Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-21-2009, 08:38 PM   #1
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172
Default Reed is a goofball

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

Pittsburgh Steelers kicker Jeff reed
AP - Jan 21, 3:20 pm EST NFL Gallery PITTSBURGH (AP)—From his piled-high platinum hair to his funny sayings and off-the-wall behavior, Jeff Reed is the life of the Pittsburgh Steelers’ party.

If there’s a tense moment during practice or a game, Reed is the player most likely to bring levity. The Steelers’ locker room bulletin board offers proof, with a half-dozen photos of Reed’s face superimposed on those of men and women alike with bushy, dyed-blond hair.

“He is a goofball, no question about it,” defensive lineman Chris Hoke said Wednesday. “See all these pictures on the wall? He’s kind of a guy that gets everyone laughing all the time.”

Except when he lines up a kick.

Reed often gets overlooked when the NFL’s top kickers are mentioned, but it’s evident his teammates have as much confidence in him as any kicker in the game.

“Jeff Reed never disappoints us,” coach Mike Tomlin said. “We take for granted what he does. I’m not shy about saying that when he takes the field, it’s got to be three points. I think it takes a unique personality to do what he does.”

Unique indeed.

Reed is the son of former Wichita State basketball player Morris Reed—mom Pam was a cheerleader—but he played soccer most of his athletic career. He spent only three seasons as a kicker at any level, all of them after walking on at North Carolina, before signing with the Steelers following a midseason tryout in 2002.

Since going 1-for-3 as a rookie, Reed hasn’t missed a postseason field-goal attempt. He is 3-for-3 in these playoffs and 13-for-13 since 2004, even though Heinz Field’s often-spotty grass is considered by opposing players to be the NFL’s worst playing field.

Having a kicker that consistent gives an offense confidence that no drive will be wasted.

“Any time Jeff Reed goes on the field, we count it as three points,” quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said.

A year ago, Reed was about as perfect as a kicker can be—his only two misses in 25 attempts were a desperation 65-yarder at Denver and a 44-yarder in ankle-deep mud at Heinz. He has been nearly as good this season, going 30-for-34, counting the playoffs, despite changing snappers at midseason and holders several times.

“It’s tough to have snappers and holders shuffled around on you during the year, and he’s handled it very well—maybe not always had the best attitude about it, but he’s getting the job done,” punter Daniel Sepulveda said, laughing.

Asked to name the NFL’s best clutch kicker, many fans probably would suggest Adam Vinatieri, who has made so many key kicks for the Patriots and Colts. But while Vinatieri ranks only 13th in NFL career field goal percentage (331-of-403, 82.1 percent), Reed is eighth at 82.7 percent (162-of-196).

In the last two minutes of a game, when games often are won or lost, Reed is 27-of-33 (81.8 percent), Vinatieri is 70-of-90 (77.8 percent). He had two game-winners in the final minute this season.

“He’s a professional when it comes to his game day. He takes his practice very seriously and his game very seriously,” Sepulveda said. “When he’s in the zone, he’s in the zone. When he’s not in the zone? He knows how to have fun.”

That’s evident from the easy-to-find pictures on the Internet displaying Reed when he, uhh, lets his platinum hair down. He’s single and he enjoys it, from his courtside seats at Pitt basketball games to his nights on the town.

“There will be times when everybody’s a little more tense than normal the week of a game, and he’s out here messing around, laughing and joking, doing his thing,” Hoke said. “The guys are laughing and everybody’s getting loosened up.”

Still, every teammate asked about him echoed what Sepulveda said: Reed is Mr. Fun Guy during light moments, but that doesn’t take away from preparation, professionalism and intensity.

“In my position, if you put too much pressure on yourself, you’re not going to be here very long,” the 29-year-old Reed said. “Each day I go home, I evaluate myself—obviously, people don’t know that. … I’m a perfectionist, I don’t care what the conditions are, how far it is, if I’m given the chance to kick the ball, I expect to make everything.”

The Steelers will expect him to make everything against Arizona in the Super Bowl, his second in four seasons. He didn’t attempt any field goals against Seattle three years ago, but he knows that’s not likely to happen in this game.

“I was good on the soccer field, but I didn’t realize I had this talent— it was hidden,” Reed said. “I’m just glad enough people pressured me to try it.”

Since then, Reed has handled the considerable pressures of being a kicker as well as anybody.

“Your boss here isn’t putting so much pressure on you that you can’t perform,” Reed said. “We’re not putting too much pressure on ourselves so we can’t perform. It’s a great atmosphere, we joke and have a good time, but when it’s time to work, we work.”

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:44 PM   #2
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891
Default Re: Reed is a goofball

He is pretty clutch. I'm a huge fan of his kicks.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:45 PM   #3
NEPAsteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 11528

He's a great, clutch kicker. Let him have his fun!
NEPAsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:50 PM   #4
WWIIOwheelz
Team Captain

Member Number: 1323

I ran into him one day at a service station. He was gassing up his orange Lamborghini, and I'm almost ashamed to admit that I drooled over his car so much, I had no idea who he was until he drove off. He's a lot bigger in person than you figure a kicker to be.
WWIIOwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:58 PM   #5
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Clutch when it counts....does not get the league reconition he deserves.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:14 PM   #6
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I absolutely LOVE Jeff Reed. His sense of humor is much like mine (warped - LOL!) and he loves to have fun, dances to the beat of his own drum and embraces life (we also have those things in common). Last week, Pompeani had him on his show and Pompeani had his hair shaved on the side and spiked - it was hilarious! Eric and I see Jeff at a lot of Pens home games (as well as Hines) and they always show him on the Jumbotron smiling and waving or giving the peace sign.

Mr. Clutch really doesn't get the due around the league that he deserves. I'd rather have him in the black 'n gold than any other active kicker in the NFL.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:30 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,333 Times in 3,528 Posts

hes another pro bowl snub.

i remember the story of him always asking cowher for those skinnier goalposts to practice on. cowher never got them.

as soon as tomlin came aboard, he got them. tomlins attitude was "anything that he thinks will get him better".

reed does look huge. i'd place money on him and sepulveda in a fight over any other kicker tandem in the league.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:45 PM   #8
Bob Russell
Water Boy

Member Number: 11888

Jeff is a realy nice guy. My son and I met him at one of the Steelers Fantasy Camps. He hung out with us and was just an ordinary fun person. Maybe I missed something. Like Jeff, I'm an old farm boy with a warped sense of humor too. Just ask my wife and kids. LOL!!! I love the way he gets the job done!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:47 PM   #9
TheSteelCurtain
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 10715

Sepulved Knocks someone the fhug out.
TheSteelCurtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:54 PM   #10
Steelers
Starter

Member Number: 2373

I always see Reed at the Pitt hoops games. Hell of a kicker that guy.