Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 01-30-2009, 04:05 AM   #1
UltimateFootballNetwork
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 9674
Default Another Mewelde Moore thread...

I am sure I will get crucified for starting this thread since I seem to be the only 1 (or maybe 2/3 others) wondering why Mewelde Moore is not a bigger (if not big) part of the gameplan.

But Karlos Dansby said the following (via Football Outsiders)

Quote:
Jamie Dukes of the NFL Network asked Dansby on Wednesday who the Cardinals' defense was really looking out for in this game. Dansby's answer may have surprised a lot of people: He replied that backup running back Mewelde Moore was a focus. Of course, Football Outsiders has been wondering about Willie Parker's boom-and-bustitude for a long time, and the fact that he ranked 33rd in DYAR among running backs with at least 100 rushes while Moore ranked 13th makes you wonder why Parker has had 51 postseason carries to Moore's four.
This comes after Atlanta Falcons coach Mike Smith talked about the Steelers running game and brought up Moore.

Quote:
And Pittsburgh's Willie Parker looks like he's back to the level he was in recent years. One guy for the Steelers who I think is very underrated is Mewelde Moore. He does a nice job both running and catching the ball.
Again, I ask the question. Even if you think FWP should start and/or get some/most of the carries, why isnt anyone talking about why they do not use Mewelde Moore. Other teams worry about him and yet Tomlin/Arians dont use him?
Old 01-30-2009, 04:10 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,206 Times in 1,361 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Another Mewelde Moore thread...

I would say Moore could be a big part of this offense just look what he did when Parker and Mendenhall went down with and injury I would say he will see some playing time in the superbowl regardless of what Parker does.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:27 AM   #3
JackHammer
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 5640

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateFootballNetwork View Post
I am sure I will get crucified for starting this thread since I seem to be the only 1 (or maybe 2/3 others) wondering why Mewelde Moore is not a bigger (if not big) part of the gameplan.

But Karlos Dansby said the following (via Football Outsiders)

This comes after Atlanta Falcons coach Mike Smith talked about the Steelers running game and brought up Moore.

Again, I ask the question. Even if you think FWP should start and/or get some/most of the carries, why isnt anyone talking about why they do not use Mewelde Moore. Other teams worry about him and yet Tomlin/Arians dont use him?
The answer to your question is simple: We're winning. If we would've lost to SD or Baltimore, we'd be hearing a lot of questions about not utilizing Moore enough.
JackHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:33 AM   #4
UltimateFootballNetwork
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 9674

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackHammer View Post
The answer to your question is simple: We're winning. If we would've lost to SD or Baltimore, we'd be hearing a lot of questions about not utilizing Moore enough.
That is a silly answer. These are two seperate issues.

Against SD, the OL was dominant and going along with a dominant defense SD was never in the game.

Vs Baltimore, the defense crushed the Ravens and despite the Steelers offense only scoring 16 points the Ravens were never in the game.

So while I think Arizonas defense is better than SDs defense but not as good as Baltimores defense it lies somewhere in the middle.

But when you are facing Warner, Fitzgerald, Boldin, Edge, you better score more than 16 points. How many are points are needed? The Steelers cannot afford to leave points on the field.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:12 AM   #5
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,905 Times in 954 Posts

A better question is ....Why does a Redskin fan like yourself devote his time to coming on a Steelers message board to actively campaign for their backup RB to start???

Its not like most of us feel the need to go and pimp Rock Cartwright at the Redskins site.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:50 AM   #6
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Member Number: 2648

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
A better question is ....Why does a Redskin fan like yourself devote his time to coming on a Steelers message board to actively campaign for their backup RB to start???

Its not like most of us feel the need to go and pimp Rock Cartwright at the Redskins site.
Thank you!!! :applaud it:
Old 01-30-2009, 09:29 AM   #7
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

C'mon folks - the guy has a legitimate question imho.

This is the Super Bowl - pull out all the stops. MeMo most times has delivered when called upon. Why not work him into the O scheme to catch the Cards D off guard?

Though I love FWP as the main back against the Cards front line, I wouldn't mind seeing MeMo in there when we need a really tough yard or two. Why not also utilize him on the screen pass?

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:04 AM   #8
Hammer Of The GODS
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 8148

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
C'mon folks - the guy has a legitimate question imho.
Agreed.

FWP needs to have a productive game. But that doesn't mean that MeMo should be overlooked.

MeMo is definately better at catching the ball. Why not use that advantage? Mix it up! 1st and 10 line MeMo up in the backfield WITH FWP and create some confusion. Then put MeMo in motion out wide and then the D HAS to send at least a LB out to cover. Opens up more room for FWP to run, or quick flip the ball to MeMo.

It just make sense to use his talent especially in a game where you might have to keep pace with a high scoring O.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:27 AM   #9
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

One more thing: If the passing game is off because of Ward's injury, Moore could be absolutely key in opening things up. Maybe it's just me, but I think our passing game in general benefits from having him on the field -- and not just from the yardage he gains when he catches a pass. If the defense has to cover him, it stretches them thinner and our other guys have an easier time getting open too.

I mean, I don't think we'll have trouble moving the ball on these guys anyway, but if we need a little kick-start, Moore might be the guy to do it.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:29 AM   #10
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Moore is a slightly better than average RB who is a much better than average receiving RB and a really good blocking back, ergo he's a great option as a 3rd down back which is exactly how the Steelers MOST EFFECTIVELY utilize him.

That's about all there is to it. This dude has an agenda, and he's advancing it, but the reality is the Steelers coaches are putting their best situational players in the best possible situations. FWP is a far superior everydown back, therefore he gets the majority of the 1 and 2 down carries.

I do think I'd rather see MeMo lined up as a WR than Sweed. Sweed pretty much sucks...