Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-21-2009, 10:05 AM   #1
TheSteelCurtain
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 10715
Default Whis and Grimm. Advantage goes to Steelers.

I love how espn, nfl network, even my dad. Say oh the Cardinals have Whis and Grimm they have a advantage their.

Here is the 5 ways i look at it. And tell me if I'm wrong.

1. Yeah these guys know the steelers. (The team that won super bowl 40)
We have a new offense coordinator now, Its not like Arians is running all the same plays. Not one of our starting linemen played while Whis or Grimm was here. (aside from max starks)

2. Ill take our defense and Lebeau's knowledge of what Whis does anyday over what everyone thinks he knows about the steelers. There hasnt been a better coach and scheming games than old Dick and with our defense it could mean trouble for the redbirds.

3. Our defense moves around a lot more than we did in the previous years. Our cover 2 is a lot better than it ever was. Ike Taylor and Mcfadden is having a huge season. They dont have the INT number's like some CB's do. So they dont get as much love.

4. Fitzgerald is gonna get Light Up. You know its inevetiable. Someone is gonna catch him. Might be Troy, Clark, Could even be William Gay. But he will get punished. And he is not gonna like it.

5. Everyone talks about offense this and offense that. We had 350-400 yds of offense against the ratbirds. Philly shredded the Cardinals defense. If they didnt make some terrible coverage descisions in the beginning of the game I really feel they would have won it.
TheSteelCurtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:14 AM   #2
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370
Default Re: Whis and Grimm. Advantage goes to Steelers.

DING DING DING, WE HAVE A WINNER!

Great post.

Not to mention, I know LeBeau has some things inside that playbook that Whiz and Grimm have never seen. Cowher wouldn't let LeBeau run some of his really exotic stuff, but Tomlin does. I am sure LeBeau has a few plays stashed away just for the Super Bowl.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:19 AM   #3
Pi Kapp Steeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 11049

I love how espn, nfl network, even my dad. Say oh the Cardinals have Whis and Grimm they have a advantage their.

Here is the 5 ways i look at it. And tell me if I'm wrong.

1. Yeah these guys know the steelers. (The team that won super bowl 40)
We have a new offense coordinator now, Its not like Arians is running all the same plays. Not one of our starting linemen played while Whis or Grimm was here. (aside from max starks)

The only worry I got is that Arians was the WRs Coach in Whis' sysytem.

2. Ill take our defense and Lebeau's knowledge of what Whis does anyday over what everyone thinks he knows about the steelers. There hasnt been a better coach and scheming games than old Dick and with our defense it could mean trouble for the redbirds.

This i think is out biggest advantage. Dick LeBeau is the king of creating confusion, and I bet some where right now he is devising a plan to slow down the Cards O

3. Our defense moves around a lot more than we did in the previous years. Our cover 2 is a lot better than it ever was. Ike Taylor and Mcfadden is having a huge season. They dont have the INT number's like some CB's do. So they dont get as much love.

I agree 100% with our CB play. I think I have mention it in other threads, how no one give our CBs credit for taming T.O., both Mosses, Wayne and Marvin. I think that Colts game was a good display of our CB play, (other then that luck drop catch). We couldnt get to Peyton at all and we had everyone covered man to man all game.

Another thing IMO Harrison is more dominant then Porter. Ya Porter could get to the qb, but he only had one move, Harrison reacts to run much better, plus he frees up space for other LBs to make plays.

4. Fitzgerald is gonna get Light Up. You know its inevitable. Someone is gonna catch him. Might be Troy, Clark, Could even be William Gay. But he will get punished. And he is not gonna like it.

I was talkin to a Miami U fan , and he said the same thing when they faced PITT in college. He said they had Rolle and Taylor on him all day and Taylor hit him hard once. Fitz didn't make a catch until the 4th quarter. But don't forget about Boldin and Breasten.

5. Everyone talks about offense this and offense that. We had 350-400 yds of offense against the ratbirds. Philly shredded the Cardinals defense. If they didnt make some terrible coverage descisions in the beginning of the game I really feel they would have won it.

That first half of the NFCCG scared me to be honest. I was amazed how the same phili D that shredded us in the regular season couldn't make a play on the Cards. I think our advantage is Troy. No disrespect to Dawkins but he has lost a step, where Troy if he is on BEAST MODE there is no telling what is possible.

Good post man

Old 01-21-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
TheSteelCurtain
Starter
Supporter

Tomlin has made Lebeau a lot better coach. Without a doubt Tomlin has also helped our Seconday a lot. Physically and Mentally.

Not to mention there is a thing called game tapes. Every team in the NFL can see every play we run over and over. Slow Mo, Fast Mo, Zoom Mo, Whatever you desire.
You can know whats coming. Doesn't mean you can do anything about it. Its not like its a big secret if Harrison or Woodley are coming of the edges. You still gotta stop them.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:25 AM   #5
Pi Kapp Steeler
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSteelCurtain View Post
Slow Mo, Fast Mo, Zoom Mo,
Whatever Mo you want -derek jeter

But ya I think if we keep everything in front of us, and get pressure on Warner our D will hold up. On the offense of side we need to control the clock, a big game out of willie and mwelde will profit in a Lombardi trophy.

Oh ya and maybe if the ref decide to call holding on Harrison once and a while that will help us out. But maybe I am asking for too much.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:31 AM   #6
TheSteelCurtain
Starter
Supporter

^^^^ Harrison Gets Mugged Every Play. I guess they cant call it every play but maybe once a series. They got Levi Brown on his side. Penn State Alum. He is a big boy. Not quite the feet to keep up with Harrison However.

Mcgahee did a hell of a job picking up Blitzers Also. I think Edge (he said it himself, he isnt here to block) and Hightower are not gonna have as good of luck with that.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:37 AM   #7
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSteelCurtain View Post
Mcgahee did a hell of a job picking up Blitzers Also. I think Edge (he said it himself, he isnt here to block) and Hightower are not gonna have as good of luck with that.
Great point. McGahee did do an excellent job in blitz pickup - he saved Flacco from at LEAST 3-4 sacks on his own.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #8
Pi Kapp Steeler
Team Captain

Edge if he is in , is one of the better pass blocking RBs in the league. Ask peyton , he knows. Keep HIGHTOWR IN!
Old 01-21-2009, 10:55 AM   #9
TheSteelCurtain
Starter
Supporter

No offense to Mewelde or Willie but that was one of the reasons i loved Veron Haynes...He did a great job picking people up as well.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:02 AM   #10
atlsteelers
Starter

Member Number: 216

i think tomlin's schemes are really starting to mesh with lebeau. in the baltimore game we played a lot zone deffense instead of stacking the line agianst the run.

i am thinking that lebeau and tomlin will come up with something to get warner to show his age.
atlsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote