Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-26-2009, 12:56 AM   #1
TheSteelCurtain
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 10715
Default Time for a Pens Turnaround.

What a frustrating season.

Do you think we can make that big trade or pickup we need?
Do you think a Helthy Gonchar and Zigomans are gonna be enough this late in the season?
What do you think about Whitney or Letang trade bait?

Lets hear what yall got to say.
TheSteelCurtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:11 AM   #2
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Location: In A Place Where There Is No Other Hockey Fans!!!!!!
Member Number: 5365
Default Re: Time for a Pens Turnaround.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSteelCurtain View Post
What a frustrating season.

Do you think we can make that big trade or pickup we need?
Do you think a Helthy Gonchar and Zigomans are gonna be enough this late in the season?
What do you think about Whitney or Letang trade bait?

Lets hear what yall got to say.
right now we will barely get anything for Whitney, while he has 6 points in 15 games since coming back he still is a -8 and i think most teams look at the plus/minus of defenseman before the points.

we won't be trading Letang, he is still only 21 and he has been our best two-way d-man. he still has to potential to be a big time scorer at the point, you don't trade him away for a quick fix.

im pretty sure Zigomanis is done for the year, he has the same injury that Gonchar had, and would miss the same amount of time which would put him out for the rest of the year.

I don't see the Pens making that big of a deal this season like last, you got to think long term. we cant afford to be giving away our top draft picks, our farm system is VERY shallow when it comes to potential top-6 forwards. if we make any big trades it is gonna be a 1 for 1 or something like Whitney for a forward or Staal and GoGo for a forward. Something along the lines of that, there is no way we should trade away more future draft picks for a one year fix
pittsburghp8baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:47 AM   #3
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghp8baller View Post
right now we will barely get anything for Whitney, while he has 6 points in 15 games since coming back he still is a -8 and i think most teams look at the plus/minus of defenseman before the points.

we won't be trading Letang, he is still only 21 and he has been our best two-way d-man. he still has to potential to be a big time scorer at the point, you don't trade him away for a quick fix.

im pretty sure Zigomanis is done for the year, he has the same injury that Gonchar had, and would miss the same amount of time which would put him out for the rest of the year.

I don't see the Pens making that big of a deal this season like last, you got to think long term. we cant afford to be giving away our top draft picks, our farm system is VERY shallow when it comes to potential top-6 forwards. if we make any big trades it is gonna be a 1 for 1 or something like Whitney for a forward or Staal and GoGo for a forward. Something along the lines of that, there is no way we should trade away more future draft picks for a one year fix
Staal and Whitney are our best tradeable assets, and Whitney would be able to fetch more than you think. A highly skilled offensive defenseman with 4 years left on his contract at $4 million per season - a lot of teams would be all over that. It looks as if Staal is going to stay, so if they're going to get a top 6 forward, Whitney will be part of the deal for sure, though I can't see them including a #1 pick, not with such a deep draft this year. Speaking of which, there's a rumor that the Pens are looking at either Nathan Horton or David Booth, and the Panthers want Whitney in return as part of the deal. We'll see what happens, but they are going to make some kind of deal before the deadline.

And yes, Zigomanis is done for the year. He had season-ending shoulder surgery last week. As a result, the Pens are looking to bring back Adam Hall, but the Lightning want a 3rd round pick. Too much.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:55 AM   #4
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Staal and Whitney are our best tradeable assets, and Whitney would be able to fetch more than you think. A highly skilled offensive defenseman with 4 years left on his contract at $4 million per season - a lot of teams would be all over that. It looks as if Staal is going to stay, so if they're going to get a top 6 forward, Whitney will be part of the deal for sure, though I can't see them including a #1 pick, not with such a deep draft this year. Speaking of which, there's a rumor that the Pens are looking at either Nathan Horton or David Booth, and the Panthers want Whitney in return as part of the deal. We'll see what happens, but they are going to make some kind of deal before the deadline.

And yes, Zigomanis is done for the year. He had season-ending shoulder surgery last week. As a result, the Pens are looking to bring back Adam Hall, but the Lightning want a 3rd round pick. Too much.
i heard about the Adam Hall trade and that we were in disagreement over the draft pick we would give up. As for the Florida trade, i have a hard time thinking the Panthers would part ways with Horton. if they did trade him, and it was for Whitney, they would have to of traded Bouwmeester already. and with Florida just one point out of a playoff spot i don't see them making that many big moves, unless they start to fade fast.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:59 AM   #5
TheSteelCurtain
Starter
Supporter

Yeah i agree the ultimate goal is a Stanley Cup or 3 not a playoff run.
We got soldout games and a new stadium on the way. We gotta plan for the future. We cant drop some good players and get a rent a player. (F U HOSSA). Staal just got a new contract and is playing out of his skull right now he isnt going anywhere. Ryan Whitney really pisses me off sometimes.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:00 PM   #6
TheSteelCurtain
Starter
Supporter

How about we get the Kovalchuck deal done? hehe
Old 01-26-2009, 12:14 PM   #7
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSteelCurtain View Post
How about we get the Kovalchuck deal done? hehe
that would involve way too much, it would probably make the Hossa trade seem like a steal, he is their captain now
Old 01-26-2009, 12:38 PM   #8
I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 10606

I gotta ask, what happened? Hockey is really hard to follow out of state, so I only get to read it in the papers or catch games now and then. But how to we give the Redwings a run for their money in a Stanley Cup showdown, and then suck a big one the following season?
Old 01-26-2009, 12:50 PM   #9
TheSteelCurtain
Starter
Supporter

I would go as far as sucking. But we did not play to our potential. Were only 2 games out of a playoff spot.
Gonchar Anchored our defense and powerplay. I hate to gripe on one player making a defense or differance but i really feel he did. I just think we dont have the depth we did last year either. We got 5-6 young players we need to make a impact not just get by.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:04 PM   #10
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold View Post
I gotta ask, what happened? Hockey is really hard to follow out of state, so I only get to read it in the papers or catch games now and then. But how to we give the Redwings a run for their money in a Stanley Cup showdown, and then suck a big one the following season?
Lots of factors:

- They had in essence just 6 weeks off after going to the SCF before they had to start training again for the regular season.
- Virtually no TC/preseason, thus really hampering the ability of the team to jell with all of the new players coming in.
- Crappy scheduling that has been road-heavy. The Pens going to Sweden really screwed things up and forced them to play a LOT of back-to-back games and 3 games in 4 night stretches since they had 8 days off after getting back from Sweden. The kicker - the Pens have no more Saturday night home games the rest of the season and just 2 Saturday home games overall, and both are on their 8-game homestand in March.
- Injuries, injuries, injuries. Losing Gonchar when Whitney was already out probably hurt the most. In addition to those two, Crosby, Talbot, Dupuis, Gill, Godard, Fedotenko, Zigomanis, Kennedy, Scuderi, Letang, Orpik, Boucher, Fleury and Goligoski have all missed time due to injury/illness. Ziggy, of course, is done for the year, Tank is on IR until the end of February and Gonchar is out until early March. Dupuis, Orpik and Talbot are still questionable for Wednesday against the Rangers. They have lost over 180 man-games due to injury, and counting.

But yet, despite all of this, they are still within striking distance of a playoff berth, and they can thank that hot start to the season for that.

Last edited by X-Terminator; 01-26-2009 at 01:19 PM.
X-Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote