Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2005, 05:19 PM   #1
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter
 
Suitanim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Posts: 6,086
Gender: Male
Member Number: 591
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Capology and the 2006 Steelers...

From my buddy, Thomas, the best football mind I know...(Sorry, UK CANDY, that means the OPPOSITE of you).

Well, cap space is kind of like looking at how much food you have. If you have a handful of food and only need to feed you, then you are fine. If you have two handfuls of food and 10 people to feed, you are in trouble. IMO, Cleveland and Baltimore need the space. They have issues and a lot of players to chase. Cincy has a lot of cash and no massive FA departures. They could be trouble, but it also depends on who they plan on re-signing (may be entering the final season of their deal).

With us, the 10M in space should be enough. If you look at our free agents-
Willie Parker-RB-ERFA-he can be signed for @$400,000. Now, this is not because he is only worth that, but because he was an undrafted free agent, we have his rights until he accrues 3 seasons. That means he is here for one more.

Ike Taylor-RFA-I think we see the Steelers tender Ike the highest tender, around 1.4M, which would give them a 1st and 3rd round pick.

Unrestricted FAs:
Antwaan Randle El-WR-nice to have back, but I think he walks.
Barrett Brooks-OT-Essex has already inked his walking papers.
Brett Keisel-LB-a possibility, but it depends on IF the Steelers pursue someone else.
Charlie Batch-QB-I think they bring him back at the 1M per season range. Watch for a 3-4 year deal.
Chris Hope-S-tough to call, depends on his asking price.
Clint Kriewaldt-LB-depends on his price
DeShea Townsend-CB-they will not overpay for a 30+ year old corner. Depends on his price.
Jerame Tuman-TE-probably gone, Heath has sealed his fate
Kimo von Oelhoffen-DE-what is his price?
Quincy Morgan-WR-depends on his price
Sean Morey-WR-vet minimum
Verron Haynes-RB-would have to be cheap

In short, only 1-2 guys are true needs. And, if you consider that Parker and Taylor will be had for under 2M, that leaves 9M in space. The rookies (draft) will bring in @8 guys at @3M. So, that leaves 6M.

Well, the Steelers would have 34 guys under contract after the cuts. The rookies and Parker/Taylor would bring them back to 44. They need 9 guys and have 6M. If you bring back 6 vet minimum guys, that leaves 3 guys needed and 3M in space. The Steelers would again be tight to the cap entering the season, but could have an even better team depending on the draft and FA moves.

Also, restructuring deals is something they do fairly often, do one and you can chase any number of FAs.......

We are not in bad shape.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 05:25 PM   #2
Livinginthe past
Living Legend
 
Livinginthe past's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Crushing the AFCE...annually
Posts: 7,520
Member Number: 478
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Capology and the 2006 Steelers...

Im glad you guys have someone who is capable of doing all that number crunching - cap maths is pretty gruelling work.

Over at patfans.com we have a guy who's area of expertise is the salary cap and its implications.

The Steelers are a shrewd cap management team from what I have seen - I dont think that they will have any problems for the foreseeable future in that regard.

As a side note, I think the salary cap helps teams like the Steelers and the Patriots as it tends to weed out the players who are a little too obsessed with the financial aspect of playing professional football.

Its not often you can accuse a Steelers player of not putting enough effort in.

NM
__________________
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 05:28 PM   #3
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter
 
Suitanim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Posts: 6,086
Gender: Male
Member Number: 591
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Capology and the 2006 Steelers...

Well, occasionally we have the odd (cough, cough, plexico, cough) player who gets a little lazy, but they are usually shown the door rather quickly.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 06:05 PM   #4
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dale City, Virginia.
Posts: 1,793
Gender: Male
Member Number: 604
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Capology and the 2006 Steelers...

Quote:
Unrestricted FAs:
Antwaan Randle El-WR-nice to have back, but I think he walks.
Barrett Brooks-OT-Essex has already inked his walking papers.
Brett Keisel-LB-a possibility, but it depends on IF the Steelers pursue someone else.
Charlie Batch-QB-I think they bring him back at the 1M per season range. Watch for a 3-4 year deal.
Chris Hope-S-tough to call, depends on his asking price.
Clint Kriewaldt-LB-depends on his price
DeShea Townsend-CB-they will not overpay for a 30+ year old corner. Depends on his price.
Jerame Tuman-TE-probably gone, Heath has sealed his fate
Kimo von Oelhoffen-DE-what is his price?
Quincy Morgan-WR-depends on his price
Sean Morey-WR-vet minimum
Verron Haynes-RB-would have to be cheap
My picks off the UFA list who I hope the Steelers make a serious effort to re-sign are:
Charlie Batch
Chris Hope
Quincy Morgan
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 06:11 PM   #5
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter
 
clevestinks's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8,326
Member Number: 302
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Capology and the 2006 Steelers...

I want to see us use Quicy Morgan more, before we decide whether or not to keep him!
__________________
<b>BLEEDING BLACK & GOLD IN OHIO</b>[
clevestinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 06:55 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 40,304
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 2,315
Thanked 10,367 Times in 4,304 Posts
Default Re: Capology and the 2006 Steelers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
Im glad you guys have someone who is capable of doing all that number crunching - cap maths is pretty gruelling work.

Over at patfans.com we have a guy who's area of expertise is the salary cap and its implications.

The Steelers are a shrewd cap management team from what I have seen - I dont think that they will have any problems for the foreseeable future in that regard.

As a side note, I think the salary cap helps teams like the Steelers and the Patriots as it tends to weed out the players who are a little too obsessed with the financial aspect of playing professional football.

Its not often you can accuse a Steelers player of not putting enough effort in.

NM
if i can say when i disagree with you i better be able to say when i agree. and here i really agree. pats have done things with the cap that amaze me. (keeping seymore) i used to put philadelphia up there with the steelers and the pats but seing how they handled simon, owens and westbrook in the off season makes me wonder. they also lack significant depth yet have lots of capspace.

suit- i agree with keeping hope and ike and really would like to keep all the defensive back ups along with kimo. this being cause the defensive scheme takes a while to learn. i thought extending c. hoke was a great deal. even though hampton got big money. hopefully hampton doesnt get hurt but we will be ok if he does. funny how the lines on both sides seem to take prescedence whan handing out money is concerned. i remember scratching my head when they shelled out some bucks for hartings.

i think any moves the steelers make will have polomalus future contract in the back of their minds. EXTENSION PLEASE!
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 07:41 PM   #7
Koopa
Living Legend
 
Koopa's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Coast Born, That Mean I'm Texas Raised
Posts: 3,439
Gender: Male
Member Number: 508
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Capology and the 2006 Steelers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
I want to see us use Quicy Morgan more, before we decide whether or not to keep him!
i think just seeing him on special teams will be worth another go around with the steelers. if he'd actually get a chance i think he can be a better number 2 then ARE, i know i know he dropped a lot of passes in cleveland. but dropped passes can be fixed. and with ben throwing him the ball he might not have as much dropped passes. plus i liked seeing him point to the steelers logo when he scored the TD, just another way of saying **** you cleveland lol. ONE MORE YEAR FOR QUINCY!!!!
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 12:29 AM   #8
TasmanianTroy271
Team Captain
 
TasmanianTroy271's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh (Ingram)
Posts: 738
Gender: Male
Member Number: 544
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Capology and the 2006 Steelers...

The ones I'd like to see us resign are...

Keisel - He's a ST demon and he does great on the second-team defense. If he could convert to the other side he could definately take over Kimo's position.
Batch - We need a back up QB who can actually win us a game.
Von Oelhoffen - The guy is a great role model for younger players, and is still a force at 34 years old. I think he'll take a pay cut because no one else wants a 34 year old DE, and I think he genuinely likes it here and wants to retire a Steeler.
Morgan - He's great on ST and depending on how he develops, could be our deep threat and tall WR.
Haynes - He's really done much better this year, and is a great 3rd down back in my opinion. He doesnt take his playing time for granted and tries his hardest every snap he takes. I think he could be really good here, but his staying depends on Duce and the draft.
__________________
82 Tackles, 8 Interceptions, 21 Passes Defensed, 1 TD
TasmanianTroy271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:19 AM   #9
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hollidaysburg PA
Posts: 19,587
Gender: Male
Member Number: 541
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Capology and the 2006 Steelers...

I'd like to have Back:
Randle El
Batch
Von Oelhoffen
Morgan
Haynes
Townsend
Parker
and some others I can't think of.
__________________

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns

Last edited by SteelCityMan786; 12-28-2005 at 03:58 PM.
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:24 AM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 40,304
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 2,315
Thanked 10,367 Times in 4,304 Posts
Default Re: Capology and the 2006 Steelers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TasmanianTroy271
The ones I'd like to see us resign are...

Keisel - He's a ST demon and he does great on the second-team defense. If he could convert to the other side he could definately take over Kimo's position.
Batch - We need a back up QB who can actually win us a game.
Von Oelhoffen - The guy is a great role model for younger players, and is still a force at 34 years old. I think he'll take a pay cut because no one else wants a 34 year old DE, and I think he genuinely likes it here and wants to retire a Steeler.
Morgan - He's great on ST and depending on how he develops, could be our deep threat and tall WR.
Haynes - He's really done much better this year, and is a great 3rd down back in my opinion. He doesnt take his playing time for granted and tries his hardest every snap he takes. I think he could be really good here, but his staying depends on Duce and the draft.
great takes tas, i agree
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts