Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-23-2009, 05:34 PM   #61
GodofGridiron
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10597
Default Re: don't overlook the cardinals

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82CardsGrad View Post
JJ's scheme really never worked... We owned him in the 1st, 2nd, and 4th quarters... In the 3rd, Haley got conservative with the play-calling and the Eagles took advantage...

And no doubt, the Eagles don't have anywhere near the playmakers of the Steelers!
By conservative you mean what exactly.....elaborate.
GodofGridiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:45 PM   #62
82CardsGrad
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Here's the kicker for me.

We have now played two teams that can hit the "homerun ball." The Chargers were supposed to be a threat everytime they touched the ball. The Ravens with their non-rookie rookie QB were supposed to be a threat everything they touched the ball.

Now I am not taking anything away from Warner or the receivers. They are very good. However, it seems to me that we have had quite some experience in defending against this type of offense.

This year alone, our D shut down Philly, the Giants, the Patriots*, the Colts (while Manning WAS playing well), the Ravens (Second game when the rookie was supposed to be on fire and the playoffs), and the Chargers (twice counting playoffs). Sure, we lost the games against eh Colts, Philly, and the Giants. BUt that was because our offense was misfiring at the time.

So we aren't facing something new here. On top of that, we play teh BUngles twice a year. Now, while they haven't done well the last two years, we are used to gameplanning for a big pocket-passing, three-receiver team. This is nothing new at all.
Good points Preacher... As you might imagine, I need to add a bit to it though...

1.) The Ravens?? Flacco?? C'mon man.. doesn't even belong in the same covnersation when discussing the Cardinal offense...

2.) Contrary to popular belief, the Cards are not built to be a "home-run" type of offense. Yes, Fitz has produced some amazing, deep catches this post season... But the bread & butter of our offense is actually a ball control offense via the pass... Because of the timing, the reads and the athleticism of our WR's, Kurt is typically tossing the ball on very quick ins and outs, and our WR's do their thing to grab additional yards. Reality is that our offense resembles a more methodical type offense than a big-play, home run offense...

3.) Even if you guys were facing something "new", I'm not sure it would matter much as your defense and Lebeau are just that good. The only thing I can say is that I don't believe you have faced anything this good... not necessarily new, but an offense that is playing as well as any offense has played in a very long time... Still might not be enough... but that's all we got...

82CardsGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:53 PM   #63
82CardsGrad
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodofGridiron View Post
By conservative you mean what exactly.....elaborate.
Here are the playcalls during the 3rd quarter:

Arizona Cardinals at 12:02
1-10-PHI 43 (12:02) E.James up the middle to PHI 39 for 4 yards (T.Cole).
2-6-PHI 39 (11:19) (Shotgun) PENALTY on ARZ-M.Gandy, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at PHI 39 - No Play.
2-11-PHI 44 (11:01) (Shotgun) E.James up the middle to PHI 42 for 2 yards (V.Abiamiri).
3-9-PHI 42 (10:19) (Shotgun) K.Warner pass incomplete deep middle to A.Boldin [T.Cole].
4-9-PHI 42 (10:19) B.Graham punts 32 yards to PHI 10, Center-N.Hodel, fair catch by D.Jackson.

Arizona Cardinals at 4:08
1-10-ARZ 35 (4:08) K.Warner pass incomplete short right to B.Patrick [B.Bunkley].
2-10-ARZ 35 (4:04) (Shotgun) K.Warner pass incomplete short right to T.Hightower [T.Cole].
3-10-ARZ 35 (4:01) K.Warner sacked at ARZ 30 for -5 yards (V.Abiamiri).
4-15-ARZ 30 (3:54) B.Graham punts 44 yards to PHI 26, Center-N.Hodel. D.Jackson to PHI 39 for 13 yards (C.Campbell).

Arizona Cardinals at 0:49
1-10-ARZ 20 (:49) E.James left tackle to ARZ 23 for 3 yards (M.Patterson).
2-7-ARZ 23 (:11) (Shotgun) K.Warner pass short middle to K.Warner to ARZ 27 for 4 yards (T.Cole). Warner pass batted by Hansen back to Warner

Combined with our defense being seriously winded, we coughed up the 3rd quarter...
By some contrast, here is the 4th quarter drive play-calling:

Arizona Cardinals at 10:45, (1st play from scrimmage 10:39)
1-10-ARZ 28 (10:39) E.James left tackle to ARZ 27 for -1 yards (B.Bunkley).
2-11-ARZ 27 (10:00) K.Warner pass short left to L.Fitzgerald to ARZ 42 for 15 yards (J.Hanson). P17
1-10-ARZ 42 (9:24) K.Warner pass short right to L.Pope to PHI 49 for 9 yards (S.Bradley).
2-1-PHI 49 (8:47) E.James up the middle to 50 for -1 yards (C.Gocong).
3-2-50 (8:03) T.Hightower left tackle to PHI 49 for 1 yard (A.Jordan).
4-1-PHI 49 (7:57) T.Hightower right end pushed ob at PHI 43 for 6 yards (B.Dawkins). R18
1-10-PHI 43 (7:21) E.James up the middle to PHI 41 for 2 yards (M.Patterson).
2-8-PHI 41 (6:36) K.Warner pass short right to L.Fitzgerald to PHI 23 for 18 yards (A.Samuel). P19
1-10-PHI 23 (5:52) E.James right tackle to PHI 20 for 3 yards (A.Jordan, T.Laws).
2-7-PHI 20 (5:13) K.Warner pass short left to L.Fitzgerald to PHI 14 for 6 yards (A.Samuel, Q.Demps).
3-1-PHI 14 (4:26) T.Hightower right tackle to PHI 9 for 5 yards (B.Dawkins, Q.Demps). R20
1-9-PHI 9 (3:44) E.James up the middle to PHI 9 for no gain (T.Laws).
2-9-PHI 9 (3:06) T.Hightower left tackle to PHI 8 for 1 yard (D.Howard).
Timeout #2 by PHI at 02:59.
3-8-PHI 8 (2:59) (Shotgun) K.Warner pass short left to T.Hightower for 8 yards, TOUCHDOWN. P21
(Run formation) TWO-POINT CONVERSION ATTEMPT. K.Warner pass to B.Patrick is complete. ATTEMPT
SUCCEEDS.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:11 PM   #64
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,828 Times in 920 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82CardsGrad View Post
Edge shouldn't scare you... yes, he's fresh. But all that means is that instead of busting a run for 2 yards that should have gone for 12, he'll now bust it for 4...

He's shot. Still a warrior. Still able to pick up the blitz. Still able to eliminate negative yards. But it's frustrating for us when we see runs that could go for 20, 30 yards, if not all the way to the house, go for 8...

Breaston has much more of an ability to hurt you than does Edge. Steve can take it to the house from anywhere on the field as our return man and a 1,000 yard receiver...

You can control Edge. Your defense will be too strong and too fast for Edge to deal with...
I think the only chance we have is to out-scheme and out-speed you, and Edge certainly won't have a big part in that gameplan...
If the Steelers blitz, Edge can be the outlet on a swing pass or pickup a block. He can also run an effective draw from a 4 wide set.

Breaston can run vertical and that is it. If he isnt returning the football, he doesnt really concern me as much as Fitz, Boldin, Edge or Hightower. Again, I know Breaston and watched him all the time at Michigan. 4.45 speed, but a long strider that needs to get going. Nate Washington is quicker, faster and a bigger deep threat than Breaston.......we just dont throw the ball as much as the Cards.
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:59 PM   #65
82CardsGrad
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyychoward86 View Post
We've faced offenses better balanced than the cards, which is the long way to say better offense. You say the cardinals offense is that good, when in reality you should be saying their pass game has been that good. Im scratching my head on all of this talk of their "running game is working now."

A couple statistics in the playoffs:

vs. Atlanta's 25th ranked rush defense: Arizona produces 86 rush yards on 28 attempts for an average of 3.07 yards per carry

vs. Carolina's 20th ranked rush defense: Arizona produces 145 rush yards on 43 attempts for an average of 3.37 yards per carry

vs. Philly's 4th ranked rush defense: Arizona produces 102 rush yards on 29 attempts for an average of 3.52 yards per carry

The YPC improved by about.....uh...... 0.45 yards over the course of the wild card game to the NFC championship? I dont think they were impressive running the ball against any of those teams. Sure, Philly had a great rush defense, but they were playing pass nearly the whole game because Kurt Warner's arm was carrying the cardinals. He was 21-28 for 279 yards and 4 TD's that game. You gotta watch the pass when the opposing QB plays that way. Zona has an amazing QB and an amazing receiving corps, but a run game? I think anybody who thinks they have a legitamate one is in over their head. The best rush D of the 3 up there is Philly, and the Steelers run defense makes Philly's run defense look like nothing.
I think it was you who posted this in a seperate thread devoted to this very topic... As I said in that thread, the Cards most certainly do not have a rushing attack... What we have done is improved the run game just enough to create just enough of a threat that allows us fully open up our passing attack...A 3.5 yard per carry average is just enough...