Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2005, 01:45 PM   #11
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 38,138
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 1,486
Thanked 6,211 Times in 2,672 Posts
Default Re: This will be our fourth straight playoff game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 to be 4
believe me, if you play the Patriots, they will treat you with the highest respect. there will no overlooking the capabilities of the Steelers from the players, coaches, or fans.
thats the impression that will be given to the media and public but what is said in the locker room is a totally different story. 'chick is definitely a good psychological strategist and tactician. part of what makes him such a successful, well rounded coach.

while i do not like the fact that it has worked for him, that is definitely not a knock on him. half the game is mental.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 03:28 PM   #12
augustashark
Assistant Coach
 
augustashark's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,432
Member Number: 900
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: This will be our fourth straight playoff game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
to bad we wont be facing opponents in the playoffs like the browns or vikings or detroit. outscoring out opponents 80-12 in the last 3 games is good for morale and momentum but thats about it.

if we make the playoffs the opposing head coach will be telling his team that
-the steelers arent shit.
-that were big headed with wins over opponents we shoulda easilly beatten.
-that were paper tigers
-that they are being disrespected by the media because of our mini-run
-that were 0-4 against afc playoff representatives and went down to the wire with the ravens and sandiego

sure, facing us in the playoffs will be intimidating for some teams, as well as it should be. but that is because of who we are, not what weve done in the past 3 weeks.

the above statements are what an opposing coach will preach to his team to quickly and psychologically get his players over the intimidation factor. while our momentum going into the playoffs helps the steelers confidence i dont really think it does anything to make our potential opponents scared. atleast if their well coached it wont (patriots)


Tony,
I can say without a doubt, that a coach will never talk about the points you said above! Any coach worth salt always plays up the opponents! If the pats or any team in the playoffs use that kind of speach they will not win!!

I think that Jacksonville may use that kind of motivation, because they play down to the other teams level. IMO.
augustashark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 03:36 PM   #13
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 38,138
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 1,486
Thanked 6,211 Times in 2,672 Posts
Default Re: This will be our fourth straight playoff game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustashark
Tony,
I can say without a doubt, that a coach will never talk about the points you said above! Any coach worth salt always plays up the opponents! If the pats or any team in the playoffs use that kind of speach they will not win!!

I think that Jacksonville may use that kind of motivation, because they play down to the other teams level. IMO.
that thinking is a bit naiive. no coach recently has played the no respect card more than b. belicheck. dont you remember the 2001 playoffs and the locker room motivation he used against the steelers? youre kidding yourself if you dont think coaches use firey locker room speeches downgrading the opponents capabilities to motivate and hype up their players. while this isnt necessarily bill cowhers style, the coaches who dont do it arent trying to hard to win. (keep in mind this tactic only works and works more if the team wins) if it fails a coach can lose his players and be out of a job real quick)

ever notice the high turn over of head coaches in the nfl?
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 03:55 PM   #14
augustashark
Assistant Coach
 
augustashark's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,432
Member Number: 900
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: This will be our fourth straight playoff game!

Tony, I agree with some of what you are saying, but trust me coaches do not downgrade their opponents like you think they do. If they did it would give their team the impression that they don't have to play to full ability!!!

If you and I were going to play a one on one b-ball game, would you want someone to tell you that this guy is a bum or you might want to play you best because I heard this guy is a real stud.

You want to let your team know that they are bettter and should win if they play their best but not that this team is paper tiger's....
augustashark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 04:41 PM   #15
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 38,138
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 1,486
Thanked 6,211 Times in 2,672 Posts
Default Re: This will be our fourth straight playoff game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustashark
Tony, I agree with some of what you are saying, but trust me coaches do not downgrade their opponents like you think they do. If they did it would give their team the impression that they don't have to play to full ability!!!

If you and I were going to play a one on one b-ball game, would you want someone to tell you that this guy is a bum or you might want to play you best because I heard this guy is a real stud.

You want to let your team know that they are bettter and should win if they play their best but not that this team is paper tiger's....
it depends if you think playing with fear is better than playing with confidence. a great coach will use both tactics, depending on the circumstances. cowher did a great job of talking up the browns (to the media atleast and several other teams we have faced recently) but does it really serve any purpose talking up the 2 time defending champs?

any coach who tries one of these tactics exclusively over the other is probably gonna fail. just like an even balance between passing and running the ball there needs to be a calculated balance between using these types of motivational tactics and "mind games " so to speak. but you are probably correct on "paper tigers". that was probably too extreme of an example for me to use.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 04:45 PM   #16
augustashark
Assistant Coach
 
augustashark's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,432
Member Number: 900
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: This will be our fourth straight playoff game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
it depends if you think playing with fear is better than playing with confidence. a great coach will use both tactics, depending on the circumstances. cowher did a great job of talking up the browns (to the media atleast and several other teams we have faced recently) but does it really serve any purpose talking up the 2 time defending champs?

any coach who tries one of these tactics exclusively over the other is probably gonna fail. just like an even balance between passing and running the ball there needs to be a calculated balance between using these types of motivational tactics and "mind games " so to speak. but you are probably correct on "paper tigers". that was probably too extreme of an example for me to use.

Your right!!! I think we are talking about the same thing here....

Good points!
augustashark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 07:27 PM   #17
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hollidaysburg PA
Posts: 19,587
Gender: Male
Member Number: 541
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: This will be our fourth straight playoff game!

Nice Game Guys. Keep It Up. Next Week. We Take The Bengals OUT OF THE PLAYOF PICTURE!
__________________

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts