Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-22-2009, 11:08 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers' Ward eager for action

Steelers' Ward eager for action
By ALAN ROBINSON
Associated Press
http://www.tribune-democrat.com/spor...022002055.html

PITTSBURGH — Hines Ward is so certain his sprained knee won’t keep him out of the Super Bowl, he believes he could play this week if necessary.

The Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver didn’t miss a game to injury all season, and he said Wednesday he’s not about to miss a Super Bowl.

Especially one against his former practice field acquaintance, Larry Fitzgerald.

Ward became friends with the Arizona Cardinals’ All-Pro receiver when Fitzgerald played at Pitt, and the two have stayed in touch. When both teams won their conference championship games Sunday, they exchanged text messages.

“He texted me the other day and it was like, ‘Let us win, you already have a ring,’ ” Ward said. “My response is, ‘I want two rings.’ ”

Ward went to several Pitt games when Fitzgerald played for the Panthers in 2002-03, and he realized immediately how good the young receiver was.

“He was always asking me stuff,” said Ward, who regularly bumped into Fitzgerald in the practice facility the Steelers share with Pitt. “He asks me questions to this day. He’ll text me and ask me about certain defensive backs and what not. He’s a great student of the game and he’s got tons of talent.”

Fitzgerald has set an NFL postseason record with 419 yards receiving in three games and the Super Bowl still to play.

“He’s very excited to be on the biggest stage in the Super Bowl,” Ward said of Fitzgerald, who predicted while in college he would play in the Super Bowl. “Hopefully we can contain him and not let him go wild.”

Ward isn’t the downfield threat Fitzgerald is, but he is one of the NFL’s most consistent receivers and was the Super Bowl MVP three years ago when the Steelers beat Seattle.

Ward’s injury – a sprained medial collateral ligament – can sideline a player for an extended period, with running back Willie Parker missing four games earlier this season.

But with nearly two weeks to rest before the Feb. 1 game in Tampa, Ward is confident he will play.

“Just have to wait for the swelling to go down,” Ward said. “But (I) should be ready to go. I’ll be OK. It feels good, it feels better than it did yesterday.”

Ward was injured during the first quarter of the AFC championship game against Baltimore on Sunday and did not play most of the final three quarters.

“I said, ‘Where’s Hines? He must really be hurt, because of how tough he is,’ ” cornerback Deshea Townsend said. “Two weeks? That’s too many days for him to miss a game.”

Left tackle Max Starks said he played with a tear in his meniscus, not just a sprain, during the Steelers’ last Super Bowl.

“A sprained knee is a relative term, especially with the braces they have now, the technology,” Starks said. “He might not be able to move as fast but, knowing Hines, I can’t see him not playing. Maybe if somebody had a big tear, but to have a sprain and to have two weeks off, most guys can usually come back from that.”
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:31 PM   #2
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,662 Times in 1,581 Posts
Default Re: Steelers' Ward eager for action

so ward help create this fitz monster.....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:41 PM   #3
SC Steeler Steve
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 12276

I said last week and still believe he would have played last week if it had become neccessary
Old 01-23-2009, 06:43 AM   #4
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

I have no doubts that Ward will be playing on Super Bowl Sunday. The real question is how effective he can be. Doesn't matter though because he will find ways to make plays that day and help this team win.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote