Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-23-2009, 02:27 PM   #1
varmintjcl
Water Boy

Member Number: 1528
Default Fox Sports most hated team poll

nice article too.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9...e-the-Steelers

I apologize if this has already been posted, but i couldn't find it here.

varmintjcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:38 PM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: Fox Sports most hated team poll

From the "comments" section:

Quote:
If you clowns haven't figured it out...winning breeds contempt.
Live in Boston and you'll understand. Just think of what will happen if the Bruins win the Cup (good chance) AND teh Celts repeat (more than a good chance)
We deal with it every day and have to hear the constant whining, "you cheated", you bought a championship."
Getr used to it but in the meantime...enjoy the success...The Steelers might very well be the classiest franchise in all sports over an extended period but that does not necessarily transfer to there fans
Another Patriotard heard from. No asshat, you clowns are loathed because, 1) You DID cheat and got nothing more from Kommissar Goodell than a slap on the wrist for it, and 2) You seem to think the damn NFL was invented in 2001 and think you are the only city with a football team that has ever won anything. To top it off, you think you're the best thing since sliced bread due to this unfounded arrogance. We were winning SBs a couple of decades before you clowns ever knew you had a football team.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:39 PM   #3
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

It's pretty hard to hate the Steelers
by Kevin Hench

Kevin Hench is a frequent contributor to FOXSports.com. An accomplished film and television writer, Hench's latest screenwriting credit is for The Hammer, which stars Adam Carolla and is now available on DVD.

As America winds down National Kumbaya Week it is perhaps fitting that we now turn our attention to the Pittsburgh Steelers, the only national institution with a higher approval rating than the new president.

I'm sure there are fans in Cleveland and Baltimore who can muster genuine hatred for the Steelers, but for most football fans there's just not much to dislike.

It's easy to loathe the Cowboys, where the egomaniacal Jerry Jones plays Father Flanagan then learns the hard way that maybe there is such a thing as a bad boy.

It's easy to hate the Patriots, where a ruthless, amoral (genius) dictator patrols the sidelines, at least until he storms off petulantly without shaking hands.

It's easy to develop contempt for the Colts after a few thousand Peyton Manning commercials (or if Marvin Harrison's gun starts mysteriously discharging in your direction).

But the Steelers?

Dan Rooney, Mike Tomlin and Ben Roethlisberger don't exactly get your blood boiling.

How can you hate a team whose original owner won the money to buy his franchise at the track?

How can you hate a team when that same owner once sent a postcard to a badly-wounded-in-Vietnam Rocky Bleier in a Tokyo hospital that simply read: "Rock the team's not doing well. We need you. Art Rooney."

How can you hate a team named after the hardworking men of its community instead of, say, a racially insensitive Native American epithet?

To the far-reaching Steeler Nation it probably came as no surprise that the Black and Gold was ranked No.1 out of all 122 major sports franchises in the inaugural Turnkey Team Brand Index survey in 2007. The survey measures fan loyalty in a team's local market. (The Arizona Cardinals finished 122nd or last in the '07 survey.)

Despite slipping to third in 2008 behind the Packers and Red Sox the Steelers will almost certainly regain the top spot if they win their record-setting sixth Super Bowl title.

That fan loyalty is not just on display in Pittsburgh, where the Steelers have sold out every game since 1972.
No NFL team's fans travel like Steeler fans. (Travel Well, Travel Well!!!! We are all ready there! - mesa)

There isn't an NFL outpost too remote to keep them from arriving in droves and providing cutaways to big swaths of Terrible Towel-waving, black-and-gold clad supporters.

When the Titans were still transitioning from Houston to Nashville via Memphis, they suffered the humiliation of playing a "home" game in front of mostly Steeler fans. The plan had been for the Titans to play two seasons in Memphis, but that game prompted Bud Adams to flee Memphis and move to Nashville a year ahead of schedule and play a season in Vanderbilt's stadium.

And Steeler fans don't limit their boundless pride to NFL stadiums. Ever since legendary broadcaster Myron Cope created the so-called Terrible Towel in 1975 the signature terry cloth has popped up all over the world.

It has been planted atop Mt. Everest, spotted at the South Pole, Vatican City and the Beijing Olympics and been brought by G.I.s to the battlefields of Iraq and Afghanistan.

Saturday Night Live's Seth Meyers swung a Terrible Towel at the end of the show in honor of Cope after the broadcaster died in February last year. (And how can you hate a team whose longtime broadcaster gave the rights to the Terrible Towel to the Allegheny Valley School in Coraopolis, Pa. to help it care for more than 900 people with mental and physical disabilities, including his autistic son? The school has received proceeds in excess of $2.5M.)

The bond between the Steelers and the citizenry of Blitzburgh is so strong that it naturally invites an intensity of political pandering unseen in other parts of the country.

Both Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton received and waved Terrible Towels before the Pennsylvania Democratic primary on April 22. (Clinton won the primary but Obama won the war with Dan Rooney's endorsement helping him win Pennsylvania by 11 points in the general election.)

John McCain outdid them both, tweaking a familiar story to enhance its appeal for a Western Pa. electorate.

He told a Pittsburgh TV station:

"When I was first interrogated and really had to give some information because of the physical pressures that were on me, I named the starting lineup defensive line of the Pittsburgh Steelers as my squadron-mates."

The story might have held up if he hadn't already told it and written it as naming the members of the great Packer teams of the 1960s, a story that made infinitely more sense since he was shot down in 1967. The Steelers were one of the worst teams in the NFL in the late '60s and the defensive line was not Mean Joe Greene, L.C. Greenwood, Ernie Holmes and Dwight White but rather Ken Kortas, Lloyd Voss, Chuck Hinton and Ben McGee. It seems unlikely that anyone in pre-Google Pittsburgh could rattle off those names.

But you can hardly blame McCain (who can now safely root for his home state Cardinals without fear of political reprisal). Everyone it seems wants to be a part of the extended Steeler family.

When he was writing "In America," his patriotic response to the Iranian hostage crisis, North Carolina-born Charlie Daniels could have chosen any team from a two-syllable town with a two-syllable nickname without messing up his meter. But he went with:

You just go and lay on a Pittsburgh Steeler fan and I think you're gonna
finally understand.

Daniels would later explain that the people of Pittsburgh are "The salt of the earth, the finest, just the greatest people. The strength of America ... They're steel workers and they're good old guys with blisters or calluses on their hands."

That's right, the man who has openly stated that he hopes President Obama fails is a rabid Steelers fan.

Now that's a big tent.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 03:22 PM   #4
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Personally, I don't care if opposing teams fans love, hate, or respect the Steelers or not. What matters to me is that I love the Steelers. The hell with what Browns, Patriots, or bitter Seachicken fans from 2005 think. They stood in our way, and they all suck.

Gotta love that one post by that one douchebag user named "Gengar".
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:31 AM   #5
IAWarnerFan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12150

Looks like I'm in agreement with this poll!
IAWarnerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:35 AM   #6
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401

Wow, the Cowboys by 47% at the first, the Cheaters by 26% at the second, & the Raiders by 15% at the third place. I could understand the Cowboys & the Cheaters, but what's with the Raiders being hated that much?
Old 01-24-2009, 06:26 AM   #7
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

That was a really nice read, varmint - thank you!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:27 AM   #8
hindes204
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 7614

i just read that and was checking to see if it was posted already, you beat me to it....good read
Old 01-24-2009, 07:05 AM   #9
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersMongol View Post
Wow, the Cowboys by 47% at the first, the Cheaters by 26% at the second, & the Raiders by 15% at the third place. I could understand the Cowboys & the Cheaters, but what's with the Raiders being hated that much?
In the 70s and 80s the Raiders were considered by many to be the dirtiest team to ever play football. They were extremely mean and would celebrate anytime an opposing player had to be carried of the field, the team would get bonuses if the player spent more that 2 days in the hospital. Lifetime bands did not happen and Al Davis would pay all of his players fines, so they could do anything they wanted up to and included carrying knives onto the field. At least thats the way I remember it.

I hate the cowboys more, but I do still hate the Raiders.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:55 PM   #10
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302

How do people hate the cowboys, they haven't been relevant in a decade and a half.
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote