Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-01-2009, 09:45 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Rapid Reaction: Steelers 27, Cardinals 23

Rapid Reaction: Steelers 27, Cardinals 23
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation...er%20bowl%20rr
February 1, 2009 10:21 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker

TAMPA, Fla. -- The Pittsburgh Steelers got their six titles -- the hard way.

Pittsburgh needed a last-minute drive and some late heroics from quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and receiver Santonio Holmes to seal a 27-23 victory over the Arizona Cardinals in Super Bowl XLIII. Roethlisberger and Holmes connected almost exclusively on the final game-winning drive, which included the final touchdown.

Roethlisberger erased doubts that he couldn't perform on the big stage after producing the final drive. He struggled in his first Super Bowl appearance but now has two rings at the age of 26. Pittsburgh coach Mike Tomlin, 36, also became the youngest coach to win a Super Bowl, doing it in just his second season.

The Steelers did not enter the 2008 season as the Super Bowl favorite but after thriving despite the NFL's toughest schedule and running through the postseason, it was clear they were the best and most battle tested team in the league.

The win marks the second Super Bowl win in four seasons for the Steelers. With very few big free agents this offseason, Pittsburgh will bring back most of its key players for a chance to defend the title.

Super Bowl 43, Arizona Cardinals, Pittsburgh Steelers, Super Bowl RR, Santonio Holmes, Ben Roethlisberger

Read comments or leave a comment

Rapid Reaction: Steelers 27, Cardinals 23

February 1, 2009 10:16 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando

TAMPA, Fla. -- The Cardinals ran out of time, not heart, and this Super Bowl defeat will hurt even more as a result.

Kurt Warner and Larry Fitzgerald cemented their legacies even in defeat. They seemingly had won the game, only to watch Ben Roethlisberger and Santonio Holmes win it back.

Some said Warner needed a victory to emerge from this game with Hall of Fame credentials. He played like a Hall of Famer when it counted in this game, minus that interception return for a touchdown right before halftime.

Earlier in the week, Warner admitted he still agonized over the Rams' Super Bowl loss to the Patriots following the 2001 season. That game has some unwelcome competition after this one.

Another unwelcome sidelight, at least for the NFL, is that we're sure to hear plenty about the officiating after this one.

Referee Terry McAulay arguably should have ejected the Steelers' James Harrison after punching and decking Aaron Francisco. And on the final play, replay official Bob McGrath should have issued a challenge just to be sure Warner's arm wasn't moving forward on the game-clinching forced fumble.

Arizona Cardinals, Pittsburgh Steelers, Super Bowl 43, Super Bowl RR, Kurt Warner, Larry Fitzgerald, Ben Roethlisberger, Santonio Holmes, Rapid Reaction

Read comments or leave a comment
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:30 PM   #2
I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 10606
Default Re: Rapid Reaction: Steelers 27, Cardinals 23

Cry me a river. Ben's touchdown was also a touchdown and the holding in the endzone thing was complete bullshit!
Old 02-02-2009, 12:09 AM   #3
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,850 Times in 1,336 Posts

Harrison held the guy down after he cut blocked him. Sure he gave him a shot on the top of the shoulder pads.....but not any worse than was the Cards Adrian Wilson did taking a swing at Ward in the 1st quarter.

When francisco got face up, Harrison hit him with an open hand to the breastplate of his pads, just like a block. I dont see how that is an ejectable offense.......it happens hundreds of times a game.

These dummies are just reacting over what John Madden said and Madden is going senile.

In SBXL Madden clearly didnt see the hold on the Seahawks OT Locklear and said so, but when NFL director of officials Mike Pereria reviewed it on NFL network........it was clearly an arm across the throat of Clark Haggans and a hold.

The Crydinals fans need to just go home and lose like men instead of spoiled brats that had a good 3 week run.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:42 AM   #4
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

In SBXL Madden clearly didnt see the hold on the Seahawks OT Locklear and said so, but when NFL director of officials Mike Pereria reviewed it on NFL network........it was clearly an arm across the throat of Clark Haggans and a hold.
And Locklear wasn't the only one holding on that play. Another seabag had a fistful of Hampton's jersey.

Harrison committed a stupid penalty but the ref called it right.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:09 AM   #5
I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 10606

Yeah, that penalty was stupid. That is why he didn't get my MVP vote, he lost his cool.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:50 AM   #6
BrandonCarr39
Team Captain

Member Number: 7458

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Harrison held the guy down after he cut blocked him. Sure he gave him a shot on the top of the shoulder pads.....but not any worse than was the Cards Adrian Wilson did taking a swing at Ward in the 1st quarter.

When francisco got face up, Harrison hit him with an open hand to the breastplate of his pads, just like a block. I dont see how that is an ejectable offense.......it happens hundreds of times a game.

These dummies are just reacting over what John Madden said and Madden is going senile.

The Crydinals fans need to just go home and lose like men instead of spoiled brats that had a good 3 week run.
I like Madden's commentating b/c he's very fair, and shows no homerism towards anyone. However-he HATES the officials, period, which is why he tends to have alot of knee jerk reactions over calls that's iffy in his eyes.
BrandonCarr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:56 AM   #7
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,960 Times in 1,677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNewman41 View Post
I like Madden's commentating b/c he's very fair, and shows no homerism towards anyone. However-he HATES the officials, period, which is why he tends to have alot of knee jerk reactions over calls that's iffy in his eyes.
oh please.....madden hates the steelers !!! he's still whining about the immaculent reception...

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:15 AM   #8
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold View Post
Yeah, that penalty was stupid. That is why he didn't get my MVP vote, he lost his cool.
it was stupid.. but it was kind of like he took a whole season of getting choked and punched under his face mask out on that guy. he held his composure all season long after we all saw him get mauled time after time by blockers and never get any calls.

harrison was a huge part of the game for us.. between the int and drawing the penalties, but holmes was clutch for us and deserved the mvp honors. even the catch he made that got called back as a safety was unreal. nobody will talk about that catch since it was overturned, but holmes was in a zone tonight.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote