying to say but why do the steelers and bengals have a LOSING RECORD but with the pats it's only 4-5?
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote