Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 01-21-2009, 09:34 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Ward will battle big odds, try to play

Steelers Notebook: Ward will battle big odds, try to play
Wednesday, January 21, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Hines Ward will try to beat the odds and return to play football two weeks after a sprained MCL in his right knee.

"We are going to do everything in our power to make sure that he has the medical attention that he needs," coach Mike Tomlin said yesterday. "In his mind he is playing. So, chances are he is."

Ward's right knee was sprained in the first quarter of the AFC championship against Baltimore. The Steelers will play the Arizona Cardinals in the Super Bowl a week from Sunday. Usually, players do not return so quickly.

Running back Willie Parker had a sprained MCL from the third game of this season. He missed the next four games, a span that also included an open date. Defensive end Brett Keisel missed three games with a sprained MCL.

Ward was the MVP of Super Bowl XL in Detroit and has promised he would not miss this one.

"It is not going to be comfortable between now and game day in terms of making that happen," Tomlin said. "But it's not about comfort, particularly for Hines. I saw him this morning. He was down there aggressively getting after his rehabilitation and putting himself in the position to help the football team.

"We are definitely not going to cut him out. We are going to save a seat on the bus for 86."

Tomlin said yesterday that halfback Mewelde Moore and offensive guard Darnell Stapleton have ankle sprains that may limit them in practice this week but will not keep them out of the Super Bowl. Neither will offensive tackle Max Starks' knee sprain nor special-teamer Patrick Bailey's strained hamstring.

Center Justin Hartwig, who wore a brace on his sprained knee Sunday, came through fine, but Tomlin plans to go easy on him in practice as well this week.

The men in white
The Steelers will wear their white game jerseys as the visiting team in the Super Bowl, and that color has been significant for them over the years.

They wore white in two of their previous six Super Bowls -- their first when they beat the Minnesota Vikings in Super Bowl IX in New Orleans and their most recent, a victory against the Seattle Seahawks in Super Bowl XL in Detroit.

They usually wear white jerseys on the road because the home team has first choice, but coach Bill Cowher chose white for Super Bowl XL, even though they were the home team for that game. He did so because they had worn white jerseys in their three playoff victories that led to the Super Bowl, all on the road.

The Arizona Cardinals chose first and will wear their red home jerseys in Tampa, Fla.

Disagreement
Tomlin did not agree with the call that overturned Santonio Holmes' touchdown reception against Baltimore. Referee Bill Carollo ruled Holmes did not complete the play before he fumbled when he hit the ground. To complete a play, a receiver must make what is described as a "football move."

"They said it was an incomplete pass," Tomlin said. "They said that he didn't establish a football move and that as he gained possession of the football he was in the process of going to the ground and, when that occurs, he has to maintain possession of the ball through contact with the ground.

"So the side step that he had after he caught the ball was not believed to be a football move."

Forget the Gatorade
Tomlin pulled away when some of his players tried to dump Gatorade on him Sunday.

"I am not a proponent of the Gatorade bath," Tomlin said. "I don't know where [the tradition] came from."

He said it was his first experience with it, "and, hopefully, my last -- not at the expense of losing, though."

Tunnel vision for Tomlin
Tomlin said he has not given much thought to coaching against two other finalists for the job he now has, Arizona coach Ken Whisenhunt and his assistant head coach, Russ Grimm.

"As far as I know, Ken got the job in Arizona a full week before I got this one. I don't know the nature of that story. It really is irrelevant. If it's relevant for anyone, it is probably relevant for them.

"Me, I am just glad that I have this opportunity. I am glad that I work with these men. I am glad to have an opportunity to pursue the ultimate prize with them in a couple weeks"

Forget the jewelry, too
Asked when he last wore the Super Bowl XXXVII ring he earned as the secondary coach in Tampa Bay, Tomlin said: "Wow! I don't. I generally take it with me when I go home to Virginia because people want to see it, but I don't.

"For me, those experiences are in my head and my heart. The material possessions are less important to me. The most important thing about it for me is probably being able to give it to my children and letting them decide what they want to do with it.

"But I am not a jewelry guy. It is more about the experience for me than it is the ring."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09021/943195-66.stm
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Member Number: 2648
Default Re: Ward will battle big odds, try to play

That's no less than what I would expect Hines to do. He's a baller....plain and simple.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:22 AM   #3
GodofGridiron
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10597

Well.......im confident Hines will play. How effective he is remains to be seen. These next two weeks we need to prep Baker or Sweed for this big game. If Hines isnt 100 percent we might struggle in the passing game. Which is why its imperative we prep one of these other guys. I do believe in Limas......i think we can do some things with him. Lets get him orientated in this passing game with some sideline routes.
GodofGridiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:44 AM   #4
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Hines Ward would play in the Super Bowl of they cut off his leg. Hell he would play in a preseason game if they cut off his leg Hines Ward has so much heart.

I would expect no less from Mike Tomlin. He's right, him coaching against Whiz/Grimm for the Lombardi holds no relevence for him. He didn't feel bad about them not getting the job and shouldn't, they have obviously done well for themselves in Arizona.

And GodofGridiron, Dallas Baker was cut I think the week after the Colts loss. He was put on the practive squad but he cannot be moved onto the active roster for the Super Bowl, you have to go into that game with the same roster you had in the Conference Championship Game.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:18 AM   #5
drizze99
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1070

Hines will play.... There are different degrees of sprains. We don't know how bad his is really and I am sure Tomlin will not divulge that info either.

"You win by attrition. You impose your will on your opponent." ~ Mike Tomlin
drizze99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:35 AM   #6
TheSteelCurtain
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 10715

I heard we are bringing Matt Trannon and Cedrick Wilson in. (Joke).

I do really belive Limas is gonna have a huge game. Regardless of Ward's Condition. He has made some bonehead plays. But he is running routes and coming out of them a lot better than he did all season.
TheSteelCurtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:42 AM   #7
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628

I really hope that Ward plays and is effective, cause I really do not want to see Sweed anywhere near that field!
After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:46 AM   #8
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,304 Times in 474 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_WARDen View Post
I really hope that Ward plays and is effective, cause I really do not want to see Sweed anywhere near that field!
I was discussing Sweed's drops in the SD and B'more games with a Cowboys fan here at work yesterday who is originally from Texas and he made a point I never considered. Sweed is a product of Texas and very possibly the cold affected him adversely which may explain why he dropped those long passes two weeks in a row(?) Not sure how valid that point is, though. It won't be cold in Tampa, I do know that much.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:52 AM   #9
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
I was discussing Sweed's drops in the SD and B'more games with a Cowboys fan here at work yesterday who is originally from Texas and he made a point I never considered. Sweed is a product of Texas and very possibly the cold affected him adversely which may explain why he dropped those long passes two weeks in a row(?) Not sure how valid that point is, though. It won't be cold in Tampa, I do know that much.
could be the case you never know. but if he breaks out in the superbowl which is a far greater game than the afc championship, then u could really speculate....
Sharkissle29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:53 AM   #10
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

It seems like every new report about the injury is progressively worse. That sucks. Hopefully it's not more serious than they're letting on.

Either way, we ought to be fine with or without him at 100 percent. If we didn't have trouble moving the ball against Baltimore, it should be much easier against this sad-sack gang of buffoons.