Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-22-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
hindes204
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 7614
Default Should they forfeit??

Texas girls hoops team seeks forfeit of 100-0 win
The Associated Press
Published: Thursday, Jan. 22, 2009

DALLAS -- A Texas high school girls basketball team on the winning end of a 100-0 blowout has apologized to the losing school, calling the game "shameful and an embarrassment."

Officials from The Covenant School, a private Christian school in Dallas, said Thursday they are seeking to forfeit the win because "victory without honor is a great loss."

Covenant defeated The Dallas Academy 100-0 on Jan. 13. Covenant led 59-0 at halftime.

The Dallas Academy has eight girls on its varsity team and just 20 girls in the school. The academy specializes in teaching students with what it calls "learning differences," such as short attention spans or difficulty in concentrating.

http://www.sacbee.com/859/story/1565596.html
Old 01-22-2009, 07:48 PM   #2
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398
Default Re: Should they forfeit??

I'll leave it up to the school officials about the forfeit but what I see there is a coach who wants to teach his kids something more than winning.

That in and of itself is impressive!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:11 PM   #3
BehindSteelCurtain
Team Captain

Member Number: 11279

Is it he other team's fault that they suck? If the are complaining that they lost by so much than maybe they shouldn't have a basketball team. The other team was just playing.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:21 PM   #4
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindSteelCurtain View Post
Is it he other team's fault that they suck? If the are complaining that they lost by so much than maybe they shouldn't have a basketball team. The other team was just playing.
That's the thing, though.

I don't think anyone complained on the losing end. They probably just took their lumps and realized that they just don't have the team to compete.

If they lost 100-0 they are probably used to being whomped.

In hindsight, from what I gather, they probably realized what a d*** move it was.

Now they want to say "my bad."
Old 01-23-2009, 10:56 AM   #5
TheSteelCurtain
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 10715

Im amazed that you didnt manage to score a point. Eventually you would have to get the ball across midcourt. If they fired up enough shots you would think one would have to go in.

Like the other team is gonna take the forfeit anyways, that would look even worse than loosing by a 100.

However i do feel it is a nice move by the coach and players of the winning team.
TheSteelCurtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:03 PM   #6
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSteelCurtain View Post
Im amazed that you didnt manage to score a point. Eventually you would have to get the ball across midcourt. If they fired up enough shots you would think one would have to go in.

Like the other team is gonna take the forfeit anyways, that would look even worse than loosing by a 100.

However i do feel it is a nice move by the coach and players of the winning team.
That seems logical. Maybe they are the Penguins of girls basketball and they just pass the ball around forever looking for that PERFECT shot.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:15 AM   #7
lambertlunaticfan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10642

good point here,why do you even have a team,how is that fun,.....i know its about the game and not winning-blah,blah,blah.....but come on,you cant even score one point in the game.....and i cant believe they fired the coach on the winning team for it,what was he or she suppose to do,just have thier team dribble the ball around for a whole half of the game......like the globetrotters or something.........the girls on the winning team joined to play the game and they should be able to,its not thier fault the other team couldnt stop them or score........i mean ,let's be reasonable here,the girls on the winning team couldve just passed the ball around if they really didnt want to score,i think its pathetic to put it all on the coach like this..........i mean shoud every team that beats prairie view in football fire thier coach because they went like 80 games without a college football win.....its about playing the game and im sorry but you sign up to play ,you take your chances to get blown out like this........in high school we lost our homecoming football game 72-0 and they didnt fire the coach on that other team,if anything they shouldve fired our coach and they should fire the coach on the losing bball team or heres a idea stop having a team.....
lambertlunaticfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:20 AM   #8
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

My understanding is that the Winning Team kept their starters in for most of the game, engaged in a Full Court Press the entire game where they could easily steal the ball before mid court and then, to push it further, continued to shoot 3 pointers late into the 4th quarter as Parents and an Assistant coach of the Winning team chanted, "Get One Hundred"

Not very sportsman like.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:08 AM   #9
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

How do you not get at least 1 basket during a game??? Im not mad about the other team scoring 100 but more confused on how the team got shutout in a basketball game.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:14 AM   #10
SteelCityKing
Head Coach

Member Number: 10886

i was watching them talk about this on Mike and Mike in the morning. personally, i think they should envoke a mercy rule for games like that. they do it in baseball games. but then again, baseball games aren't timed and they can go on forever.

i don't think they should've forfeited but on the flip side, how do you not get ONE point? how hard was it to have one player slip through the defense and get a bloody layup?! i mean, if the team sucked THAT bad, then they should've quit when they had the chance.

i guess the coach got fired because he would not apologize for his teams "unsportsmanlike conduct" for cheering their team on while they were up so many points, full court pressing, and draining 3 pointers. i mean, isn't that was a team is SUPPOSED to do? WIN!?