Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 01-22-2009, 09:53 PM   #1
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah
Default Mel Kiper's first round

1 Detroit - Matthew Stafford QB Georgia
2 St. Louis - Andre Smith OT Alabama
3 Kansas City - Mark Sanchez QB USC
4 Seattle - Michael Crabtree WR Texas Tech
5 Cleveland - Aaron Curry LB Wake Forest
6 Cincinnati - Jason Smith OT Baylor
7 Oakland - Jeremy Maclin WR Missouri
8 Jacksonville - Eugene Monroe OT Virginia
9 Green Bay - Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio St.
10 San Francisco - Aaron Maybin DE/OLB Penn St.
11 Buffalo - Brandon Pettigrew TE Oklahoma St.
12 Denver - B.J. Raji DT Boston College
13 Washington - Brian Orakpo DE Texas
14 New Orleans - Vontae Davis CB Illinois
15 Houston - Everette Brown DE Florida St.
16 San Diego - Knowshon Moreno RB Georgia
17 New York Jets - Percy Harvin WR Florida
18 Chicago - Tyson Jackson DE LSU
19 Tampa Bay - Josh Freeman QB Kansas St.
20 Detroit (from Dallas) - Rey Maualuga LB USC
21 Philadelphia - Chris "Beanie" Wells RB Ohio St.
22 Minnesota - Hakeem Nicks WR North Carolina
23 New England - Brian Cushing LB USC
24 Atlanta - Larry English DE/OLB No. Illinois
25 Miami - Darrius Heyward-Bey WR Mryland
26 Baltimore - D.J. Moore CB Vanderbilt
27 Indianapolis - Peria Jerry DT Mississippi
28 Philadelphia (from Carolina) - Michael Oher OT Mississippi
29 New York Giants - James Laurinaitis LB Ohio St.
30 Tennessee - Michael Johnson DE Georgia Tech
31 Arizona - LeSean McCoy RB Pittsburgh
32 Pittsburgh - Alex Mack C California
MDSteel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:16 PM   #2
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,776 Times in 1,613 Posts
Default Re: Mel Kiper's first round

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDSteel15 View Post
1 Detroit - Matthew Stafford QB Georgia
2 St. Louis - Andre Smith OT Alabama
3 Kansas City - Mark Sanchez QB USC
4 Seattle - Michael Crabtree WR Texas Tech
5 Cleveland - Aaron Curry LB Wake Forest
6 Cincinnati - Jason Smith OT Baylor
7 Oakland - Jeremy Maclin WR Missouri
8 Jacksonville - Eugene Monroe OT Virginia
9 Green Bay - Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio St.
10 San Francisco - Aaron Maybin DE/OLB Penn St.
11 Buffalo - Brandon Pettigrew TE Oklahoma St.
12 Denver - B.J. Raji DT Boston College
13 Washington - Brian Orakpo DE Texas
14 New Orleans - Vontae Davis CB Illinois
15 Houston - Everette Brown DE Florida St.
16 San Diego - Knowshon Moreno RB Georgia
17 New York Jets - Percy Harvin WR Florida
18 Chicago - Tyson Jackson DE LSU
19 Tampa Bay - Josh Freeman QB Kansas St.
20 Detroit (from Dallas) - Rey Maualuga LB USC
21 Philadelphia - Chris "Beanie" Wells RB Ohio St.
22 Minnesota - Hakeem Nicks WR North Carolina
23 New England - Brian Cushing LB USC
24 Atlanta - Larry English DE/OLB No. Illinois
25 Miami - Darrius Heyward-Bey WR Mryland
26 Baltimore - D.J. Moore CB Vanderbilt
27 Indianapolis - Peria Jerry DT Mississippi
28 Philadelphia (from Carolina) - Michael Oher OT Mississippi
29 New York Giants - James Laurinaitis LB Ohio St.
30 Tennessee - Michael Johnson DE Georgia Tech
31 Arizona - LeSean McCoy RB Pittsburgh
32 Pittsburgh - Alex Mack C California
kiper needs to put the crack pipe down.......

3 Kansas City - Mark Sanchez QB USC...i just don't see anyone paying the top 5 ransom for a 1 year wonder. its possable but if the chiefs are switching to the 3-4, they better load up on players to run it.
9 Green Bay - Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio St.....they're switching to a 3-4 this year, and don't have the front 7 to run it...
15 Houston - Everette Brown DE Florida St.....way to small to be a 4-3 DE
18 Chicago - Tyson Jackson DE LSU.... not exacly the best choice for the D they run,why would they pass on good pass rushers like jerry or johnson, for jackson?
28 Philadelphia (from Carolina) - Michael Oher OT Mississippi...if someone would trade back into the first for the likes of sam baker, no way would oher fall to 28 !!!

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 03:31 AM   #3
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
kiper needs to put the crack pipe down.......

3 Kansas City - Mark Sanchez QB USC...i just don't see anyone paying the top 5 ransom for a 1 year wonder. its possable but if the chiefs are switching to the 3-4, they better load up on players to run it.
9 Green Bay - Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio St.....they're switching to a 3-4 this year, and don't have the front 7 to run it...
15 Houston - Everette Brown DE Florida St.....way to small to be a 4-3 DE
18 Chicago - Tyson Jackson DE LSU.... not exacly the best choice for the D they run,why would they pass on good pass rushers like jerry or johnson, for jackson?
28 Philadelphia (from Carolina) - Michael Oher OT Mississippi...if someone would trade back into the first for the likes of sam baker, no way would oher fall to 28 !!!
Can you see Detroit taking a LB at 20 and leaving Oher on the table? They really need someone to protect the young QB they just drafted.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:08 AM   #4
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,412 Times in 1,440 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I really like our pick I would love to see Mack in black and gold.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:02 AM   #5
atlsteelers
Starter

Member Number: 216

i am not sure center is our greatest need. i was thinking either a tackle or guard.

i am with you guys no way does Oher fall that far.
atlsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:25 AM   #6
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
Can you see Detroit taking a LB at 20 and leaving Oher on the table? They really need someone to protect the young QB they just drafted.
tex....i don't see oher dropping out of the top 10......good tackles don't grow on trees.....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-23-2009, 09:27 AM   #7
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlsteelers View Post
i am not sure center is our greatest need. i was thinking either a tackle or guard.

i am with you guys no way does Oher fall that far.
mack is not only the best center in this class, but he'd probably be the best guard....hartwig, can also move to guard..

Old 01-23-2009, 09:57 AM   #8
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
mack is not only the best center in this class, but he'd probably be the best guard....hartwig, can also move to guard..
So True! Here is a question.....if Mack and Duke Robinson are on the board for the Steelers.........who do you pick?? Mack for the versatility, or Robinson because he is just a pure mauler inside at guard?
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:13 AM   #9
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
So True! Here is a question.....if Mack and Duke Robinson are on the board for the Steelers.........who do you pick?? Mack for the versatility, or Robinson because he is just a pure mauler inside at guard?
after reading all the senior bowl reports . i'd have to go with mack. he gives you options, that your not gonna get with robinson. you can put him at center and try hartwig at guard, or leave hartwig, and put him in at either guard position. it also gives you flexability for not only the rest of this draft, but future drafts. you take mack, then you have the option of taking either another center or guard.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:32 AM   #10
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

If they Lions are smart, they won't take Stafford with the first pick. Believe it or not quarterback is not even close to their biggest need and Stafford wouldn't be the best player available either. That being said they are the Lions, so I can see that happening.

Kansas City won't take Sanchez. They like Thigpen a whole lot and, to be honest, he played well enough to start next year and has an okay record with that team.

The thing to remember about those statements is that quarterbacks generally drop a lot once the real draft rolls around. For some reason, guys like Kiper seem to enjoy pumping the best QBs of the class up to the top five picks even if they are more mid to lower first round guys.

I don't see Buffalo going with a TE. Not that high at least. Robert Royal is an old but good player.

The Eagles won't take a runningback and really, they shouldn't. What they need to do is give Correll Buckhalter more carries and use Westbrook in spots. They should go... RECEIVER.

Has Hakeem Nicks really risen that much? I don't think the Vikings really need help at receiver... If a Harvin was there maybe. But there are still better players on the board and they have bigger needs.

Tampa Bay wtf? Is someone really going to take Josh Freeman THAT high? I know there has been some hot talk about him but wow. To me, that's reaching really far.

Detroit has some quality linebackers. With Schwartz there as the new HC I can see them going defense but I don't think they'll take a backer with Dizon and Sims being young guys who can play now.

I agree that Oher won't drop that far and also, I would rather us take more of a pure guard or tackle like Robinson than Mack - but that's just me. I know a lot of you guys like him.

Anyway there is my take. Not Kiper's best effort in my opinion.