Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 01-24-2009, 09:29 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Super Bowl play routinely enhances a free-agent's value

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...s_608588.html#
Super Bowl play routinely enhances a free-agent's value

By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, January 24, 2009

It certainly is a Super Bowl for those players fortunate enough to participate in the NFL's ultimate game.

For some, it's more than the chance of a lifetime: It's an opportunity to go bowling for untold dollars.

Three Steelers starters, one injured starter and one key reserve are unrestricted free agents whose market value may never be higher than right now, as Super Bowl XLIII approaches.

If the Steelers defeat the Arizona Cardinals on Feb. 1 in Tampa, Fla., cornerback Bryant McFadden, tackles Max Starks and Marvel Smith, guard Chris Kemoeatu and receiver Nate Washington hit the market as talented free agents and two-time Super Bowl champions. Tackle Willie Colon and safety Anthony Smith will be restricted free agents.

Super Bowl appearances, particularly most-recent ones and augmented by a high-caliber performance, suggest an increase in a player's value.

After the Steelers won Super Bowl XL in Detroit, starting receiver Antwaan Randle El signed a seven-year, $31 million free-agent contract with the Washington Redskins that featured $10 million in guaranteed money.

A No. 2 receiver behind Hines Ward, Randle El's market value rose substantially following his performance in Super Bowl XL, a stats line that included a 43-yard touchdown pass to Ward in the fourth quarter.

Also from that team, safety Chris Hope signed a six-year, $30 million free-agent contact with the Tennessee Titans.

Both players said they wanted to remain with the Steelers, but when it became obvious that the Steelers couldn't meet their contract demands, they left their comfort zone for better offers.

The same opportunities could be available to this year's group of candidates when the free agency period begins Feb. 27.

Starks started at right tackle against Seattle three years ago.

"The Steelers gave me my start and gave me opportunities, and they've given me another opportunity for the second time to be able to play in a Super Bowl and to play a different position than the first time," said Starks, a third-round pick in 2004 who started 13 consecutive games this season after Smith went down with a back injury. "It's going to be an interesting offseason to see how all of us fare after the Super Bowl is over."

McFadden took over at starting left cornerback when Deshea Townsend suffered a heel injury in the opener against Houston. McFadden then missed seven starts later in the season after suffering a broken forearm. He returned to the lineup and has started the final three regular-season games and two playoff games.

"This is the place that drafted me, so, No. 1, I'd love to be back here," said McFadden, a second-round pick in 2005 who finished the season with 54 tackles, two interceptions, one sack and tied for second on the team with 11 passes defended.

"I knew that nothing was going to be going on as far as free agency. I try not to think about it too much, but it is part of a situation that's going on. I just focused my whole mentality on playing good football. Everything else will work itself out."

Washington, Kemoeatu and long-snapper Greg Warren all have completed one-year deals they signed as restricted free agents. Washington was fourth on the team with 40 receptions, and his 15.8-yard average led the team. Kemoeatu, who was inactive during the team's Super Bowl XL run, started all 16 games as a first-year replacement for perennial Pro Bowler Alan Faneca. Warren was placed on injured reserve after injuring his knee in a game against the New York Giants in October.

"I'm just blessed to be in this position. A lot of people didn't feel like I should have been on this team, shouldn't have gotten the salary that I did," said Starks, who signed a one-year, $6.8 million contract prior to the start of the season. "We'll see what happens because, ultimately, the outcome in the Super Bowl determines (the future)."

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:52 AM   #2
PalmerSteel
Team Captain

Member Number: 3520
Default Re: Super Bowl play routinely enhances a free-agent's value

i see all those guys getting pretty high offers from other teams. the 2 we need to focus on and pay more than the owner would like that are critical to keep are kemo and mcfadden for sure imo. we can live without the others.
PalmerSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:23 AM   #3
Football Freek
Water Boy

Member Number: 3258

I agree. Kemo will be a beast for years to come and is a future PBer. He's been inconsistant this year but that can be attributed to lack of playing experience, coaching, play calling, and OL continuity. The more reps he gets, the more dominant he'll be. He has more upside than anyone else on the OL.
Football Freek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:47 AM   #4
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Starks McFadden and Kemo will be the top guys and Nate will be allowed to test the market and get probably a 1 yr deal kinda like Bryant Johnson got last year. Starks and Kemo are priority because that will be our entire left side of our line.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:01 PM   #5
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,172 Times in 1,477 Posts

I hope Starks and Kemo have great super bowl games, so Ben can stay upright, we win the game....................and some other team pays too much and takes them off our hands.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:02 PM   #6
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeiselPower99 View Post
Starks McFadden and Kemo will be the top guys and Nate will be allowed to test the market and get probably a 1 yr deal kinda like Bryant Johnson got last year. Starks and Kemo are priority because that will be our entire left side of our line.
I agree. And due to extremely poor planning, just as this year, we may again be forced to pay a premium for a mediocre line.

Also, it was mentioned how Randle El and Hope were possibly overvalued and had huge paydays after the Superbowl. I liken this to players in the draft who shoot up the draft board because they run a great 40 or bench press the empire state building, yet the game tape for the entire season, which should be the larger part of their valuation (imo), gets relatively little regard.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:16 PM   #7
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,172 Times in 1,477 Posts

I think Kemo will be allowed to move on. He was OK, but largely inconsistent. I think if Simmons comes back fine, then the LG spot will be fought out between Stapleton, a rookie draft pick and possibly Willie Colon.

Dexter Jackson, Larry Brown, Alvin Harper, Dominic Rhodes are other names that come to mind as cashing in on Super bowl performances........only to underperform in their new team.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:32 PM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,366 Times in 4,304 Posts

gotta disagree on chris hope being overvalued.

his 1st year with the titans he had more tackles than sean taylor, ed reed, polamalu, and bob sanders. hes a pro bowler and the leader of the titans secondary which is pretty damn good. hes smart and was the qb of our defense his final season here.

IF we extend clark a year early we may be able to keep him in the $5 mil/ year range.

mcfadden deserves a fair but reasonable deal like ike talors 1st big contract. people thought ike was payed a bit too much at the time but now he is below market value.

just look at joey porter money and what ray lewis is being offered and its easy to see james harrisons market value will be the highest paid lb in the league.

we got some serious thinking to do. spend the money to keep the defense together, or spend big to protect ben.

i say rookie linemen can do just as good of a job giving up sacks as the guys we currently have.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:15 PM   #9
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I think Kemo will be allowed to move on. He was OK, but largely inconsistent. I think if Simmons comes back fine, then the LG spot will be fought out between Stapleton, a rookie draft pick and possibly Willie Colon.

Dexter Jackson, Larry Brown, Alvin Harper, Dominic Rhodes are other names that come to mind as cashing in on Super bowl performances........only to underperform in their new team.
I was with you until you mentioned Simmons. Simmons is terrible...downright terrible. If we bring back Colon and pair him up with with Simmons....our right hand side of our line will look like the Philadelphia game.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:23 PM   #10
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

We have to keep B-Mac and I believe Kemo is a diamond in the rough. I would like the Steelers to find a way to hang on to Nate, as well, as he is only going to get better with every passing season. He isn't Hines-esque nor does he have Santo's speed, but I think with a little more effort and more playing time, he can become a very viable and reliable target for Ben. As for Starks - let him go, along with Anthony Smith. Starks isn't worth the franchise tag price he is getting (sorry). I would give Marvel Smith another shot - he was injured most of this season - let's see how he bounces back.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote