Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 01-30-2009, 06:28 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Hartwig: Steelers not concerned about Cardinals

Hartwig: Steelers not concerned about Cardinals
This article has been read 31 times.
By F. Dale Lolley, Staff writer
http://www.observer-reporter.com/OR/...ers-arrogance-

dlolley@observer-reporter.com

TAMPA, Fla. - Unlike some previous Super Bowls, there hasn't been any disrespectful banter or trash talk between the Steelers and Arizona Cardinals.

At least there hadn't been until Thursday as the teams held their last media day before Super Bowl XLIII at Raymond James Stadium.

Steelers center Justin Hartwig unexpectedly called into question Arizona's schedule while talking about the difficulty of the one Pittsburgh played during the regular season.

The Steelers went 12-4 and won the AFC North Division while playing what was considered the league's most difficult schedule.

Arizona, meanwhile, won the NFC West with a 9-7 record, losing four of its final six games.

"We played the toughest schedule in the league," Hartwig said while talking about the Steelers' offensive line.

"It's easy to point fingers and say, 'You guys didn't live up to expectations' and 'You guys were the letdown of the team.' We try not to get caught up in that. At the same time, we were playing the top defenses in the league week in and week out. We weren't playing in the NFC West. We had the toughest schedule in the league. I think we gained a lot of valuable experience from our schedule. We see things on film and things are a lot easier now.

"We're not playing Baltimore's defense. Arizona isn't as complicated as Baltimore. I think we understand what we're doing going into this game."

Hartwig also looked at what Arizona did in a Dec. 21 loss at New England - a 47-7 thrashing - as a point of reference between the Steelers and Cardinals.

"We went up to New England and we took it to them," Hartwig said of Pittsburgh's 33-10 win at New England Nov. 20.

"These guys went into New England and lost by 50 points or something like that. So I think it was a team, in my mind, that was written off at the end of the year. They snuck into the playoffs. I guess they won their division - they backed into it. Maybe they were a little underappreciated. At the same time, we're only concerned with the Pittsburgh Steelers, not the Arizona Cardinals. We feel like if we go out and play our best football and take care of business and do what we need to do, we're the only team that can beat us."

That mentality by the Steelers is one that permeates throughout the team.

Some would call it arrogance, others say it's confidence.

"It ain't about any other teams. It's about us," said nose tackle Casey Hampton. "If we go out there and play the way we're capable of playing, we're going to be good.

"That's our mentality. We feel like if we're on, we'll be all right. If we don't beat ourselves, we'll be all right. That's just how it is. That's how we've always felt. Does that make us bad guys thinking like that? It ain't no swagger, that's how it is."

Hampton did, however, stop short of making any guarantees, something he was quick to point out.

"Notice I didn't say we're going to win. I said we'll be all right," he said.

The Steelers feel that their top-rated defense will be enough to slow Arizona's offense, which averaged 26 points per game during the regular season and is average 31 per game in the playoffs.

They also feel they can exploit a Cardinals defense that allows 26 points per game.

"Arizona's a team that you don't want to get into a shootout with, but at the same time, I feel confident that our defense can slow them down a little bit," Hartwig said. "After watching tape, the opportunities are definitely there for us to put some points on the board."
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:49 AM   #2
Burghfan58
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10872
Default Re: Hartwig: Steelers not concerned about Cardinals

Well after a pretty dull week for hype, Hartwig is spicing things up. I'd rather he do his talking after the game. Kick some redbird tail then talk.

Steelers can't win it every year. Some teams can't win it any year.
Burghfan58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:25 AM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Or maybe it's being tired of hearing for two straight weeks how the other team is going to light yours up when you've been shutting down top offenses all year. Hartwig didn't say anything that wasn't true.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:34 AM   #4
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Quote:
That mentality by the Steelers is one that permeates throughout the team.

This game now, IMO, comes down to the mentality that Tomlin brings to the team. The records and matchups throughout the season speak for themselves, this is our game to lose.

I want to see a new era in Steeler football, I want to see that bullish mentality. I want to see Tomlin's mentality permeate throughout the team.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:41 AM   #5
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

The Cards have been getting the majority of the hype these past weeks. Even the Steelers D has been an afterthought. The Steelers are vegas favorites, but the Cards are as I predicted, the sports media darling.

'Warner is awesome'
'Whiz knows the Steelers'
'How are the Steelers gonna stop Warner?'
'Fitzgerald will win MVP.'
'Cardinals Defense is playing better than Steelers Defense.' ~My favorite.
'Cardinals have a running game'
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:53 AM   #6
stlrz fan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10982

No problem with The confident talk. It was respectful and didn't come across as arrogant. Quiet tough is awesome. I agree they are probably pretty sick of hearing about the powerful Arizona O.
stlrz fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:56 AM   #7
Steelcitygal87
Banned

Member Number: 10583

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
The Cards have been getting the majority of the hype these past weeks. Even the Steelers D has been an afterthought. The Steelers are vegas favorites, but the Cards are as I predicted, the sports media darling.

'Warner is awesome'
'Whiz knows the Steelers'
'How are the Steelers gonna stop Warner?'
'Fitzgerald will win MVP.'
'Cardinals Defense is playing better than Steelers Defense.' ~My favorite.
'Cardinals have a running game'

Really? I have been watching ESPN all week and I think they have been very fair in their analysis of both teams. They are playing up the Card's strengths( offense..Kurt and Fitz especially) and the Steeler's strengths(defense, mobility of Ben out of the pocket..his talent for extending the play...and...how, if the game comes down to the 4th quarter, Ben is the man who can get the job done..etc.) So if anything, they have been singing the Steeler's praises a little more so than the Cards. I am basing my opinion on what ESPN has been saying..so I don't know about NFL Network or any other programs/shows.

Go Steelers!
Steelcitygal87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:15 AM   #8
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Ya know I have to agree with Hartwig. When the Cards play decent defenses they lay eggs. For instance look at the NFL title game. They damn near blew it. I really like our matchup this week with Heath. The Eagles TE had over 100 yards recieving and I think Tone will have 1 or 2 big plays. The media is hyping the Cards to a degree. I think Hartiwg just wanted people to know there was another offense in this game.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:16 AM   #9
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,872 Times in 936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Or maybe it's being tired of hearing for two straight weeks how the other team is going to light yours up when you've been shutting down top offenses all year. Hartwig didn't say anything that wasn't true.
Actually I think he is tired of hearing how the Steelers O line sucks and considering they handled the much better Ravens D line, 3 times this season.......he considers the Cardinals front 4 an easier task.

I agree, but it all comes down to if the Steelers can stop Warner or not.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:20 AM   #10
Franco32Harris
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelcitygal87 View Post
Really? I have been watching ESPN all week and I think they have been very fair in their analysis of both teams. They are playing up the Card's strengths( offense..Kurt and Fitz especially) and the Steeler's strengths(defense, mobility of Ben out of the pocket..his talent for extending the play...and...how, if the game comes down to the 4th quarter, Ben is the man who can get the job done..etc.) So if anything, they have been singing the Steeler's praises a little more so than the Cards. I am basing my opinion on what ESPN has been saying..so I don't know about NFL Network or any other programs/shows.

Go Steelers!
I don't get the same feeling I have been watching ESPN for the last two weeks and they usually talk about the amazing Warner story and will he reach the hall of fame and they continue to debate that. Then everyone just talks about how amazing Larry Fitzgerald I have only seen a couple of things about the Steelers but I continue to feel like the Cardinals are favored and it's frustrating.
Franco32Harris is offline   Reply With Quote