Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-31-2009, 12:42 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Rooney: NFL without salary cap possible

Rooney: NFL without salary cap possible
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...s_609676.html#

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, January 31, 2009

TAMPA, Fla. - Steelers chairman Dan Rooney hopes that the owners and players will reach a labor agreement before the 2010 season.

But Rooney said there is a "definite possibility" that a chasm between the two sides could eventually lead to the small-market Steelers having to compete in a league without spending limits.

The players and owners remain far apart on a new collective bargaining agreement, and commissioner Roger Goodell dismissed a study released by the NFL Players Association that said the league is awash in money.

"There is a lot of fiction in that report," Goodell said Thursday of the study that claims NFL owners made an average of almost $25 million last season.

If a new collective bargaining agreement isn't reached before the end of next season, the 2010 season will be played without a salary cap. If that happens, the NFLPA has said it will never agree to another deal that has a salary cap.

The two sides can't engage in any serious negotiations until the NFLPA settles on a successor to former union boss Gene Upshaw, who died in August. The NFLPA is expected to elect a new executive director in March.

"As the commissioner said, we'll work with that person, and hopefully it is someone that is workable and is looking at the game the way Gene Upshaw did," Rooney said. "Unless we get people to sit down and be reasonable and work things out, anything can happen."

Unhappy with a deal that gives the players roughly 60 percent of gross revenues, the owners in May voided the final two years of the collective bargaining agreement. That could lead to a lockout in 2011.

The NFLPA maintained it is willing to work toward a new agreement but remained firm that it will not make the concessions the owners are seeking.

An NFLPA-commissioned study found that teams averaged $24.7 million in profits last season, and the value of NFL franchises has grown from $288 million to a little more than $1 billion in the past 10 years.

"The revenue pie has continued to grow, and the players see no reason why their slice of the pie should be any smaller," NFLPA interim executive director Richard Berthelsen said.

Goodell called the NFLPA figures regarding owners' profits last year "completely inaccurate."

Berthelsen said the players have amassed more than $200 million in an emergency fund in the event of a lockout.

"This is a good thing we've got going between the players and owners," said new NFLPA president Kevin Mawae, who plays center for the Tennessee Titans. "But players understand the implications of what could happen, and I believe we'll stand together, because without the players, there is no NFL. Hopefully we won't have to get to that point."

The league has enjoyed labor peace since 1987, and Rooney said it is too early to fret about a work stoppage or the potential loss of the salary cap.

He added that most deals, in any negotiations, don't get done until right before a deadline.

"We have to get to the (bargaining) table," Rooney said.

"I am optimistic that we're going to be able to sit down with the union and reach an agreement," Goodell said.

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:36 AM   #2
Steeldude
Living Legend

Default Re: Rooney: NFL without salary cap possible[

owners have to play hardball. let the players strike if they want. i have no problem with every team starting over with new players.

if these players want the kind of money the owners make then go buy a team and stop whining.

Quote:
Berthelsen said the players have amassed more than $200 million in an emergency fund in the event of a lockout
and that is what individual contracts will look like without a salary cap.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:44 AM   #3
jdsdaguy
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 6102

without a salary cap, the cowboys might actually make it to the big one.....NOOOT!!!!
jdsdaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:43 AM   #4
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396

Looks like this might get ugly. But I agree...these guys are really getting greedy now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines Ward
What are you going to say, I was too rough?
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:17 PM   #5
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292
Default Re: Rooney: NFL without salary cap possible

Well considering Goodell is in charge I am not holding my breath on a deal getting done.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:37 PM   #6
VegasStlrFan
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 976

I don't get the Steelers are a small market team. I understand they look at the Pittsburgh area, but I don't see another team with the following like the Steeler Nation. There are only 32 cities with teams (less if you look at the Giants/Jets and Raiders/49ers drawing from the same population base). There is a lot of other country out there. Steeler market is nationwide IMO.
VegasStlrFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:44 PM   #7
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasStlrFan View Post
I don't get the Steelers are a small market team. I understand they look at the Pittsburgh area, but I don't see another team with the following like the Steeler Nation. There are only 32 cities with teams (less if you look at the Giants/Jets and Raiders/49ers drawing from the same population base). There is a lot of other country out there. Steeler market is nationwide IMO.
Yes, but the Rooneys are still multimillionaires in an atmosphere (NFL team ownership) that has become a billionaire's game. On top of that, they are taking on a lot of debt by the recent restructuring of ownership of the team. A NFL without a salary cap puts the Rooneys at a HUGE disadvantage.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:53 PM   #8
VegasStlrFan
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 976

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Yes, but the Rooneys are still multimillionaires in an atmosphere (NFL team ownership) that has become a billionaire's game. On top of that, they are taking on a lot of debt by the recent restructuring of ownership of the team. A NFL without a salary cap puts the Rooneys at a HUGE disadvantage.
Can't argue with you on that. Steeler Nation just seems larger than life when you see games outside the Steel City. You expect it in the home town but It's pretty dam impressive on the road.
VegasStlrFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:07 PM   #9
CanadianSteel
Team Captain

Member Number: 6555

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Totally agree here as well.... and if there was no salary cap hopefull the Steelers could come up with something to take advantage of their nation wide fan base... its the only thing that could keep them with the big revenue teams.... I mean soemthing as extreme as selling Steeler game feeds to Steeler fans at a cost to allow them to compete.... a bit extreme I realize but soemthing along those lines to say F you to the Jerry Jones and Krafts in the leaugue...

Ok done venting now...
CanadianSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:45 PM   #10
Burghfan58
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10872

Another reason why the Steelers need to win this one. Dont let the opportunity slip away.

Steelers can't win it every year. Some teams can't win it any year.
Burghfan58 is offline   Reply With Quote