Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-30-2009, 07:13 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,682 Times in 2,896 Posts
Default Biggest Mythconceptions Going into the Game

no, i dont have a lithp... or an litp... or a lisp.

but here are 2 myths/misconceptions that need to be put to rest-

cardinals are the hottest team in the nfl.- so they won 3 playoff games in a row. big whoop. they mailed it in as soon as they clinched the division.

the steelers, on the other hand, have won 8 of their last 9 games. all but the browns have been against playoff calibur teams. on paper, the cardinals will be one of our easiest opponents in weeks

steelers havent faced a wr corps like the cardinals- in 2004 wayne, harrison, stokley not only each had a 1000 yds, but 10+ td's apiece. the next year we faced them twice and shut down the passing game in the playoffs, holding each receiver w/o a td and under 100 yds. this group also had dallas clark and a younger e. james.

this cardinals offense isnt as good, and this steelers defense is better. (quick- name our 3rd and 4th cb's from that squad).

feel free to list other myths going into this game.

Last edited by tony hipchest; 01-30-2009 at 07:30 PM. Reason: 8 of their last NINE games
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
Give It To Abercrombie
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8199
Default Re: Biggest Mythconceptions Going into the Game

Kurt Warner is a machine that can't be rattled. His kept his head on straight against Philly and just threw it quick. I seem to remember a bumbling dick fumbling on every other play because he was getting beaten time after time not all that long ago. And this just in, let's see Fitzgerald or Boldin go across the middle and get bleedin' smeared by Mr. Harrison coming the opposite way. I tend to think our linebackers play just a touch better than the Feebles 'backers do.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:17 PM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
feel free to list other myths going into this game.
How about Kurt Warner all of a sudden being the greatest QB to ever don pads and a helmet and Fitz being approximately 12 feet tall, bionic, and made of Kryptonite, for starters?
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:34 PM   #4
Cheppy
Banned

Member Number: 11928

One that's kinda driven me nuts is all the "experts" talking about how big Kurt Warner's ability to make plays in the face of a blitz is going to be. Don't the "experts" realize that this Steeler team has blitzed far less than in years past?

The big difference this season from a defensive standpoint has been the fact that the Steelers have both Woodley & Harrison starting on the outside & they've just been winning their matchups. When you think about it Woodley's contribution to this defense can't be praised enough. He's unquestionably made Harrison a better player & the two have wreaked havoc without Lebeau having to rush 6 on a consistent basis. And their dominace has had a direct effect in how well the secondary (& their #1 pass defense as a whole) has played all season.

I love Woodley.
Cheppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:56 PM   #5
SteelCityKing
Head Coach

Member Number: 10886

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
How about Kurt Warner all of a sudden being the greatest QB to ever don pads and a helmet and Fitz being approximately 12 feet tall, bionic, and made of Kryptonite, for starters?
i was going to say the same exact thing. it's like, yeah...we made it to 2 Super Bowls. won 1 and lost 1. now is his chance for redemption. WOW...breaking news...Kurt Warner is a QB still and he's a back up to a kitty cat.

also, the whole notion that the Arizona Cardinals are the "Cinderella Team" this year. WHO CARES!? they made it in and won out...guess what, the Steelers did it too. as a 6th seed and won their 5th title. it's NEVER been done before.

so, Cardinals fans, don't act like you are the coolest thing since pants with pockets, becase guess what...my pants don't have pockets and they are much cooler than you.

Last edited by HometownGal; 01-30-2009 at 09:31 PM. Reason: For God's sake - knock it off with the damned haha's in every damned post!!!! GROW UP!
SteelCityKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:58 PM   #6
VegasStlrFan
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 976

I think the "Wisenhunt knows Lebeau and that will have a big effect on the outcome" is a Myth. IMO, every team in the NFL knows and understands the zone blitz scenario and how to beat it (no pressure, no work). Its the players excution that makes the system work. Lebeau preps them, calls the D, and draws up the blitzes but, its the players athletic ability that makes it work. 90% of Lebeau's work is done before Sunday, it started when the players were drafted. There is a reason we picked Troy, Woodley, Timmons etc... they have great athletic ability that fits the scheme. Then there's the weeks and weeks of coaching the execution of the schemes. All that leads to Sunday when Lebeau unleashes the hounds.

Sure Wisenhut may get lucky and call the perfect play against a particular set once or twice, alot of teams have. Lebeau's tendencies are studied by every team, and you can bet any team would have a couple of stats guys doing probabilities for all situations going into the Bowl. It doesn't make Wisenhunt special.

Bottom line is this system is perfect for this group of athletes. Their talent is what makes it work, and is what makes them #1.
VegasStlrFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:09 PM   #7
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,669 Times in 1,757 Posts

The biggest myth is that the cards are the best team in the NFC. The best 9-7 team ever.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:24 PM   #8
Cheppy
Banned

Member Number: 11928

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
The biggest myth is that the cards are the best team in the NFC. The best 9-7 team ever.
They are the best team in the NFC. Warner never turned the ball over 6 times in a playoff game. They shut down the #1 rushing offense in the league & beat the Eagles straight-up. To say they're not the best team in the conference, or worse yet, not deserving to be in the Super Bowl is incredibly dumb.

With that said, F the Cardinals. I'm looking for Clark to deliver a hammer blow on Fitzgerald at some point during the game.

I've been watching the complete history of the Pittsburgh Steelers (including all supplementals) like my life depended on it. I'm getting primed
Cheppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:11 PM   #9
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

How about the Steelers won't be able to touch Warner because he has such a quick release and knows how to read blitzes and where everybody is coming from. Not that it matters though because on Sunday night these myths get squashed like little bugs by the best NFL defense in 2008.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:21 PM   #10
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,669 Times in 1,757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheppy View Post
They are the best team in the NFC. Warner never turned the ball over 6 times in a playoff game. They shut down the #1 rushing offense in the league & beat the Eagles straight-up. To say they're not the best team in the conference, or worse yet, not deserving to be in the Super Bowl is incredibly dumb.

With that said, F the Cardinals. I'm looking for Clark to deliver a hammer blow on Fitzgerald at some point during the game.

I've been watching the complete history of the Pittsburgh Steelers (including all supplementals) like my life depended on it. I'm getting primed
Where's that sarcasm smiley at.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote