Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 01-20-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default If you can stomach it, Steelers-Cards might be fun

If you can stomach it, Steelers-Cards might be fun
http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports...ry/600367.html
DAVE BOLING; THE NEWS TRIBUNE
Tacoma Washington

Last updated: January 20th, 2009 02:10 PM (PST)

Football fans in the Pacific Northwest (however many still admit to it) face a dilemma. They can either ignore football entirely for two weeks, or chose between two disagreeable options for teams to back in Super Bowl XLIII.

Can any follower of the Seattle Seahawks ever root for the Pittsburgh Steelers in a Super Bowl? Probably not while the trauma of Super Bowl XL still causes so many to suffer night-sweats and vivid flashbacks of yellow towels waving in the stands, and yellow flags falling on the turf.

Is it any way less disgusting to cheer on Arizona, an NFC West rival that so surprisingly won the NFC title – with three consecutive upset playoff wins – following an indifferent finish to a 9-7 regular season?

First, if you can risk physical illness at the sight of it, I think this game will be worth watching. And not just because Bruce Springsteen’s playing at halftime and Faith Hill is doing “America the Beautiful” before the game.

Of your two options, I believe that your energy is best spent offering tepid support to Arizona. The fact that the Cardinals are involved at all is statistically a positive for the Seahawks’ chances in 2009.

Of the 20 teams appearing in the past 10 Super Bowls, only six have won their divisions the following season.

Whatever psychological boost the Cardinals gain from this appearance is mitigated by the four extra games they will have played, the month shorter offseason, and the inevitable ego-inflation and roster splintering that takes place after a Super Bowl run.

Everybody wants raises, key players are lost to free agency and top assistants sometimes are lured to jobs with other teams. A sense of invincibility often attends the sort of rapid rise Arizona is enjoying.

But it’s a competitive magic that is hard to sustain or replicate, and sometimes teams take most of the following season to realize it.

Only a few weeks ago, any number of analysts (OK, me) argued that the Cardinals really didn’t belong in the postseason – having won a feeble division – while some better teams from more competitive divisions were sitting home.

It wasn’t just me. Odds were 40-1 against Arizona winning the Super Bowl at the start of the postseason.

They had lost four of their last six regular-season games and been abused by a combined score of 82-21 in December losses to Minnesota and New England.

They had a chance in a first-round home game against Atlanta, but after that?

They had to go on the road to Carolina, and they had been 0-5 during the season in games in the Eastern Time Zone.

They ended up clobbering Carolina, 33-13.

At home in the NFC title game, the Cards rolled to a 24-6 halftime lead and held off a second-half Philadelphia rally to claim the Super Bowl berth.

They were the betting underdogs in all three games, and are now the first seven-loss team to make it to the Super Bowl since the 1979 season.

The week opens with them as roughly a touchdown underdog to the Steelers. Wanna bet against them?

Their late-season swoon might have been a little misleading. A November victory over Seattle put the Cardinals at 7-3, with a five-game cushion over the Seahawks. Having put the division race out of reach early could explain some of the casual approach to the final six games.

Pittsburgh has a better defense than Arizona has seen, and dominating defenses win Super Bowls. But the Cardinals come at them with three strong receivers, including a seemingly unstoppable Larry Fitzgerald, an experienced quarterback (Kurt Warner) who is uncannily accurate and in command of a nice offensive scheme, and an improving offensive line.

If nothing else, possible confrontations between Fitzgerald and Steelers safety Troy Polamalu, and Cardinals safety Adrian Wilson against Pittsburgh receiver Hines Ward could be the stuff of classic Super Bowl viewing.

In the end, the sight of a stadium dominated by towel-waving Steelers fans will likely cause even the most ambivalent of fans around here to swing toward the Cardinals’ side.

Besides, there’s always the chance you might be able to watch the Steelers end up on the losing side because of some hinky officiating decision.

Dave Boling: 253-597-8440

dave.boling@thenewstribune.com">dave...ewstribune.com

Originally published: January 19th, 2009 11:52 PM (PST)

(To know that we are still in their heads after our victory in SB 40 gives me such a glorious feeling of schadenfreude. - mesa)
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:38 PM   #2
Nighthawk
Starter

Member Number: 11264
Default Re: If you can stomach it, Steelers-Cards might be fun

Sorry, once I saw it was written by someone from Washington I stopped reading lol
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:41 PM   #3
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

He's got one thing right: It will be a fun game to watch....for about a quarter.

Then we'll take over the game.

But it was a good run for the Cards. They need to build from this opportunity and not let a SB beatdown wreck their momentum. The NFC is back to being the redheaded stepchild so there is no reason to think that they couldn't get back into the big game in the future.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:48 PM   #4
stlrz fan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10982

I,d be alright with Seattle fans pulling for Arizona. This will be a good matchup and I think that a lot people are going to enjoy the battle between us and the feel good story of the year Cardinals. It is good matchup especially if they truly underestimate our defense.
stlrz fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:53 PM   #5
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Three seasons later and the Waaahawks (and their media jocks) still can't let it go. What a maroon.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:49 AM   #6
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

Amazing that they are still crying in Seattle over getting their butts kicked in Super Bowl XL. No question the Cardinals are the feel good story in this Super Bowl, but it all comes to a big stop on 2/1/09.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:07 AM   #7
Stevo
Banned

Member Number: 12164

I live in Seattle, and work in media. And it never fails... someone sees my Steeler gear, brings up SBXL and how the officials "stole" the game for Pittsburgh.

......I am not even gonna go there...... just a waste of time.

But look at all the sports teams here in Seattle and you will see why locals are still crying. Seahawks. Mariners. Sonics (opps). UW football. WSU football. etc. Washington sucks.

My co-workers are just hoping Pittsburgh loses, misery loves company.

Go Steelers!
Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:34 AM   #8
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,423 Times in 514 Posts

Don't really give a damn if Squawk fans watch it or not, nor where their rooting interests lie.

Last edited by fansince'76; 01-21-2009 at 09:57 AM.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:38 AM   #9
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

i am a member of a 49ers board and they are split on whether to root for the cards or steelers. the reason i keep seeing on why they dont want to root for the steelers is b/c they dont want us to be the first team to win 6 lombardi trophies.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:35 AM   #10
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,423 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TackleMeBen View Post
i am a member of a 49ers board and they are split on whether to root for the cards or steelers. the reason i keep seeing on why they dont want to root for the steelers is b/c they dont want us to be the first team to win 6 lombardi trophies.
As if the Niners are even remotely close to winning their 6th Lombardi. Please. I could understand that sentiment from Cowboys fans as they're somewhat in the neighborhood, but when is the last time the Niners even fielded a team worth a damn, much less a contender?
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote