Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 01-20-2009, 06:08 AM   #1
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037
Default 2009 Senior Bowl

OK Draft guru's. Time to start scouting for our 2009 War room discussions. Here is a good place to start

http://www.draftdaddy.com/features/senior_2009.htm

Some interesting observations from Day 1

1. I know a lot of members are big on this guy.

Quote:
Oklahoma OT Phil Loadholt had a good day. Loadholt was very physical and absolutely mauled defenders once he got his hands on them, which was to be expected from a guy who weighed in at 6-8 and 343 pounds. However, he also displayed good feet and showed the ability to handle speed rushers. Today at least.
2. One to consider as a Rd 2 prospect

Quote:
The headliner of the day might have been Missouri DT Evander "Ziggy" Hood, who showcased his trademark hustle and tenacity. Hood's motor seemed to run non-stop and he was able to consistently make plays in one-on-one drills, dipping and getting past Alex Mack on more than one occasion.
3. One for the Alex Mack fans ( me included)

Quote:
California C Alex Mack was reportedly the only lineman who could contain Boston College DT B.J. Raji on the first day of Senior Bowl practices.
Mack, who could probably play any line position except left tackle at 6'4/312, picked up Raji in one drill and drove him backwards off the football. Mack was allegedly more impressive than fellow highly touted C Max Unger of Oregon.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...=138233&spln=1
Old 01-20-2009, 07:59 AM   #2
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,579 Times in 1,701 Posts
Default Re: 2009 Senior Bowl

Thanks Aussie. I'm gonna be out of town for a couple days and missing Sr. Bowl week a bit, so please keep us (me) informed.

Mack, Raji and Loadholt looking good.......I like it!!

Here is another report:

Risers
BJ Raji/DT/Boston College: The Eagles' massive interior lineman was almost unblockable throughout the day in the North's practice. Raji displayed a very quick first step off the snap, which gave offensive linemen fits. He made it harder on his opponents by swatting blockers to the ground as they were left wondering how he got by them so easily.

Shawn Nelson/TE/Southern Mississippi: Nelson looked formidable during weigh-ins this morning, then took his athletic frame onto the field and impressed scouts. He's fluid moving around the field and fast -- very fast. Nelson was constantly beating opponents in the secondary and made a number of good plays in the secondary.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ay1/index.html
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

My new player to pimp this season....

Jarron Gilbert
January 17th, 2009 Shawn Posted in Zobel's Blog |

I got a chance to take a look at San Jose State defensive lineman Jarron Gilbert yesterday. All I can say is that this kid is a special talent. I really feel that if he lands with the right team at the next level that he could have a Pro Bowl-type of effect in the NFL. Gilbert, in my opinion, is a current second rounder and could easily land in the late-first if he has a good Combine, which should be expected. Gilbert is one of the most explosive athletes that Ive seen in the past few years. His explosion can be seen here, as he literally jumps out of a pool from an underwater start. Im telling you that you need to keep an eye on this player. Think of a much better version of Kentwan Balmer who went in the first round last year.
http://draftheadquarters.com/blog/?p=443

DE/DT Jarron Gilbert - The Best Player You've Never Heard Of?

DE/DT Jarron Gilbert, San Jose State: 6'6 280, 22 TFL's 9.5 sacks, 52 tkls.

Here is a guy I noticed when I was looking up stats and then did some more research. He plays DT and DE for the Spartans. With his frame he would be a very nice fit as a 5-tech in a 3-4. Gilbert has a nice first step and has a very good motor. The thing in watching his tape that really impressed was how well he used his hands. Often big guys can get away with not using their hands well becuase they can overpower their opponents but Jarron Gilbert does a great job of using his hands and has a nice repitoire of pass rush moves. He has nice closing speed. He does lack top end athletism but he is very strong and has a 635 squat. Gilbert has been productive throughout his career with 15TFL's and 9 sacks sn his Sphomore and Junior years. Jarron Gilbert from SDSU is a very intriguing prospect who may be one of the better 3-4 DE prospects in this draft class
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/show...jarron+gilbert
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:05 AM   #4
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

What about Rhett Bomar? I think he could be a sleeper qb in the draft.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:47 AM   #5
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeiselPower99 View Post
What about Rhett Bomar? I think he could be a sleeper qb in the draft.
Here is some word from the Senior bowl

Quote:
Sam Houston St. QB Rhett Bomar easily had the best release and most velocity of all the signal callers on the North squad. He throws a real nice ball and it gets out of his hand very quick. His accuracy was relatively average today though.
http://www.draftdaddy.com/features/senior_2009.htm
Similar to what was said about Jake Cutler a few years ago.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:25 PM   #6
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

If I remember he was regarded as one of the next big things at Oklahoma. I hope he gets an honest shot with someone.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:34 PM   #7
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

i was watching some of the pratice today.. and raji was just killing evryone.. just hoping he would be there for us..

derrick williams was looking good today too.. if the steelers are rly looking for a return man, he could be a good one and is showing some good wr skills...

anything on joe burnett?

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:28 AM   #8
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,579 Times in 1,701 Posts

LLT, I think the word is out on your guy Gilbert. He is having a good Senior Bowl from what I have heard.

So too are Trevor Canfield, Louis Delmas, Peria Jerry and the guy we should have targeted this season David Veikune (instead of Bruce Davis)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ay2/index.html

Herman Johnson is struggling as I thought he would. The guy is too Big and slow.

Herman Johnson/OL/LSU: Johnson has lined up at both his natural position of guard as well as right tackle. His size (6-feet-7, 382 pounds) has not transitioned into the ability to dominate the opposition. Johnson's immobility is obvious to all and at one point he was knocked to the ground due to his inability to move. Much was expected from Johnson this week but he has not responded and his draft stock is plummeting.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:35 AM   #9
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,309 Times in 1,830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
LLT, I think the word is out on your guy Gilbert. He is having a good Senior Bowl from what I have heard.

So too are Trevor Canfield, Louis Delmas, Peria Jerry and the guy we should have targeted this season David Veikune (instead of Bruce Davis)

Herman Johnson is struggling as I thought he would. The guy is too Big and slow.

Herman Johnson/OL/LSU: Johnson has lined up at both his natural position of guard as well as right tackle. His size (6-feet-7, 382 pounds) has not transitioned into the ability to dominate the opposition. Johnson's immobility is obvious to all and at one point he was knocked to the ground due to his inability to move. Much was expected from Johnson this week but he has not responded and his draft stock is plummeting.
382 ??? holy crap !!! i hope thats a type o.....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:36 AM   #10
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

He is from Hawaii right?? We still could take him and add to our outstanding lb corp.