Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-22-2009, 10:36 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,583 Times in 3,991 Posts
Default PIT vs AZ- When we last met

pit- 3-0 with the leagues #1 defense and an offense that had scored 90+ points in 3 games.

az- 1-2 and using a strange warner/leinart combo at home. cardinals win 21-14 in a game the players admittedly wanted to win for their new coach.

heres the gamecenter and stats- http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_i...2007&week=REG4

Quote:
It was over when...
Arizona CB Ralph Brown intercepted Ben Roethlisberger's deep pass up the middle with nine seconds remaining in the game, putting Arizona on the winning end of their fourth consecutive game decided in the final minute of play.

Game ball
Arizona coach Ken Whisenhunt shook hands with nearly every member of his former team before the game, and then he put a game plan in motion that nearly shut down the offense he used to run. After scoring the game's first touchdown, the Steelers, who had only trailed for 18 seconds this season, were shut out until after the two-minute warning at the end of the game.

Key stat
In the Cardinals' quarterback by committee, Kurt Warner completed 14-of-21 passes for 132 yards and one touchdown, and Matt Leinart was 7-of-14 for 93 yards and was under center on the Cardinals' final drive that led to Edgerrin James' winning touchdown run.

Noteworthy
Pittsburgh safety Troy Polamalu left the game in the third quarter with an abdominal injury and stayed on the sideline for the rest of the game. Steelers NT Chris Hoke was also helped off the field in the fourth quarter after delivering a punishing hit. ... The Steelers were forced to punt seven times in the game, but rookie Daniel Sepulveda's kicks averaged 51.4 yards.
things of note-

holmes pretty much matched fitzgerald. both had 120+ yds (holmes 2 td/ fitz 0)

willie was stuffed for 1 of his worst games of the year. 19/37
hines and boldin both missed the game.
troy and hampton both left with injuries, which opened up az passing game in 3rd.
tide turned when breaston returned a punt for a td.
punt was a re-kick after a penalty negated a punt to the 11 yd line
ben threw an int 3rd and goal at the 2.
steelers- 11 penalties for 72 yds. az-5-30
sepulveda punted 7 times but averaged 50+ yds/kick (miss that guy).

this game reminds me much of the close win vs the chargers, or loss to the giants. if we screw up royally 5-20 times a game we may lose by 7 points. kinda been our story for the past 2 years. (jacksonville).

however we have room for a bit of error and our last 3 games have been executed really well.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:42 PM   #2
IAWarnerFan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12150
Default Re: PIT vs AZ- When we last met

:How can Pit be 3-0 and AZ be 1-2? Or do you mean Pit has won 5 of the last 6 meetings?
IAWarnerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:48 PM   #3
steelers2685
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8032

Those were the days when one of our punts was over 30 yards
Old 01-22-2009, 10:52 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,583 Times in 3,991 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAWarnerFan View Post
:How can Pit be 3-0 and AZ be 1-2? Or do you mean Pit has won 5 of the last 6 meetings?
i guess i coulda phrased it better.

when they last met (last season- wk 4) pits record was 3-0 (allowing a grand total of 26 points in 3 games) and the cardinals were 1-2.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:57 PM   #5
IAWarnerFan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12150

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i guess i coulda phrased it better.

when they last met (last season- wk 4) pits record was 3-0 (allowing a grand total of 26 points in 3 games) and the cardinals were 1-2.
OK, thanks! Tho the 5 for 6 record would have made sense as well.
IAWarnerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:33 AM   #6
Nighthawk
Starter

Member Number: 11264

I know its something cool to look at, but very little of last year matters this year :D As the cards proved what happened in game #1 against eagles this year wasn't the case come round 2.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:36 AM   #7
steelfanman
Water Boy

Location: The biggest bandwagon in the world....Phoenix Arizona.
Member Number: 11409

I was there....I remember it not so fondly.

Troy was having a monster game, recovered a fumble and got injured on the return. After that we seemed to go flat.

The two killer plays were Steve Breaston's punt return for a TD...he was a rookie and I think it was like 75 yards.

The other was Ben's INT in the endzone....the endzone I was sitting above.

I know the OP already mentioned all those stats, but I remember all those from memory and those plays crushed us. It really should have been closer, but ended up being a precursor of last season's eventual disappointments...crappy special teams and a defense that faded late in games.

I guess it's true that Whis' gameplan shut down the offense, especially the run..but with Hines out, we still had chances and blew them. But wasn't that kinda the theme of the 2007 season anyway?

The Steelers never seem to play well when the come to Arizona, and I've been to all of those games except SB XXX. Even the one time they won, sacked Jake Plummer 10 times, it still took OT to win it (thanks Bus!).

Maybe that's why I'm already having an aneurysm anticipating this game...I want this SOOOOOO BAD!
steelfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:02 AM   #8
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

Ugh that game brings back very bad memories. That was one of our uglier games the past couple seasons. And anytime Troy is out that really hurts our defense. Boy it sure will be nice to get Sepulveda back next season.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:23 AM   #9
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Last year, we lost to teams we should have beaten, Denver, Cardinals, Jets.

We didn't have any of those games this year and our 4 losses this season came to pretty darn good teams. Giants, Eagles, Colts, Titans.

Pretty sure those were 4 playoff teams. And 3 of those games we were in til the end. The Titans...that was our Let Down failure game, being up 14-10 and allowing 21 unanswered points in the 2nd half.