Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-22-2009, 03:29 AM   #1
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Scouting the Steelers for the SB

So let's scout the Steelers against the Ravens.

First. Ray Lewis is an idiot.

And I don't know about FB, but Davis can CRANK people on ST's.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:32 AM   #2
Preacher
Living Legend

Default Re: Scouting the Steelers for the SB

Offensive line: First play, they got a bit of a push... there were also 9 in the box. Willie still got 3 yards.

Hartwig got NO push forward... but still moved the guy to the side to open the hole--- veteran move.

By the end of the first drive, there was only 1 real pressure on teh QB. The Ravens D rushed 6. Ben was forced to get it out faster... or maybe not. Ngata may have caused it. Never the less, it was a very impressive performance in teh Pass blocking by the Steelers. They got a little push on the rush, but not much. Then again, with the number 3 rush D, it is actually not bad.

Wow, again, Our line is very good in pass protection. Willie parker looks like he either got the lights in his eyes, or he saw Spaeth coming acrossed and got a little worried.

They keep rushing 5 or 6, and we keep picking it up. On Holmes touchdown/no catch catch... They got to Ben. The LOLB came through right behind the MLB. MeMo cuts the first guy coming in, but the second comes free. However, the ball is already out of Ben's hands.

Next play, they bring 7... the TE breaks off, so one follows him. 6 rushers... and Ben has all the time he needs.

Bringing four does nothing. Ben gets all the time,and can pick the zone coverages apart.

On BEn's sandlot football TD, the Ravens brought 7 people on the blitz. Starks gets beat like a rented mule at an anger managment convention. Heath Miller lined up in a 2 tailback formation. He stepped up and CRANKED some kid. WOW. That gave Ben the open space to move to the left. We lined up 5 and 2 back, so it was man to man downfield.

LIne doesn't get much of a push in teh run game. On Ben's sack in the 3rd quarter... that is the lines fault. Stapleton pulled to the left and wiffed on Suggs coming through.

Sad too. Because the Ravens were rushing 5. The two LB's bit on the PA just a second, which is fast enough in this league.

Wide Receivers

I'm watching Ward run after his injury. If this was the SB, and we were losing. I think Ward stays in. He should be fine for the SB.

LIMAS SWEED: Ok. He actually misjudged the ball. His stride overly lengthened just before he reached out. THAT is why the ball it him in the fingers, instead of the hands. That is a PURE rookie mistake based on game speed. However, his move off the line had VETERAN written ALL OVER IT. WOW. If this kid can get the game speed down, he is going to be DANGEROUS. Corey Ivy should also be counting his lucky stars that he got hit by the rookie who doesn't know the game speed. Sweed started extended on his hit too late. They had already hit when he was really exploding out of his crouch... thats right, CROUCH to hit Ivy. Sweed was going to take off the top half of Ivy's body. But the game is just a bit fast for him... and he couldn't extend yet. IVY should ALSO be thankful that Sweed hasn't filled out yet. That kid is a beenpole. A few years later, and ivy would probably have been laying next to McGahee. It had all the makings of a Ward hit in Bungleland.

Last edited by Preacher; 01-22-2009 at 05:20 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:41 AM   #3
Preacher
Living Legend

WOW... Our D.

We are rushing only 3 or 4. Our DB is excellent. BTW, Harrison is getting MUGGED.

We REALLY swarm to teh ball.

Both their running backs are BIG, STRONG, and FRESH. I don't see Arizona like that. James may be Fresh, but he can't stiff arm our LB's like that.

We should have had a few more sacks. McGahee did a nice job blocking. I don't know Arizona... do they have a RB that is big enough to block like that... yet fast enough like that as well? If so, they will do a decent job. If not, Dang, Timmons was on the QB in about 1.2 seconds... and the QB was in the shotgun too.R

Timmons ran down Rice from behind as well. That kid is SO DANG FAST. He just pumps his arms and MOVES.

Last edited by Preacher; 01-22-2009 at 05:04 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:57 AM   #4
Preacher
Living Legend

Ben:

Wow. He is off balance, HORRIBLE form, throwing from the wrong foot almost... but he is outside the pocket... and he throws a VERY TIGHT spiral RIGHT TO Miller. OVer the D. and dropped it right in. Very impressive.

The sack in the second half.. 3rd quarter, Ben had the ball for 7 seconds. 5 of those, he had no pressure. You can't expect the line to block for much more than that... (Ravens brought 5 on this play. It seems that might be the best way to stop Ben. Bring 5 and drop six into a man/zone mix.

On the sack in the 4th quarter after the 2-2yard runs: At first I thought, DANG starks was slow. But I watched it again because NO HUMAN should be THAT slow. . . Here is what I saw. That sack is ALL HARTWIGS FAULT. He snapped the ball too soon. Ben is in the shotgun. Hartwig snapped it. NO ONE but Hartwig is even MOVING until the ball is already in hands of Ben. I mean, Hartwig is STANDING UP, and the ENTIRE REST OF TEH LINE is still in their crouch. The RB is looking to his right and is caught off gaurd. The WR's aren't even off the line until the ball is in Ben's hands. Dang Hartwig. YOu played pretty good tonight. BUt that sack was your miscue. Completely.

Last edited by Preacher; 01-22-2009 at 05:36 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:58 AM   #5
Preacher
Living Legend

PLAY SELECTION:

Steelers have 12 pass plays and only 6 running plays. They are walking up the field on the Ravens.

At this point, the play calls are excellent.

So what happened to our Running game? I am noticing that they were completely sold out for it. Seldom do I see 4 rushers. usually, it is 5, 6, and sometimes 7.

I PRAY Arizona rushes that many next week. They aren't the Defense that Baltimore is. We can pick that apart... and then when they back off, Willie can start hitting some big runs.

I wonder if Willie was TOLD to keep the runs inside. I have seen a few times now where if he bounced to the outside... he would have had quite a bit of room. I wonder if they purposefully played it conservative for some reason.

Last edited by Preacher; 01-22-2009 at 05:07 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:01 AM   #6
Preacher
Living Legend

Ray Lewis' caused fumble of Willie...

Completely ILLEGAL.

He clubbed Willie in the face mask with his forearm. It looked similar to the shot Lynn Swann took against the Raiders (I think it was) in the second SB run.

KEYRON FOX NEEDS TO LEARN ABOUT SOCK PARTIES. (Do I really want him to have one? Of course not).

On the punt that was returned most of the way, Fox had the center lane. He also had a bead on the returner As he was catching the ball. Instead, he jumped in front of a defensive player to draw a "blocking in the back" penalty. Smartly, the guy put his hands straight up in the air. Fox then sees the returner come straight through the hole he left. But it is too late because because Fox is falling down trying to get the penalty. He LITERALLY moved AWAY from the returner to get infront the guy to draw the penalty. Result? No penalty, and except for our punter, a TD. BTW, NICE FORCED FUMBLE MITCH!

Throw Ike Taylor in with that.

He was staring the receiver in the face... and threw up his hands AS THE RECEIVER was slowing down... but looking right PASSED Ike. If Ike spun around.. No penalty. If Ike kept his hands down and defended his spot. No penalty. Ike got a bit scared I think... he thought he was beat... and that caused the penalty.

Last edited by Preacher; 01-22-2009 at 05:26 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:51 AM   #7
Preacher
Living Legend

Thoughts as the game is compelted.

1. If Arizona had a good TE, they could pick us apart underneath. They don't.

2. Our speed is unbelievable. I don't know if AZ has seen anything like our team speed.

3. Our physicality is brutal.

4. In the end, we won that game because we protected the ball, we took theh ball away, and we got into the Raven's heads and got a 15 yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct. . . AGAIN. That penalty drove them back... made them get more yards while protecting even more. Thus, Troy was free instead of covering the TE who was in to block when Troy got the INT. And that is a big key. Without a good TE to tie Troy up, he is going to be free to ball hawk and roam all day.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:04 AM   #8
hindes204
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 7614

Hey Preacher, Do you ever sleep? :)

Good analysis...i agree with all of it
Old 01-22-2009, 01:48 PM   #9
AllD
Team Owner

Member Number: 11931

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
PLAY SELECTION:

Steelers have 12 pass plays and only 6 running plays. They are walking up the field on the Ravens.

At this point, the play calls are excellent.

So what happened to our Running game? I am noticing that they were completely sold out for it. Seldom do I see 4 rushers. usually, it is 5, 6, and sometimes 7.

I PRAY Arizona rushes that many next week. They aren't the Defense that Baltimore is. We can pick that apart... and then when they back off, Willie can start hitting some big runs.

I wonder if Willie was TOLD to keep the runs inside. I have seen a few times now where if he bounced to the outside... he would have had quite a bit of room. I wonder if they purposefully played it conservative for some reason.

If you and I noticed the same thing, you bet Whiz did too. Just keeping some plays close and not go too deeply into the playbook. The Cards may have already shot their load just to get to the SB.
AllD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:59 PM   #10
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Arizona has a MUCH better punter than ours, which can only be transalted into a Steelers loss.