Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-25-2009, 09:48 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Notes: Cards don't mind early deficit

Notes: Cards don't mind early deficit
http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...t-cardsnb.html

by Bob McManaman - Jan. 24, 2009 07:07 PM
The Arizona Republic

Much is being made about the Cardinals' chances in the Super Bowl should they find themselves facing an early deficit against the Pittsburgh Steelers and their top-ranked defense.

Specifically, few think the Cardinals can come back if they fall behind by 14 or more points.

"No way in the world are they going to come back from a 14-point deficit and beat the Pittsburgh Steelers," Patriots safety Rodney Harrison said on the NFL Network.

Told of Harrison's prediction, Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt smiled and said, "Well, I guess we better not fall behind by two touchdowns."

"Look, you never know how games are going to go," he added. "But we've done some really good things offensively, especially in the playoffs, and if it comes down to that situation, I would expect our team will respond."

Cardinals receiver Anquan Boldin didn't want to respond to Harrison's comments.

"We're not going to win any game by talking through the media or anything like that," Boldin said. "We're going to come out and play football and let the rest take care of itself."

Still, Boldin said the Cardinals would be able to overcome an early deficit.

"We're a team that can score points, and we have a defense that can stop teams from scoring," he said. "If we do get down, there's no reason to panic, because we've been down this season and have been able to come back from some deficits."

(Well if they don't mind an early deficit I think we should accommodate them. - mesa)

Injury update

Running back J.J. Arrington won't test his injured knee in practice until after the team arrives in Tampa.

Whisenhunt remained optimistic about the availability of Arrington, defensive end/outside linebacker Travis LaBoy (biceps tendon) and punter Ben Graham (groin) for the Super Bowl.

Extra points

Whisenhunt said he has called for a nightly team curfew in Tampa that begins Wednesday and continues through Saturday night. He would not disclose the curfew time. (A curfew? Well that's showing a lot of trust in his team. - mesa)

The Cardinals will wear their red home jerseys in Super Bowl XLIII, and the Steelers will wear their road white jerseys. (How nice of them to wear red since the blood won't show as we beat the crap out of them. - mesa)
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:54 PM   #2
Whizard of Glendale
Banned

Member Number: 12038
Default Re: Notes: Cards don't mind early deficit

Nice... a little fuel for the Cards. They got their doubters... bout to shock the world.
Whizard of Glendale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:57 PM   #3
IAWarnerFan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12150

I agree tho. If the Cardinals are to have any chance in this one they better take control early.
IAWarnerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:08 PM   #4
tyler289
Team Captain

Member Number: 9049

If there's an offense that can come back from 14 down, it may be Arizona. Besides, 14-0 in the 1st quarter isn't really that bad. If it's 14-0 or something in the 4th, they'll have some trouble
tyler289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:09 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,825 Times in 2,091 Posts

and likewise, if the steelers are down 24-6, i have no doubt whatsoever that the steelers can easilly come back.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:16 PM   #6
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
"We're a team that can score points, and we have a defense that can stop teams from scoring," he said.
Tell that to the Eagles, Jets, Giants, Vikes and Cheatsies*.

Quote:
"If we do get down, there's no reason to panic, because we've been down this season and have been able to come back from some deficits."
You've also given up some nice leads there, pal. Last week's game ring a bell?

Looking forward to seeing you make an azz of yourself throwing another temper tantrum at your OC on national TV.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:22 PM   #7
ADub>Bustamalu
Banned

Member Number: 12439

We gave up a lead to D McNabb and the high powered Philly offense. You guys can not move the ball down the field the way Philly can. Not saying you can't drive, because you can. I just don't see your team being able to knock off huge chunks of yards in a short amount of time like us or like Philly.
ADub>Bustamalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:30 PM   #8
drizze99
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1070

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
and likewise, if the steelers are down 24-6, i have no doubt whatsoever that the steelers can easilly come back.
true dat

"You win by attrition. You impose your will on your opponent." ~ Mike Tomlin
drizze99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:33 PM   #9
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADub>Bustamalu View Post
We gave up a lead to D McNabb and the high powered Philly offense. You guys can not move the ball down the field the way Philly can. Not saying you can't drive, because you can. I just don't see your team being able to knock off huge chunks of yards in a short amount of time like us or like Philly.
Since you made a football post, I'll bite:

See, that's just it. The Steelers don't HAVE to eat up large chunks of yardage because they try to control the clock by running the football. They want long, sustained drives that ends in TDs, thus keeping the Cards' offense on the sideline and tiring out their defense. That is one of the keys in this game - if the Steelers get their running game going consistently, it's going to be a long night for the Cards. I think that's part of the reason why the Cards are where they are - the teams you faced abandoned the run early and tried to attack your secondary. The Steelers (hopefully) will not do that.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:41 PM   #10
TheSteelCurtain
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 10715

You do know since Cowher became coach we are 126-1-1 with a 14pt lead at any time in the game. I dont look for that to get broken.
TheSteelCurtain is offline   Reply With Quote