Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 01-26-2009, 06:25 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Monday Madden: So, what if Ward doesn't play?

Monday Madden: So, what if Ward doesn't play?
http://www.timesonline.com/articles/...9829088625.txt

By Mark Madden, Special to The Times
Published: Monday, January 26, 2009 12:00 AM EST
Even as Hines Ward subjects his sprained knee to “accelerated” rehab, whatever that is, coach Mike Tomlin must think about facing a very difficult decision.

What if Ward can’t play?

Ward will doubtless be able to trot out onto the field in Tampa and be a semblance of a receiver. But what if he’s only 60-70 percent? What if he’s too hobbled to help the Steelers as much as a healthy Limas Sweed? (Ward would probably have to lose a hand for that to be the case, and maybe not even then.)

Heaven forbid Ward thinks he can play but Tomlin doesn’t use him. Ward would never let anybody hear the end of it.

It’s a tough decision. In 1995, Steelers’ defensive back Rod Woodson tore a knee ligament in the season’s first game but returned to the lineup for Super Bowl XXX 19 weeks later. Woodson played only 12 snaps. After breaking up a pass intended for Dallas’ Michael Irvin, Woodson jumped up and joyously pointed to his knee.

The Steelers lost. Woodson didn’t blow the game, but coach Bill Cowher played Woodson mostly out of perceived obligation to a respected veteran. Tomlin seems like he would be more cutthroat in a similar situation, but spent most of last week saying Ward would play when really, he had no way of yet knowing.

Ward is the second-most important component of the Steelers offense, trailing only Ben Roethlisberger. But playing on one leg would surely cramp his physical style.

No matter what anyone says, no decision on Ward has been made. Ward, Tomlin and the Steelers organization can be as optimistic as they would like. But it all depends on what happens to that knee between now and Sunday.

Meanwhile, Ward is having the time of his life.

Ward is an attention junkie, and this gives him a chance to mainline every day. He sets alarms for midnight, 3 a.m. and 6 a.m. so he can get up and rehab. He’s sending his hyperbaric oxygen chamber to Tampa. He guarantees he’ll play, except when he says he won’t play if he’s not going to help the team.

Ward’s bum knee got him on the front page of a Pittsburgh newspaper. Not the front page of the sports section; the front page, period. I thought he got inaugurated.

Is Ward dramatizing his injury so he can get more media? I don’t know. But he sure says some entertaining things.

How, exactly, do you rehab 24/7? That sounds like Robert Downey Jr. after a drug bust. If you can, indeed, “accelerate” rehab, why doesn’t everybody? Will Ward’s dedication combine with his superior molecular structure to magically heal an injury that caused a lesser man (Willie Parker) to miss five games? Or is Ward’s problem just less severe?

If Ward plays, and performs well, he can say, “Nobody gave me a chance to do this.” If he plays, and does poorly, he has a built-in excuse. If he doesn’t play and the Steelers win, he’s a martyr. If he doesn’t play and the Steelers lose, Ward is the missing link. If the Steelers win and Ward is MVP, he’s a lock for the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Ward couldn’t have scripted this any better. All he needs is a little boy in a hospital bed (also with an injured knee) and the kid says, “Hines, please go out there and catch a touchdown for me.” Ward does, of course, and the kid gets out of bed and miraculously starts dancing. Larry Fitzgerald says, “Hines, you’re not just the leader of the Steelers’ wideouts. You’re the leader of ALL the wideouts.” At the conclusion of the Hines Ward Sprained MCL Telethon, Jerry Lewis rewrites the lyrics to “You’ll Never Walk Alone” and sings, “We thought you’d never walk again, but you sure showed us.”

Oh, and the Steelers win. I love a happy ending.

Mark Madden hosts a radio show 3-6 p.m. weekdays on WXDX-FM (105.9).
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:39 AM   #2
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292
Default Re: Monday Madden: So, what if Ward doesn't play?

Wow I can't believe that article was written by Mark Madden. I expect Ward to be out there on Sunday. And if he can't go then Holmes, Washington, Miller and Sweed are gonna have to step up and make some plays.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:44 AM   #3
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

WOW - Tubby Tuba actually penned a somewhat positive (though he takes his usual little shots) article on a Steelers player. Has hell frozen over?

I can almost guarantee Ward will play in XLIII. I'd rather have Hines at 60-70% than no Hines at all. As fatsho said - he is a key component to the Steelers O, not just from a receiving standpoint, but also his blocking abilities, physical play and what he means to the team overall.

C'mon Hines - get workin' on getting that knee in shape - we need you out there!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:46 AM   #4
Tim
Starter

Member Number: 661

Wow.. Hey, Madden being sarcastically critical of a Steeler? Someone wake me up when this blowhard something original.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:26 AM   #5
shevdog
Team Captain

Member Number: 120

Madden's been ranting about this all last week. Ward will play. I think if he isn't up to par, they might drop a man on the double team, which them will open up Ward for a couple odd plays. If Sweed blocks like he did against the Ravens, as per Ward's sideline coaching, that will go a long way to open things up for Heath, Santino, and Nate.

They are running out of things to talk about in Pittsburgh and in the national press. Wait a painful seek of hype this will be!

Steelers Football: Simply the Best!
shevdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:43 AM   #6
SteelCityKing
Head Coach

Member Number: 10886

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc View Post
Wow I can't believe that article was written by Mark Madden. I expect Ward to be out there on Sunday. And if he can't go then Holmes, Washington, Miller and Sweed are gonna have to step up and make some plays.
Miller is always there to make the plays. he's a great weapon that tends to fly under the radar from time to time. but he's got great hands and he knows how to take hits and run the ball.

Holmes is getting more and more looks in the latter part of the year and he could be the big game breaker for Sunday if Hines has to sit out. i know he'll play though.

as for Sweed, he's got a lot to prove yet. but that block on Cory Ivey might just be the way to go about getting recognized as a better all around player. but nobody blocks like Ward. =)

i like all of our weapons and i'm sure they will all get ample playing time for the big game.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:14 PM   #7
Pi Kapp Steeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 11049

I think Hines is OK. The man could play with out his hands and still catch 3 TDs in that game!
Old 01-26-2009, 02:38 PM   #8
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

He makes it sound like Ward sprained his MCL on purpose. Not at all surprising, considering the bitter fat slob of a source.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:35 PM   #9
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Steelers | Ward day-to-day
Mon, 26 Jan 2009 13:17:26 -0800

NFL.com reports Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said WR Hines Ward (knee) is considered day-to-day and will not participate in practice Wednesday, Jan. 26, because he has not worked on Wednesdays for the last several weeks.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:38 PM   #10
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628

Ben is a drama queen. Hines is a drama queen.

It's amazing this team wins with so much drama!

After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote