Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 01-26-2009, 09:45 AM   #1
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,342 Times in 1,138 Posts
Default Steelers Offense vs a 4-3 defense.

Looking back over this season I noticed that while we face a lot of 3-4 fronts....we see even more 4-3 defenses. Our 5 wins against the Texans, Redskins, Jags, Bengals and 4 losses against the Colts, Giants, Eagles, Titans......were all against teams that play a 4-3. On the other hand we swept the 3-4 teams.

I think one part is familiarity with that kind of defense. I think the other thing is that having a DT over our inconsistent guards has caused problems. IMO, Stapleton is this years version of Sean Mahan, a guy that isnt that strong to handle nose tackles, but can play adequate at guard. Kemo looked to be thinking a lot early in the season, but is a run blocking monster when he knows what he is doing.

My honest hope is to see Stapleton pull to the left a lot and even use Miller in a double pulling formation that Arians-Zeirline have used. Put an extra 550 lbs of blockers right at the Cardinals undersized side of Darnell Dockett and Travis LaBoy. Of course we can pull Kemo around too to the right, but I think Dockett and Laboy are too small to matchup against a couple 330 lb guys like Starks and Kemo.

We had troubles with some 4-3 lines, but IMO, the Giants, Eagles, Jags, Texans and Redskins front 4 was tougher than the Cardinals.
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
TheSteelCurtain
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 10715
Default Re: Steelers Offense vs a 4-3 defense.

Im not sure if it was so much the 4-3 or the quality of those team defenses. It will definately help them in stopping the run. But open up a lot in the passing game. With the cardinals secondary i welcome that seam. I have a big feeling the steelers are gonna be the ones throwing the ball all over for the good portion of the game.
TheSteelCurtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
Pi Kapp Steeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 11049

Way to point hta out Gonzo. To be honest the only game that I truly think that if you were to look back on the season the only team that really BEAT us were the Eagles and the Titans. The Giants and Colts game , I feel that the Steelers beat them selves. That being said I think running alot of draws with Willie and Moore will take care of the 4-3 . The will only have 3 LBs to respond to the run. Another thing that i want to see , that i would think well against the 4-3 is more bootlegs. Get those 4 line man moving and get them tired, and the LBs have to come up to contain to which should free up some space down the middle of the field.

IF! we use a FB in our running came , I believe that we could tear their front 7 apart. Docket will get blown off the line by our center our gard, and McHugh will get the pursuing ILB. Only IF! we used a FB

Hopefully arians will have something to take advatange of undersized dockett. Please bruce no naked screens out of the 5 wrs set! please stop doing that!!
Old 01-26-2009, 11:20 AM   #4
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

The Steelers had no problems moving the ball on the Colts.. They were done in more by Ben's turnovers than the Colts D. It's not so much of the type of front the Steelers face, it's the quality of the Defense.

The Titans, Giants and Eagles all have very good top 10 defenses. Not Steelers or Ravens good, but good D's nonetheless. The Steelers have been playing good defenses most of the year.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
.24lockdown
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 7265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
The Steelers had no problems moving the ball on the Colts..
actually we struggled with the run. memo had 24 carries for 57 yds, which is 2.4 ypc....