Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 12-31-2005, 07:09 PM   #21
Rush58
Starter

Member Number: 516
Default Re: ben a pro bowl alternate?

Shouldn't W/L count as a starter?
Rush58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 07:13 PM   #22
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,849 Times in 2,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStop85
I'm not saying necessarily that Ben didn't deserve to be a pro bowl alternate...I'm just telling you why he didn't get voted in. Four games is a big portion of the season when the final ballots are cast. If you ignore games played and just go straight off of stats, most of the alternates had slightly better TD/Int numbers and overwhelmingly better yardage (around 1,000 more). The point is that in order to argue Ben over the other alternates, you would have to assume how he would perform in the 4 games he missed. You can't do that...for all we know he might have thrown 10 Int's and 1 TD in that stretch. I know Ben was efficient while he was playing and I also know that yardage and TD's aren't everything but when you have 4 QB's all with similar stats except one that threw for 1,000 yards less than everyone else, who do you think is going to be the odd man out?
actually i didnt know if alternates have even been named. if so who are they? you make good points. but then again i feel hines ward should be in the pro bowl also. and c. hampton. the only one i hope isnt there again is bill cowher if it means going to a superbowl. i am one who enjoys watching the pro bowl and likes seeing as many steelers as possible.

i too am smart enough to realize peyton was awesome last year and brady sucked in the game. but it dont really mean crap when one is coming off a sb win and the other couldnt even make it to the afcc game. ben is still better than plummer, brees, and green.

in fact ben is one of the top 5 qb's in the afc in only his 2nd year. no pro bowl berth is needed to validate that.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 07:33 PM   #23
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
actually i didnt know if alternates have even been named. if so who are they? you make good points. but then again i feel hines ward should be in the pro bowl also. and c. hampton. the only one i hope isnt there again is bill cowher if it means going to a superbowl. i am one who enjoys watching the pro bowl and likes seeing as many steelers as possible.

i too am smart enough to realize peyton was awesome last year and brady sucked in the game. but it dont really mean crap when one is coming off a sb win and the other couldnt even make it to the afcc game. ben is still better than plummer, brees, and green.

in fact ben is one of the top 5 qb's in the afc in only his 2nd year. no pro bowl berth is needed to validate that.
Alternates were named at the same time as the starters. I'm not sure who the alternates were...I would assume Brees and Plummer. I'm not sure, though.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 07:44 PM   #24
Blitzburgh55
Starter

Member Number: 481

brees got hurt today

Cant Touch This
A New Year. A New Ring. A New Hand.
Blitzburgh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 09:10 PM   #25
Brady12
Team Captain

Member Number: 973

Lol, It's not about numbers, it's the Quarterbacks presence, and how well they can move around, and play under pressure, and get the ball to the right guy. Guys lik ePeyton Manning, who manages the ball tremendously, and sits calm in the pocket, Theres tom Brady who is a terrific QB in the 2 minute drill, and he also manages the game terrific. All Great QB's should be able to stay calm, and manage a game. Big Ben is simply not better than Trent Green, Drew Brees, or Jake Plummer.

BTW Brees is a First Alternate at QB
Brady12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 09:17 PM   #26
Rush58
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady12
Lol, It's not about numbers, it's the Quarterbacks presence, and how well they can move around, and play under pressure, and get the ball to the right guy. Guys lik ePeyton Manning, who manages the ball tremendously, and sits calm in the pocket, Theres tom Brady who is a terrific QB in the 2 minute drill, and he also manages the game terrific. All Great QB's should be able to stay calm, and manage a game. Big Ben is simply not better than Trent Green, Drew Brees, or Jake Plummer.

BTW Brees is a First Alternate at QB
You are totally wrong. Ben's awareness in the pocket is what seperates him from Brees and Green. The guy literally has eyes behind his back and he breaks more tackles than I've seen any qb besides old Steve McNair. Big Ben's numbers are higher when he moves around and gets contact. I can't count how many times Ben moves around and then throws for a 1st down. Ben only problem is going for the big play. Most, if not all, his interceptions came from the scramble on the right side.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:19 PM   #27
Brady12
Team Captain

... I didn't say anything about Ben.. At the end I just repeated myself from an earlier post lol.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:22 PM   #28
Rush58
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady12
... I didn't say anything about Ben.. At the end I just repeated myself from an earlier post lol.
But you did say Plummer and Green are better. lol
Old 12-31-2005, 10:44 PM   #29
Brady12
Team Captain

Well I do think they are... Maybe I'll say Ben is better in a few more years. I think they are anyways, all of you probably don't agree... Happy New Year Pittsburgh (In 15 minutes :D)
Old 01-01-2006, 01:12 AM   #30
bengalsfan21
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 420

I don't really think Ben would have surpassed 3200 yds
bengalsfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote