Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-22-2009, 01:57 PM   #21
drizze99
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1070
Default Re: don't overlook the cardinals

You can't even talk about the Panthers win... I mean Del-Homey was a turnover machine! 6 turnovers by himself! NO team can win when they do that.

I really don't think you will be able to run 11 personnel on us all day long. I am thinking you'll have to either go 12 personnel or 21 personnel.

"You win by attrition. You impose your will on your opponent." ~ Mike Tomlin
drizze99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:57 PM   #22
82CardsGrad
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12135

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
By whom, exactly? That title belongs to LeBeau, and it's not really all that close. Sorry, but statements like these are why I personally can't take you seriously.
There were many "experts" who claimed JJ was the best. Of course Steeler fans would not agree and frankly, I don't agree either.
He's very, very good. You don't do what he's done for as long as he's done it, by luck...
Same for Lebeau... and yes, Lebeau has done it better!
82CardsGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:01 PM   #23
CPanther95
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 11672

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizze99 View Post
You can't even talk about the Panthers win... I mean Del-Homey was a turnover machine! 6 turnovers by himself! NO team can win when they do that.
Except the Steelers.

1975 AFC Championship: Steelers won with 8 turnovers (Oakland had 5)
Old 01-22-2009, 02:02 PM   #24
82CardsGrad
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12135

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizze99 View Post

I really don't think you will be able to run 11 personnel on us all day long. I am thinking you'll have to either go 12 personnel or 21 personnel.
Some believe (none here perhaps), that the Cards helped Del-Homey commit those 6 turnovers...
82CardsGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:11 PM   #25
draejr
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 11949

I still can't understand why the Panthers abandoned the run in that game. While Delhome was terrible or the Cardinal D was that good, I think the play calling was horrendous for the Panthers.

As far as upsets go, I don't believe that a Cardinal win over the Steelers would be all that shocking - it's just so shocking that they made it this far. In my opinion the Steelers are not a dominating team and allow teams to stay in the game.

It would not shock me if they beat the Steelers (I'd be pissed). I think when you just talk about the Cardinals being so bad for so long, it's hard to imagine them being in the SuperBowl and actually winning it.

However if they can beat the #1 D, then they deserve it.
draejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:12 PM   #26
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82CardsGrad View Post
There were many "experts" who claimed JJ was the best. Of course Steeler fans would not agree and frankly, I don't agree either.
He's very, very good. You don't do what he's done for as long as he's done it, by luck...
Same for Lebeau... and yes, Lebeau has done it better!
Please, cite some of these "experts." I can show cold, hard empirical data to back my claim up.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:05 PM   #27
CPanther95
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 11672

Give LeBeau a Herschel Walker-esque trade worth of draft picks and in 10 years the Top 5 defenses in the league will be anchored by multiple ex-Steelers.

... and the Steeler Rule will be instituted that allows offenses 5 downs to get a first down on any drive following five "3&out" drives.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:19 PM   #28
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
Could be an easy win for Pittsburgh. Afterall, they are the worst team (9-7) to make the SB since the Steelers beat the Rams.

BUT... football is all about how teams match-up.

- Kurt Warner is the best at beating the one thing the Steelers do best: blitz.

- And he has the best recievers in the game.

- And he has the Steelers Super Bowl winning offensive coach.

- And they now are playing solid football, they are not a fluke (i.e. titans)

I think this will be a great game to watch but the Cardinals match up well with the Steelers.

What was wrong with the Steelers team that beat the Rams? If you matched up them Steelers to todays, I think they win.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:31 PM   #29
GodofGridiron
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10597

Cardinal fans would have you believe that there isnt much of a difference between Philly's defense and the Steelers defense. Theres big differences in the way they attack. Philly will often show base coverage then walk two men up and show blitz presnap. This still plays into Warners favor cuz hes got options and a hot route receiver he can sling it to so he can negate the blitz. In the Philly game the Eagles walked a safety and a LB up to the line and showed blitz, Warner simple got a read presnap and decided that if they came he'd target the direction of the blitz which would leave either the RB or TE wide open for big yardage.

Where Pitt is different lies in its cover skills of most of its LB's and the DB's and safeties. Pitt will show u blitz and walk a man or two up to the line. After that, this is where the similarities end between JJ and LeBeau. Warner might think "okay Troy might come as well as Woodley and James.....so ill go thru my check and see where they come from and hit the backside of the blitz to make em pay". Once the ball is hiked this is where the chaos that so many OC's and QB's refer to. Troy will indeed come, but others (not sure whom) will drop off in coverage including a lineman. Those reads and lanes that were anticipated no longer exist and the speed of those coming can still apply enough pressure to get the sack or at least for a bad throw. There simply isnt much to choose from as far as targets go. Pitts linebackers do a marvelous job in coverage and they all have good footspeed with great instincts and field smarts. Those subjects that do rush use their angles effectively to try and flush the QB out of the comfort zone and get them moving. It truly is chaotic to a QB because the reads u though were clear really arent. You can take a gamble and throw it if you want..........but u might pay. If you swallow the ball u still might pay with a sack. Whats a QB to do. This is exactly what Peyton experience in 05 during the playoffs.

These two defenses (Philly and Steelers) are not that similar.
GodofGridiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:07 AM   #30
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

My favorite part of watching the Cards fans talk smack is the use of their "facts".

I have learned that:

Kurt Warner is the best in the league at picking up sacks. Why? Because Cards fans say so.

Jimmy Johnson was the best DC in the league. Why? Because Cards fans said so.

The Steelers only have a "slight edge". Why? Because the Cards fans say so.

It's a chicken or egg scenario. Were they the least knowledgable fans all along, and we are just now noticing it, or are they just postulating all this utter nonsense now that they have a forum in which to do so?