Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-23-2009, 06:49 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Sweed sticking with it: Big drop didn't shake rookie receiver

Sweed sticking with it: Big drop didn't shake rookie receiver
By Jarrett Bell, USA TODAY
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...as-sweed_N.htm

PITTSBURGH On his list of most egregious gaffes on a football field, Limas Sweed insists there is a moment worse than his blunder in the AFC title game.

Sweed, the Pittsburgh Steelers rookie receiver, dropped a perfect pass that would have resulted in a 50-yard touchdown late in the first half against the Baltimore Ravens last Sunday when he suddenly took his eyes off the floating football.

Call it the Immaculate Incompletion.

SUPER BOWL MATCHUPS: Who has edge? Steelers or Cardinals?

"It's not the worst drop I've had," said Sweed, tapping his memory bank.

Playing for his first football team in seventh grade, the Brenham (Texas) Cubs, Sweed caught a pass near his 5-yard line and raced in the direction of 90-plus pay dirt.

"Before I got to the end zone, boom the ball just popped out," Sweed remembers. "The other team recovered. That was the worst."

The stakes were just a bit higher last weekend. Add more than 40 million viewers, and it's conceivable that Sweed was floored more by embarrassment after his muff than by having his wind escape him. He lay on the turf until trainers arrived.

In any event, Sweed who didn't hit the oxygen tank after returning to the bench cost the Steelers their final timeout when he was treated on the field. Then poor time-management cost the Steelers a chance for a short field goal in a tight game, as the clock expired with the ball on 12-yard line as the half ended.

Here's to rookie lessons. The instant Sweed returned to the sideline, he received an earful from his heated coach, Mike Tomlin.

"He basically said, 'Try to get up and save the team a timeout when you fall down,' " Sweed said. "I guess I knew that was coming."

Sweed, a second-round pick from Texas who played extensively Sunday after go-to veteran Hines Ward was sidelined by a sprained knee, bounced back from his mistake with two attention-grabbing plays in the second half. He floored Corey Ivy with a punishing block at the end of a 30-yard catch by Heath Miller. Then he moved the chains with a 14-yard catch on a third-and-8 to dig out of a field-position hole.

"Obviously, I would've liked to have caught that pass," Sweed, still seeking his first NFL touchdown, said of the drop. "I'm coming in for Hines. AFC Championship Game. Rookie. Jacked-up. Things happen. People drop balls. It's not always what happened, but how you respond. If I had my head in the tank and stayed down on myself, maybe I don't get that block or make that catch. It's just growing pains."

Asked if he was impressed that Sweed responded well after the drop, Tomlin said, "I wish he would just catch the ball so that he doesn't have to respond Hats off to the guys for sticking with him and allowing him to be a part of this."

Although Ward has pledged to be ready for Super Bowl XLIII, Sweed realizes that circumstances could put him on the spot again against the Arizona Cardinals on the biggest stage in football. It is a long way from Brenham.

"You can look at it two ways," said Sweed, who played sparingly and caught just six passes during the regular season. "I'm out there running by dudes, getting open. I've just got to finish the plays. I'm glad I'm on a team like the Steelers, a great team, that can roll with my growing pains. Because I'll definitely be worth it My time is coming."
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:59 AM   #2
SCSTILLER
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4202
Default Re: Sweed sticking with it: Big drop didn't shake rookie receiver

OK, I really don't know how to feel about this article. One reason I feel good about it is that he seems to be able to shake off mistakes, which you need to do as a player/rookie. The reason I don't feel good about it is his "ahh, whatever" attitude. Maybe that is not the way it is intended, but that is what I got out of it. If it is "ahh, whatever" I am not happy with that, you had a chance to nail the coffin shut on the Ravens and you dropped the ball. If one comes your way in the SB, you better have Gorilla glue on your hands and catch the flipping ball.

OK, I am off the soap box now. Hope he wasn't the second of my opinions!
Old 01-23-2009, 07:28 AM   #3
Steelcitygal87
Banned

Member Number: 10583

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSTILLER View Post
OK, I really don't know how to feel about this article. One reason I feel good about it is that he seems to be able to shake off mistakes, which you need to do as a player/rookie. The reason I don't feel good about it is his "ahh, whatever" attitude. Maybe that is not the way it is intended, but that is what I got out of it. If it is "ahh, whatever" I am not happy with that, you had a chance to nail the coffin shut on the Ravens and you dropped the ball. If one comes your way in the SB, you better have Gorilla glue on your hands and catch the flipping ball.

OK, I am off the soap box now. Hope he wasn't the second of my opinions!

You have to remember though, he is still just a kid..a rookie. He is probably going to come across in ways that maybe he didn't intend to( it is often times difficult for players to handle the press). He does appear to have confidence in his abilities..that he can get the job done( which of course is a very good thing and something a player must possess). While I can't be sure about it, I don't think he meant to come across as having a ..'oh well stuff happens' kind of attitude. I think it is more a case of... he just doesn't want that drop to define what type of player he is and he wants the fans of Pittsburgh to not lose faith in him... that next time he is called upon he will get the job done. That is my take on the article. Just be patient with him, and have faith...time will tell.

GO Steelers!!
Steelcitygal87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:28 AM   #4
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Rookie WRs never have "fantastic" years for the Steelers.

Hey, at least he didn't spike the ball after getting a catch and failing to the ground without being touched. Plaxico style.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:33 AM   #5
Steelcitygal87
Banned

Member Number: 10583

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings View Post

Hey, at least he didn't spike the ball after getting a catch and failing to the ground without being touched. Plaxico style.

Yeah, I remember that Plaxico fiasco
Steelcitygal87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:39 AM   #6
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings View Post

That is true Ill personally take the drops instead of the stupid blunders. Didnt Troy Edwards lead the Steelers in recieving his rookie year?? I know there was Hines Courtney Hawkins and Bobby Shaw that season. But for some reason Im thinking Edwards lead the team.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:51 AM   #7
CPanther95
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 11672

DeShaun Jackson spiked the ball on the 1 yard line.

I think Sweed is just echoing the attitude that others were throwing at him from the team about shaking it off. I don't think it's a cavalier "not a big deal" attitude. It was a big screw up, and he knows his entire future is riding on his ability to improve.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:54 AM   #8
CanadianSteel
Team Captain

Member Number: 6555

well one good thing is it appears he is able to get open at least..... if he can hold the rock maybe we have soemthing here and may need a play or 2 from him in the superbowl..
CanadianSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:02 AM   #9
crzystlrfn39
Water Boy

Member Number: 12320

He definitely reminds me a lot of Plax. Hopefully he turns out to be a receiver like him without all the baggage and attitude. It was definitely good to see hime come back and lay out Ivy though ala Hines Ward tactic. Beautiful!
crzystlrfn39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:15 AM   #10
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678

Being a little to hard on the kid. Holmes still drops passes, lol. Why do you think in a pressure situation we do not put him back on punts?

Good things will come of this.
1) BigBen went back to Sweed on a key pass late. Shows confidence, or the other 5 guys were covered?lol
2) The muff is better in a win, than a loss in the SB. If a loss the mental crap could kill the kid.
3) Will concentrate more, as he definately learned on several fronts.

He came back and redeemed himself, on the hit and the key catch.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote