Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 01-24-2009, 01:27 PM   #11
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321
Default Re: Super Bowl play routinely enhances a free-agent's value

I'm seeing these free agents like this:

Starks - Max has played just as well as Smith ever did at LT. He's young, playing well, and can take care of Ben's blind side for the next 4 years.

Kemo - Kemo's signing really depends on what the team thinks about Simmons and his recovery. If they believe that Simmons cannot do the job adequately, they will make a push to sign Kemo. Personally, I think signing two FA O'lineman to FA contracts will be a steep task. I think Kemo is a goner for higher $$$$'s.

BMAC - He's gone. Not because I wouldn't love to see him pair with Ike, but he's already priced himself out of our range and with his agent (Rosenhaus) and his exposure in the playoffs and SB, there is no way he stays here. Just get us a few INT's in the Super Bowl BMAC, and we'll wish you well.

Nate - Again, this is another guy I would absolutely love to keep and wouldn't be surprised if he stays. The bigger picture here is if the team is planning on extending Holmes in a year...that will determine Nate's future. Sweed, if he can find his hands, will be our #3 next year if Nate leaves or in 2010 if Holmes leaves. Unless Nate completely breaks out in the Super Bowl, I don't see him getting Randle-EL money in this economy...especially when he has never been a #2 yet.

Smith - Thanks for the memories Marvel. Sorry to be so harsh, but your back just doesn't warrant a new contract.

Bottom line, the Steelers O'line is really playing well together. They should do all they can do to keep this 4 of these 5 together (minus Colon). I don't know if that will be possible.

This, more than anything, is the reason why I have always believed that they should have traded their #1 and a #3 to move up and get Brandon Albert last year instead of picking Mendenhall.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:30 PM   #12
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I hope Starks and Kemo have great super bowl games, so Ben can stay upright, we win the game....................and some other team pays too much and takes them off our hands.
thats what i'm talkin bout !!!..would they get comp picks if they get an offer from the steelers?

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:50 PM   #13
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,071 Times in 3,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
thats what i'm talkin bout !!!..would they get comp picks if they get an offer from the steelers?
we get comp picks as long as they leave regardless if we make them an offer or not.

the more they play, the more cash they get, and the better they do, increases the comp pick value... AS LONG as we dont spend big money in FA to replace them.

faneca will net us a third. he made big bucks, played every down, and made it to the pro bowl. we spent $0 to replace him.

if we woulda replaced him w/ FA hartwig (for arguments sakes- starter with acheap contract) his comp pick value probably woulda dropped to a 4th. if we replaced him with a high priced free agent who totally kicked ass, and faneca flopped and rode the bench, the comp pick value drops even more.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:56 PM   #14
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
we get comp picks as long as they leave regardless if we make them an offer or not.

the more they play, the more cash they get, and the better they do, increases the comp pick value... AS LONG as we dont spend big money in FA to replace them.

faneca will net us a third. he made big bucks, played every down, and made it to the pro bowl. we spent $0 to replace him.

if we woulda replaced him w/ FA hartwig (for arguments sakes- starter with acheap contract) his comp pick value probably woulda dropped to a 4th. if we replaced him with a high priced free agent who totally kicked ass, and faneca flopped and rode the bench, the comp pick value drops even more.
Steelers To Be Shut Out on Comp Picks

Posted Mar 31st 2008 7:27 AM by JJ Cooper (author feed)
Filed Under: Steelers, AFC North, Pittsburgh
When the NFL announces its compensatory picks this week, don't expect to see the Steelers get any. Pittsburgh seems certain to remain stuck with six picks for April's draft. That was to be expected since the Steelers didn't really lose any significant free agents last year (Joey Porter was cut, which doesn't count).

But if you're a Steelers fan hoping for a big score next year thanks to losing Alan Faneca, I've got bad news. As of right now, the Steelers would be shut out again next year.

To get a compensatory pick, you have to have signed less unrestricted free agents than the number that you lose. That's the problem for the Steelers. While Keyaron Fox, Mewelde Moore and Justin Hartwig are all relatively inexpensive signings, they all were unrestricted free agents. The Steelers have lost only two unrestricted free agents (Faneca and Clark Haggans). So if you're hoping to see the Steelers get an extra pick next year, it's time to root for Brian St. Pierre, Marquis Cooper, Verron Haynes and Dan Kreider to find good jobs elsewhere, to tip the balance. If that happens, Pittsburgh will likely get an extra third-round pick in 2008, but it all depends on signing fewer free agents than the Steelers lose.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/03/31/s...on-comp-picks/

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-24-2009, 01:57 PM   #15
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post

BMAC - He's gone. Not because I wouldn't love to see him pair with Ike, but he's already priced himself out of our range and with his agent (Rosenhaus) and his exposure in the playoffs and SB, there is no way he stays here. Just get us a few INT's in the Super Bowl BMAC, and we'll wish you well.

this is a messageboard invented myth based on hate for rosenhaus and some of his clients (TO).

d. townsend has more int's in the playoffs than b-mac. he has played well but still hasnt put himself on the national radar like champ bailey or a. samuel.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:07 PM   #16
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

I'd like to see B-Mac, Kemo, and Washington resigned. If Starks wants to come back, he needs to be ready to deal. We can say good bye to everyone else.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:10 PM   #17
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
Steelers To Be Shut Out on Comp Picks

Posted Mar 31st 2008 7:27 AM by JJ Cooper (author feed)
Filed Under: Steelers, AFC North, Pittsburgh
When the NFL announces its compensatory picks this week, don't expect to see the Steelers get any. Pittsburgh seems certain to remain stuck with six picks for April's draft. That was to be expected since the Steelers didn't really lose any significant free agents last year (Joey Porter was cut, which doesn't count).

But if you're a Steelers fan hoping for a big score next year thanks to losing Alan Faneca, I've got bad news. As of right now, the Steelers would be shut out again next year.

To get a compensatory pick, you have to have signed less unrestricted free agents than the number that you lose. That's the problem for the Steelers. While Keyaron Fox, Mewelde Moore and Justin Hartwig are all relatively inexpensive signings, they all were unrestricted free agents. The Steelers have lost only two unrestricted free agents (Faneca and Clark Haggans). So if you're hoping to see the Steelers get an extra pick next year, it's time to root for Brian St. Pierre, Marquis Cooper, Verron Haynes and Dan Kreider to find good jobs elsewhere, to tip the balance. If that happens, Pittsburgh will likely get an extra third-round pick in 2008, but it all depends on signing fewer free agents than the Steelers lose.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/03/31/s...on-comp-picks/
wow. thats bullshit. i never knew signing scrub, minimum wage special teamers was taken into account. i always thought it was on a position by position basis, and not overall total. i guess tuman was cut. im not sure if kreider being signed and then cut by the rams counts as tipping the balance. it might.

i hope im right....
Old 01-24-2009, 02:11 PM   #18
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
this is a messageboard invented myth based on hate for rosenhaus and some of his clients (TO).

d. townsend has more int's in the playoffs than b-mac. he has played well but still hasnt put himself on the national radar like champ bailey or a. samuel.

Exactly!

Thing is, our FO actually likes dealing with Rosenhaus because he is up front and honest. So I doubt very much that just having R. pushes B-Mac out.

However, if he does, I think Gay is able to step up and play. The kid has been pretty impressive.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:13 PM   #19
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
wow. thats bullshit. i never knew signing scrub, minimum wage special teamers was taken into account. i always thought it was on a position by position basis, and not overall total. i guess tuman was cut. im not sure if kreider being signed and then cut by the rams counts as tipping the balance. it might.

i hope im right....
does retrofosky (long snapper) count? wasn't krieder cut?
.........cut players don't count
Quote:
(Joey Porter was cut, which doesn't count).

Old 01-24-2009, 02:15 PM   #20
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Quote:

This "myth" is not confined to messageboards. This is something that a lot of people in the NFL believe as well.

I don't hate Rosenhaus. I admire the guy for being able to take care of his clients. I just think that BMAC has already priced his way out of what we can pay him. Rosenhaus will do his job and get him the most money he can.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote