Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-21-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
BlackAndGold4Ever
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 8179
Default Life as a Steelers fan in NJ

Last week a Ratbirds fan brought up a point about how there are many "band wagon" fans across the country in which I responded with the fact that I was truly born a Steelers fan. That post got me thinking though, about how hard it was to be a Steelers fan so far away from the Pittsburgh media when I was growing up. I was born in 1981 and truly started gaining an understanding for the game probably sometime in 1987 when I was 6 years old (not saying I knew what I know now) but enough to know what was going on. The only coverage of football was the Jets and Giants. My great aunt from 1986-1996 would send me the monday sports section from the Post Gazette every week just so I could read about what I couldn't see (albeit a week late lol). I still remember being 6 years old in my footy pajamas watching the Jets games, not to watch the Jets but to see the score of my beloved Steelers (while reading about last weeks game in the Gazette. All those memory's of the 80's got the wheels turning and I started thinking about how easy it is to be a fan of a team that is not in your state nowadays. I had to rely on my aunt in the 80's and early 90's for news, but now with the internet it's so so so much easier to acquire any tidbit of info at anytime anywhere in the world. That being said, its so so so much easier to be a bandwagon fan as well. Maybe the fans that jumped on board this year may stick around for a few more years untill we have a losing season again, however maybe some will have found the love and pride we have as Steeler fans and will stay on board forever. Anyway HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO! Lets get to work on that other hand

www.steelersinhoboken.com
BlackAndGold4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,150 Times in 1,323 Posts
My Mood: Inspired
Default Re: Life as a Steelers fan in NJ

Somebody bought me a Steelers jacket in the mid-70s (I was about 6-7 years old). I LOVED that jacket!!!! ...and the first time I put it on a new Steelers fan was born. Guess you could call me a lifelong bandwagoneer, but I couldn't care less about that BS.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:59 PM   #3
TheSteelCurtain
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 10715

My parents dressed me up as Terry Bradshaw for halloween when i was 5 or 6 and never turned back.

Not to mention is i was not a steelers fan im not sure my dad would feed me or let me live at home.

If i couldnt be at the games or get to see the games every week i dont know what i would do. I imagine when i do my funeral service will have something to do with the steelers. Helmet sticker on Casket or Steelers URN.
TheSteelCurtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
Big7BenHOF
Team Captain

Member Number: 5192

Considering I'm from California, I was expected to obviously be a 49ers/Raiders fan.

However, the first game I remember watching was a Steelers-Raiders game when I was about 6/7. I loved Jerome Bettis and the way the Steelers played football. I had never really "followed" the team as I do nowadays, but I'd always check the scores and whatnot. A few years later, I had really, really started following them, and since then, I've been a Steelers fan.

In fact, over the Summer, I got my first tattoo, and it was the Steelers logo. It was hard to find someone to do it considering I'm only 16 (you have to be 18), but I got it.

Go Steelers!
Old 02-05-2009, 09:47 PM   #5
Wolverine1975
Water Boy

Member Number: 10639

Wow...make that a third New Jerseyan on this thread who is a Steelers fan. Parents liked the Steelers in the '70s. In a 1981 picture of me and my sister, I am wearing a Mean Joe jersey (#75). Coincidentally, 75 was also the year I was born.

Down the block from me a banner reading "You're In Steelers Country" is still hanging over someone's front fence.

Lots of New Jerseyans are Steeler fans, even if we're somwhere between 5-6 hours away from Pittsburgh (depending on location!).
Old 02-06-2009, 10:35 AM   #6
Pi Kapp Steeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 11049

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAndGold4Ever View Post
Last week a Ratbirds fan brought up a point about how there are many "band wagon" fans across the country in which I responded with the fact that I was truly born a Steelers fan. That post got me thinking though, about how hard it was to be a Steelers fan so far away from the Pittsburgh media when I was growing up. I was born in 1981 and truly started gaining an understanding for the game probably sometime in 1987 when I was 6 years old (not saying I knew what I know now) but enough to know what was going on. The only coverage of football was the Jets and Giants. My great aunt from 1986-1996 would send me the monday sports section from the Post Gazette every week just so I could read about what I couldn't see (albeit a week late lol). I still remember being 6 years old in my footy pajamas watching the Jets games, not to watch the Jets but to see the score of my beloved Steelers (while reading about last weeks game in the Gazette. All those memory's of the 80's got the wheels turning and I started thinking about how easy it is to be a fan of a team that is not in your state nowadays. I had to rely on my aunt in the 80's and early 90's for news, but now with the internet it's so so so much easier to acquire any tidbit of info at anytime anywhere in the world. That being said, its so so so much easier to be a bandwagon fan as well. Maybe the fans that jumped on board this year may stick around for a few more years untill we have a losing season again, however maybe some will have found the love and pride we have as Steeler fans and will stay on board forever. Anyway HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO! Lets get to work on that other hand
Im from Jersey as well, and my two families loved opposite NY teams. My dads side of the family were J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS and my moms side were the G-Men. So every Christmas I would get gear from each family , almost trying to recruit me as a fan haha. But my parents split when I was seven, I felt like I had to pick a neutral team that would not disappoint anybody. Ya they probably didn't care that much but I was seven i didn't know any better! I have been riding the Steelers since the Bubby Brister, Neil O'donnell era!

Ya im a little young.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:41 AM   #7
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,150 Times in 1,323 Posts
My Mood: Inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi Kapp Steeler View Post
Im from Jersey as well, and my two families loved opposite NY teams. My dads side of the family were J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS and my moms side were the G-Men. So every Christmas I would get gear from each family , almost trying to recruit me as a fan haha. But my parents split when I was seven, I felt like I had to pick a neutral team that would not disappoint anybody. Ya they probably didn't care that much but I was seven i didn't know any better! I have been riding the Steelers since the Bubby Brister, Neil O'donnell era!

Ya im a little young.
My Dad is a Giants fan. Before Directv (and in the 80's) I watched a lot of the real LT.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:42 AM   #8
Pi Kapp Steeler
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine1975 View Post
Wow...make that a third New Jerseyan on this thread who is a Steelers fan. Parents liked the Steelers in the '70s. In a 1981 picture of me and my sister, I am wearing a Mean Joe jersey (#75). Coincidentally, 75 was also the year I was born.

Down the block from me a banner reading "You're In Steelers Country" is still hanging over someone's front fence.

Lots of New Jerseyans are Steeler fans, even if we're somwhere between 5-6 hours away from Pittsburgh (depending on location!).

I think growing up in NJ you can relate to the Steelers mentality.
Hard working class people - Harding hitting team

I relate to the Dedicated fans, The close knit feeling of the origination , the brotherhood amongst the players, and THE SMASH MOUTH FOOTBALL
Old 02-06-2009, 10:47 AM   #9
Pi Kapp Steeler
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarDen86 View Post
My Dad is a Giants fan. Before Directv (and in the 80's) I watched a lot of the real LT.
Same here! I met him once as a child at a Firemans fair. I was with my Dad and he was in line to get on a rid with his kids. And like a loud obnoxious kid that I was I scream "OMG LAWRENCE TAYLOR!!!" He turned around ,smiled and waved.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:51 AM   #10
Pi Kapp Steeler
Team Captain

He was very intimidating