Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 01-24-2009, 09:39 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Sweed emotion

Bires: Sweed emotion
http://www.timesonline.com/articles/...e541220746.txt

AP photo by KEITH SRAKOCIC ALMOST THE GOAT: Limas Sweed dropped a would-be touchdown in the AFC Championship victory.

By Mike Bires
Times Sports Staff

PITTSBURGH — Only one Steeler worked overtime after Friday’s practice, and it comes as no surprise that it was the near-goat of the AFC Championship Game.

As every one else headed to the locker room, Limas Sweed stayed behind to work on pass catching skills.

After last Sunday, he needs all the extra practice he can get.

Sweed, a rookie wide receiver, almost became the most reviled athlete in Pittsburgh for dropping a touchdown pass and then apparently faking an injury.

In a brutally physical 23-14 win over Baltimore, Sweed cost the Steelers 10 points.

Besides the seven points he threw away by dropping a perfectly thrown bomb from Ben Roethlisberger that should have been a 50-yard TD pass, he also cost the Steelers a chance to kick a chip-shot field goal. He did that by feigning injury after his drop.

It appeared that perhaps he had the wind knocked out of him. But according to coach MikeTomlin, Sweed was faking.

Sweed’s act cost the Steelers their third and final timeout (When a player is injured with less than two minutes left in the second and fourth quarters, his team is charged with a timeout). That wasted timeout proved costly.

Six plays after Sweed’s drop, the Steelers advanced to the Ravens’ 12-yard line only to have the half end before Roethlisberger could stop the clock with a spike. Had they had that last timeout, Jeff Reed would have come in and tried a 30-yard field goal.

After his drop, Sweed was reamed out by Tomlin on the sideline.

“I leave what specifically was said between him and I,” Tomlin said Tuesday at his weekly press conference. “I said what I thought needed to be said at that time.”

But in this week’s editions of Sports Illustrated, Tomlin said, “I wasn’t mad because he dropped the ball. That kind of mistake can happen to anyone. I was pissed that he lay on the ground, faked an injury and cost us our last timeout. My point was, ‘Be a man! Grow up!’”

To Sweed’s credit, he did respond positively.

Four plays after his drop, he threw a devastating block that leveled cornerback Corey Ivy.

Then on a third-and-8 call on the first play of the fourth quarter, he caught a pass for 14 yards and a first down.

“He is a young guy that has a desire to help us win,” Tomlin said. “His actions on a day to day basis at this (practice) facility indicate that. Sometimes he fails. He fails inside stadiums and that’s part of being a young guy. But we are in January and it’s time for young guys to grow up.

“Hopefully he falls into that category. Hopefully some of those things that happened after that drop are an indication of the direction in which he is headed. We are going to need positive contributions from everyone in order to come back with the Lombardi Trophy.”

Yes, Sweed, the Steelers’ second-round draft pick, may have to play in Super Bowl XLIII.

If Hines Ward has any setbacks with the knee he sprained in the AFC Championship, Sweed will be the No. 3 receiver.

Ward’s injury was why Sweed played against the Ravens in the first place.

No doubt, the Steelers coaches hope that Sweed doesn’t have to play much against the Arizona Cardinals. But if he does, they can only hope he’s “man” enough to handle the pressure of the biggest game in sports.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:49 AM   #2
tyler289
Team Captain

Member Number: 9049
Default Re: Sweed emotion

The kid seems to really want to make up for that drop. Hopefully he has a couple big plays in the SB.
tyler289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:41 AM   #3
skinart82
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3485

I hope he goes the way of Holmes after his rookie season. Everybody wanted rid of him after all the fumbles and drops and now in his 3rd season he is a big part of the offense. Maybe Sweed will step up and be that kind of receiver. Ward might be immortal, but he won't play forever!
skinart82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:52 AM   #4
TheSteelCurtain
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 10715

I think that drop was the best thing to happen to Limas. Man thats why i love coach tomlin he dont sugarcoat anything.
TheSteelCurtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:53 AM   #5
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

well i yelled at him too for just laying there!!! i wasnt nice about it either which i am sure coach wasnt either get yourt bruised ego up off the turf! I know i know he is gona panout and be a really good reciever! I hope what ever coach said cares over to the syuper bowl if he plays!!

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:53 AM   #6
SteelTalons
Starter

Member Number: 11867

Good to hear.
SteelTalons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:55 AM   #7
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,426 Times in 516 Posts

Quote:
In a brutally physical 23-14 win over Baltimore, Sweed cost the Steelers 10 points.
Not completely fair. He also played DB on Ben's worst pass of the day, preventing it from being intercepted in the end zone and preserving a FG for us. I'm also glad to hear he's working to try and correct his deficiencies as a WR.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:07 AM   #8
SC Steeler Steve
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 12276

Quote:
Impossible, you cant score both on one drive. he may have cost us 7 but not 10. And I agree with franchise '76, he saved us 3 with the defensive play in the endzone. I thought that pass was picked.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:28 PM   #9
GodofGridiron
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10597

He will get a chance to redeem himself this next game. I dont think Hines will be 100 percent so its up to Limas to step up his game. We do know that he can/will get open.....question is, will he make that over -the- shoulder grab when hes beaten coverage next time ?
GodofGridiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:46 PM   #10
7SteelGal43
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12283

I sure hope Sweed steps it up next year. When Hines is gone (or out for a game), it'd be good to have a Holmes - Sweed tandem at WR.

sig by steelax04
7SteelGal43 is offline   Reply With Quote