Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-31-2009, 12:40 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Left out at left tackle?

Left out at left tackle?
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...s_609645.html#
By Kevin Gorman
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, January 31, 2009

TAMPA, Fla. - After Super Bowl XLIII, the Steelers will have to decide whether to bring back the left tackle with a bad back or make a long-term commitment to the one tagged as a transition player.

Where Marvel Smith said this week that he would "love to finish up playing in Pittsburgh," his health is an issue after he was placed on injured reserve in late December when his back acted up for the second consecutive season.

Max Starks, meantime, signed a transition tender only to be a backup to right tackle Willie Colon until Smith was sidelined. Now, Starks says, his preference is "to go where I'm wanted and needed."

With both Smith and Starks unrestricted free agents, the Steelers have yet to determine if they are going to sign one or the other or go in a different direction. There's no question, however, that the team needs someone to protect Ben Roethlisberger's blind side.

"Obviously, this is a pretty good team, and we're going to want to keep it together," Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert said. "What combination of that I can't say at this point because we haven't sat down as a staff. You're not going to be able to keep everybody. We'd love to but, realistically, we probably won't be able to keep everybody.

"The losses will be minimal, and the replacements will be capable."

The 38th pick of the 2000 draft and a '05 Pro Bowl pick, Smith's marketability took a hit by his bothersome back. Not to mention that Smith turns 31 in August, and the Steelers elected not to sign five-time All-Pro guard Alan Faneca to a long-term contract at the same age last year.

"I feel wherever I go, I'll have the opportunity to play," Smith said. "I started my career here in Pittsburgh. I'm not real big on change, really. I'd love to finish what I started. The whole time I've been here, we've had a good team. It's a strong foundation, and I believe I'm a big part of it, too.

"I'm looking forward to finding out."

Smith said his recovery is ahead of schedule and believes his return, coupled with right guard Kendall Simmons (Achilles), could solidify a shaky offensive line that features four new starters.

"Next year, we both come back," Smith said, "and it'll be like we've got two first-round picks back on the offensive line."

Then again, there's no guarantee either one will make a full recovery or return to their previous form. Starks was stunned when the Steelers offered a one-year, $6.9 million tender to avoid losing him, only to serve as a backup.

"It's hard to say, because anything can happen. It's just a matter of what the plans are, and the Rooneys never give you a read," Starks said of the team's owners. "I didn't know I was transitioned until the day it happened. I had no indication. The Rooneys are very private individuals. They won't tell you anything until the time is right."

One factor favoring Starks is that he just turned 27 on Jan. 10 and has shown he can play left tackle for a Super Bowl team.

"I guess we'll see what happens in the upcoming month about free agency," Starks said. "That is a big deal with this new market. I'm kind of looking forward to seeing what happens, but I want to hold a sticky Lombardi Trophy first."

Kevin Gorman can be reached at kgorman@tribweb.com or 412-320-7812.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:05 AM   #2
ben7
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 9960
Default Re: Left out at left tackle?

Of Colon, Starks or Smith.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:13 AM   #3
silverbackattack
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 11882

I know I've been hit here before about this but there is no doubt in my mind that Colon has GOT TO GO. And I don't mean Latrobe.
silverbackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:14 AM   #4
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

I see Smith gone. Starks gets the position. Colon will have to fight next year with a first round pick (I hope, but not likely).
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:20 AM   #5
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,231 Times in 1,378 Posts

Quote:
"Next year, we both come back," Smith said, "and it'll be like we've got two first-round picks back on the offensive line."

Quote:
"The losses will be minimal, and the replacements will be capable."
translatiom - thier not all that....see ya.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:18 AM   #6
steelerdave1969
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12338

Where Marvel Smith said this week that he would "love to finish up playing in Pittsburgh," his health is an issue after he was placed on injured reserve in late December when his back acted up for the second consecutive season.

I really think that Marvel Smith has played his last game as a Steelers already. His back has cost the Steelers alot of money the last 2 seasons pretty much for nothing in return.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:59 AM   #7
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,063 Times in 945 Posts

Wow. Smith, Simmons, Colon, etc. Who knows how they'll be next year. I really hope we do something in FA and take a FEW lineman in the draft......and just imagine what we could get if we traded Ben!...........

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:06 AM   #8
Give It To Abercrombie
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8199

Realistically I think we will sign Starks for LT. Smith will leave. Colon will be replaced by either Hills, a new draft pick or a medium free agent signing. Colon will become a back-up "who can play multiple positions on the line." If there's only one positional change in the O-line for next year, I think it should be Colon. Please.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:20 AM   #9
Hapa
Banned

Member Number: 8230

Depends on what their agents say. I just hope the same guys stay so they can gel with the group.
Hapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:20 AM   #10
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678

Poor Max Starks, sounds like his feelings are hurt.
He should be sending Ben and thankyou card for taking it up the ass every game and taking the blame for every sack. I do not think there is ONE QB in the league who would've done that.
The manning girls would've publically did it every game and have done, McChoke would've, Warner does it now etc etc.

If he thinks after the performance they have had this year the pastures are greener with more than 6.9mill, cya. The only place he will get that i snon playoff teams, so he better respect the fact he has one last opp here, lol.

Colon has got to go, at least help him out and get his hearing checked because he has no clue about the word hike. Stapleton is about as worthless too.
BUT we can not patch this again,. If Mavel can come back, I bet you get him at a discount. I would bring Runyan in as well. The guy is a rock and plays through every injury. and is probably still better than anyone we have. Being planted in PA for the last 8 years, he would welcome that change as the Eagles are unlikely to sign him.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote