Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-22-2009, 11:01 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default I loathe the Arizona Cardinals

Not card-carrying Cardinals fan

By Dan Shaughnessy
Globe Columnist / January 18, 2009
http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal...cardinals_fan/

PHOENIX - I loathe the Arizona Cardinals.

OK, they are a feel-good story for the rest of America. They have 37-year-old quarterback Kurt Warner, who was bagging groceries before he won a Super Bowl with the Rams. They have local favorite Sean Morey (Marshfield, Brown) and humble all-world wideout Larry Fitzgerald, who is the son of a sportswriter (gotta love that). They wear great colors and went decades without a sniff of the playoffs. They play in the champion-starved desert, and haven't won an NFL title since they were the Chicago Cardinals in 1947. This is only their second winning season since 1984.

Still, I can't forgive them for what I saw in snowy Foxborough last month.

The Cardinals quit at Gillette Stadium Dec. 21 against the Patriots. They laid down like dogs. They didn't want to be there, had nothing to gain by winning, so they tanked. It was worse than Sonny Liston in Lewiston, Maine. Worse than Manny Ramírez in his final days with the Red Sox. And now, it's being rewarded.

Let me refresh your memory:

The Cardinals, who this afternoon host the NFC Championship game against the Philadelphia Eagles, lost to the Patriots, 47-7, four weeks ago today. The score doesn't come close to explaining how bad it was. If you were among those who ponied up a couple hundred for the privilege, you know.

It was 30 degrees and snowing at kickoff. With a division title assured, and no seeding at stake, the Cardinals decided to roll over. It would have been more honorable if they just stayed in the locker room and forfeited, but that isn't allowed by the NFL. So they lined up like 11 tomato cans and took their beating.

It was 21-0 with 11:29 left in the second quarter when the Cardinals finally got a first down. It was 31-0 at halftime. By the end of the third quarter, it was 44-0 and the Patriots had 470 net yards to Arizona's 45. New England scored on nine of its first 10 possessions. Try to remember, please, these are the same Cardinals who today will play for the right to go to the Super Bowl.

Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt, who seems like a fine fellow, treated the game against the Patriots like an exhibition. He lifted Warner (6 for 18, 30 yards) after two-plus quarters. He rested star wideout Anquan Boldin (shoulder) and running back/kickoff returner J.J. Arrington (knee). He also ran the ball on eight of the first nine plays, even though the pass-crazy Cardinals came into the game with the worst ground attack in the NFL. We can certainly understand keeping the ball on the ground in bad weather, but Whisenhunt said, "We would have [run the ball] regardless of the weather. We wanted to work on our run game."

It was a disgrace. The Cardinals should have been punished by Roger Goodell. The commish is always talking about the integrity of the sport. This game was not on the level. The Cardinals tanked and now are one win from the Super Bowl.

Not OK.

The Cardinals are frauds and their fans are frauds.

Super Bowl-bound? Please. This team is here only because it plays in the most ridiculous division in football (your Patriots went 4-0 against the hideous NFC West). Arizona went 9-7 in 2008, thanks to a 6-0 record in its division. The Cardinals lost three of their last five by an aggregate 130-41. That includes their Thanksgiving turkey (48-20) against these same Eagles. Arizona won exactly one regular-season game against a playoff team, beating Miami in September. The Dolphins were the sorriest NFL playoff entry - unless you count the Cardinals.

Two weeks ago, the Cardinals almost had a television blackout of their playoff opener against the Atlanta Falcons. It was the Cardinals' first postseason game in Arizona and they had to paper the house to get the sellout needed for free local TV. The Cardinals' defense stepped up against rookie quarterback Matt Ryan, and they advanced with a 30-24 win. Last week, Carolina's Jake Delhomme delivered Arizona to the NFC Championship game by fumbling once and throwing five interceptions.

Arizona has allowed only 135 rushing yards and 10 rushing first downs in two playoff games. And now the Cardinals are a heartbeat from the Super Bowl. They sold out today's game in six minutes.

University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale is where Patriot dreams came to die last February. It's hard on the eyes for Patriots fans. But it's not downright offensive, like the sight of Arizona's December quitters playing in the NFC Championship game.

Dan Shaughnessy is a Globe columnist. He can be reached at dshaughnessy@globe.com.

(I never thought I'd agree with someone from Boston. - mesa)
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:25 PM   #2
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172
Default Re: I loathe the Arizona Cardinals

WOW ! I wonder if he would tell us what he really feels about it

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:31 PM   #3
IAWarnerFan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12150

His comments are TOTAL GARBAGE! Way to generalze!
IAWarnerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:36 PM   #4
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,247 Times in 1,806 Posts

while i agree with a lot of what he said.....arizona still won the playoff games to get to the superbowl....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:42 PM   #5
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAWarnerFan View Post
His comments are TOTAL GARBAGE! Way to generalze!
Truth hurts. Deal with it and stop your whining.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:44 PM   #6
IAWarnerFan
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Truth hurts. Deal with it and stop your whining.
Says the person that loves to generalize about opponents fans!
Old 01-22-2009, 11:56 PM   #7
TheSteelCurtain
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 10715

Getting 60,000 people to come to a football game after they extened the sell out period is not fans. Its Hipsters. How many games did ya sell out last year, or the year before.

Fans are taking over opposing teams stadium 3,000 miles away. Fans are selling out every game in the past 35 years. Fans are being on a waiting list for tickets for 5 years hoping you might get a preseason game, Fans are pounding Ahrn Cities and Eating Sandwiches with French Fries and Cole Slaw on it.

Buying a Fitzgerald jersey just cause your team made the playoffs this millenium is not a Fan. Its a Hipster.
TheSteelCurtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:59 PM   #8
IAWarnerFan
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSteelCurtain View Post
Getting 60,000 people to come to a football game after they extened the sell out period is not fans. Its Hipsters. How many games did ya sell out last year, or the year before.

Fans are taking over opposing teams stadium 3,000 miles away. Fans are selling out every game in the past 35 years. Fans are being on a waiting list for tickets for 5 years hoping you might get a preseason game, Fans are pounding Ahrn Cities and Eating Sandwiches with French Fries and Cole Slaw on it.

Buying a Fitzgerald jersey just cause your team made the playoffs this millenium is not a Fan. Its a Hipster.
Well if I find any AZ jerseys here in Iowa I'll be the first to let you know!
Old 01-23-2009, 12:00 AM   #9
82CardsGrad
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12135

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSteelCurtain View Post

Hey, you post on this board so you must be a "knowledgeable" football fan... Therefore, you must know that since the new stadium opened 2 years ago, every pre-season, regular and now post-season game has been sold out... right?
82CardsGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:02 AM   #10
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAWarnerFan View Post
Says the person that loves to generalize about opponents fans!
Generalize! I've been in Arizona longer than the wretched Arizona Turdnails. Hell I even voted against public funding for their ugly birdcage in Glendale. The bandwagon Turdnial fans like you are total frauds.

Two weeks ago the stinking Turdnails couldn't even find enough "fans" to sell out a playoff game with out TWO extensions from the NFL. And you have the gall to call yourself fans who can't even go to air conditioned, indoor, stadium.

On Monday I went out shoping. At the mall in Tempe I saw only three Turdnial jerseys. I saw six Steelers jerseys including myself. One was worn by a fine gentleman from Texas who not only wearing a Harrison jersey but his kids were all wearing Steelers gear as well.

Then I went over to Chandler Fashion square and I saw four Steelers to one Turdnail jersey.

A totally pathetic showing by so called "fans" of the Turdnails.

By the way I didn't write the article I just agreed with it. I have no respect for a team that mails in a game because it's cold outside.