Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-02-2009, 05:59 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers face free agency in offseason

Steelers face free agency in offseason
http://www.timesonline.com/articles/...5427087378.txt
By Mike Bires, Times Sports Staff

TAMPA, Fla. — For the Steelers, the road toward Super Bowl XLIV will start before they know it.

Free-agency begins Feb. 27, and the Steelers have several unrestricted free agents they must decide on.

On the offensive line, there are two Super Bowl starters — left tackle Max Starks and left guard Chris Kemoeatu — who are UFAs.

So are backup tackle Trai Essex and Marvel Smith, who was starting before back spasms ended his season after five games.

“This business is a business,” said Starks, who was a $6.895 million backup earlier this year before stepping in for Smith.

“At the end of the day, it is a sport that we love, you play it as a child growing up and you hope to one day be here (again in Pittsburgh), but it is a business.

“We will have to see what’s going to come up in the upcoming month about free agency.”

Other prominent unrestricted free agents are starting cornerback Bryant McFadden and backup wide receiver Nate Washington.

Because quality corners are a premium, McFadden could attract lucrative offers on the open market. And with rookie wide receiver Limas Sweed, a second-round draft pick, expected to play more next year, Washington may find that he may get better offers elsewhere.

Other less prominent UFAs include reserve quarterbacks Byron Leftwich and Charlie Batch.

In addition, the Steelers must decide what to do with veteran inside linebacker Larry Foote, who’s due to make close to $3 million next year. That’s a lot of money for someone who’ll probably be backing up Lawrence Timmons, a first-round pick in the 2007 Draft.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:18 AM   #2
mopit55
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2035
Default Re: Steelers face free agency in offseason

steelers must keep max starks and bryant mcfadden.there a lot of offensive linemen in the draft with the first round they can draft a very good player.
mopit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:08 AM   #3
FacemeIke
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11185

I think Washington is gone. He deserves to be a 1 or 2 somewhere. Foote is gone also. We'll resign Starks and McFadden. I think we should also resign Smith if we can get him at a decent price. His injury problems are the only thing that scare me about him.
FacemeIke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:20 AM   #4
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

We need to keep Starks and Kemoeatu. I think B-Mac is gone since Gay played good during the season. And Nate is getting better every year but will probably get a Randle El kinda deal from someone.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:45 AM   #5
SlackerCSB
Water Boy

Member Number: 12055

Thanks for posting this. I was just going to get on here and ask the same thing.

I'd like to see them re-sign Foote, but as a back-up. Timmons has proven he was worth that #1 pick.

We probably can't afford to keep Washington, but unless Sweed does a 180, we'll need to find a #3 and #4 wide receiver.

Losing McFadden would hurt, but we always seem to find replacements in the secondary.

Screw the O-Line, we can replace them all in the draft.
SlackerCSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:29 AM   #6
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678

O-line should be shown the door. they won't of course but I think we need a major overhaul and upgrade there. Some good patches are out there for a couple years to, Runyan is local to PA and would be a great fit.

Washington, although I like Nate, I'm just not willing to spend 3mill of Rooneys money on him, lol..

Mcfadden, again, love the guy, buy a mix of gay and carter may work? If not I think b level position players would love to come here, without paying top dollar.

Timmons will far exceed anything Foote brings to the table. Not dimenishing Footes play, but Timmons has far exceeded Foote.

Steelers need to lock up Harrision and Woodley now. I think they have only one year left???
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:17 AM   #7
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

I would like to resign McFadden and Washington. As far as I am concerned Starks, Kemo, Smith and Foote can be shown the door. I also would still like to maybe pick up 1 or 2 OL FA players in the off season. Winning the super bowl makes this to be a great off season, but there are quite a few decisions to be made personnel wise. Hopefully Colbert and Tomlin continue to make good decisions and make the team even stronger.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:22 AM   #8
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,620 Times in 811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtain_of_Steel View Post
O-line should be shown the door. they won't of course but I think we need a major overhaul and upgrade there. Some good patches are out there for a couple years to, Runyan is local to PA and would be a great fit.

Washington, although I like Nate, I'm just not willing to spend 3mill of Rooneys money on him, lol..

Mcfadden, again, love the guy, buy a mix of gay and carter may work? If not I think b level position players would love to come here, without paying top dollar.

Timmons will far exceed anything Foote brings to the table. Not dimenishing Footes play, but Timmons has far exceeded Foote.

Steelers need to lock up Harrision and Woodley now. I think they have only one year left???
John Runyan is a 13 year veteran and a RT only. I dont think we need a OLD right tackle and he may retire anyways.

McFadden will be the Steelers highest priority. Carter is a safety, so he isnt gonna replace him. With the likes of Dunta Robinson, Ron Bartell, Namdi Asomgua, DeAngelo Hall on the free agent CB Market......I think we will resign McFadden.

Foote may be asked to restructure, or even possibly be traded before the draft for about a 5th rounder so that Timmons can start. Harrison has 1 more year on his contract and Woodley has 2 years left.

I honestly think the Steelers will be better off to let Kemo and Starks walk, try to extend Smith (if healthy) or sign another veteran LT for 3 seasons (Tra Thomas or John StClair) while they prepare their LT of the future from this year's draft(William Beatty, Eben Britton or Michael Oher).
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:20 AM   #9
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Starks is a must. An absolute Must Sign.

Honestly though...I'm still celebrating. I'll worry about FA when it happens.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:43 AM   #10
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Smith: Gone
Keep: Essex and Kemo
Starks? Tough call...he has now started on two SB winning teams at two different positions. I'm curious as to what the Steelers do here.
Keep Washington if it's reasonable money.
Keep BMac for depth.
Foote: Gone

We COULD get out of this years FA situation in decent shape relative to other SB winning teams.