Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-26-2009, 06:51 PM   #21
I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 10606
Default Re: Fisherman in Venuzuela using Kittens as shark bait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
Sorry, no dice. Kittens aren't humans
Your rationale was that what is considered taboo by us is normal for them. Like I said, cannibalism is "normal" to some people.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:02 PM   #22
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

This is a morality question.

Lets examine the facts behind most serial killers. As children, they engage in cruelty to anmials, including, slicing up dogs, burning cats, and hurting any animals they can get their hands on, which for the most part are what are known and referred to as Domesticated Animals.

If a kid went out, and shot a deer and cut it up and field stripped, nobody would think for a second about it. But same kid, field strips a Cat, we got problems.

Why?

Because by attacking and harming an animal that is known to be a companion or domesticated animal, you are in essence attacking the society that recognizes those animals as domesticated.

So these guys know, they are using an animal that many people around the world treat differently than say, squirrels or rodents. They are attacking all normal thinking people, civilized if you will, by using a known domesticated animal as bait.

As for this issue, I'm pisssed the guys are even catching sharks, let alone using kittens as bait.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:52 PM   #23
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Quote:
You can buy dog-kebobs in any major city in China. Should we invade? Heck, we snack on cows over here, which are not only "domesticated" in India but actually worshipped. Are we a threat to them; a nation of serial killers?
No, I was simply pointing out why people in this country may find the behavior of using live kittens as bait for shark fishing as appailing.

I don't care what they do in China, they are heathens and they are be beneath me.

How's that?

Last edited by Dino 6 Rings; 01-26-2009 at 08:15 PM.
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:29 PM   #24
I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Cannibalism is also a violation of international law, whereas kitty-fishing isn't. But looking at it from the moral standpoint of them being one and the same, is it our business as a nation to invade West Djibouti and impose our Western morals on them at gunpoint if they snack on their kids?
So answer my question. Should it be an outrage if these people were using babies as bait? If your argument is that a life is a life no matter how cute or ugly it is, is using a baby as bait any different than using a kitten?
Old 01-26-2009, 08:32 PM   #25
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold View Post
So answer my question. Should it be an outrage if these people were using babies as bait? If your argument is that a life is a life no matter how cute or ugly it is, is using a baby as bait any different than using a kitten?
Well if they were using aborted babies...then wouldn't that be ok with the current White House administration?
Old 01-26-2009, 08:34 PM   #26
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,770 Times in 4,059 Posts

why not use tofu or soyburger?
Old 01-26-2009, 08:35 PM   #27
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
why not use tofu or soyburger?
Sharks eat meat, don't think they'd bite on Tofu...however I've had a couple good soyburgers in my day..so that may work if the shark was really high...I mean...hungry...
Old 01-26-2009, 09:08 PM   #28
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

GoSlash,

I realize you are trying to play devil's advocate, and I have taken ENTIRE COURSES dedicated to ethics in world context. That isn't a braggart statement; I'm just saying that (despite this post) this can not be resolved here on a message board.

But I'll play!

I understand where you are coming from, and the "yuk" factor (actual term) makes such cross-cultural arguments IMPOSSIBLE to "win" entirely. This is why I slid you the yawny face before. You already know that your stance is unbreakable because of the "yuk" factor. Quite frankly, from a world context, there is absolutely nothing wrong with what these guys are doing. They are using live bait to fish. A lot of people use live bait to fish.

The fact that they are Americans makes it taboo. It is as if the are betraying their own cultural norms. That is part of what makes it outrageous. The other part is this:

America portrays kittens as adorable, innocent, and heart-squishingly mischievous.

You really expect people to not be upset at a blatant disregard of our mores?

Come on.

MY problem with it is that... well... shit... I like kitties.

Shark>Kitty is an obvious statement, but cats are not part of the natural diet of a shark. Again, I return to the blatant disregard of social norms. Of course people will get riled up. Not only is it natural, it would be universally frowned upon if there were a universal perception of cats. We simply get riled up. Egyptians would probably be looking for blood.

Also, note the source. Isn't there a moment of the video where one of the guys is pretending to hump a dead marlin?

These are the same slack-jawed yokels that root for the Titans.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:19 PM   #29
I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
Assistant Coach

GoSlash,

Practically there is no distinction between "human" and "animal" life. Humans are animals.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:57 PM   #30
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401

I cannot stand cats, but why would they use kittens as bait? This is very disgusting. And I don't care which countries does what just because it's their tradition or whatever, but someone just said these guys were Americans. Americans!!! Just because cannibalism is accepted in some other countries, do you think the Americans should go over there & start eating humans? I don't think so.