Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-02-2009, 06:13 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Cards fall just short in Super Bowl (Arizona Republic)

Cards fall just short in Super Bowl

352 comments by Kent Somers - Feb. 1, 2009 11:35 PM
The Arizona Republic
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/card...spt-cards.html

TAMPA

The ball hung in the air for what seemed like 61 years, spinning with the potential to break the Cardinals' hearts immediately and haunt their dreams forever.

And that's exactly what it did. The pass landed in the hands of Pittsburgh receiver Santonio Holmes for a 6-yard touchdown with 35 seconds left, giving the Steelers a 27-23 victory in Super Bowl XLIII on Sunday at Raymond James Stadium.

The Cardinals, who haven't won an NFL title since 1947, were within a fingertip, a couple of toes and a few seconds of pulling off what seemed inconceivable a month ago when they entered the playoffs.

The improbability of their postseason run makes losing no easier to take.

"It was like getting a chair pulled out from under you," receiver Larry Fitzgerald said. "It just hurts to be able to get so close and fall short of your ultimate goal."

The Cardinals had one last, long shot after Holmes' touchdown, but officials ruled that quarterback Kurt Warner fumbled with five seconds left.

Replay officials didn't take another look to see if Warner's arm was moving forward, which would have made it an incomplete pass and given the Cardinals one more play.

"I would have liked to have seen it replayed, because it looked like Kurt was throwing the ball," coach Ken Whisenhunt said.

Instead, the Steelers started enjoying the confetti shower and the presentation of the Lombardi Trophy.

"Let's face it, Arizona is a great team," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "This is what the Super Bowl is supposed to be about."

It was the Steelers' sixth Super Bowl championship, an NFL record, and it came against a team playing in the game for the first time.

The Cardinals needed a miracle rally because of mistakes made earlier in the game. They were called for 11 penalties for 106 yards. And in the second quarter, the Cardinals turned a scoring opportunity from the Steelers 1 into the longest touchdown in Super Bowl history.

The Cardinals, trailing 10-7, had a first down at the 1 with 18 seconds left in the half and no timeouts. That forced them to pass, and Warner tried to throw a quick slant to receiver Anquan Boldin.

But linebacker James Harrison read the play immediately, stepped in front of Boldin for the interception and raced down the Cardinals sideline for the 100-yard interception return, the longest play in Super Bowl history.

"I couldn't see him (Harrison) around our linemen and the pressure," Warner said. "I thought I had Anquan for a second, but he jumped in there and made a play."

Down 20-7 entering the fourth quarter, the Cardinals nearly wrote the perfect ending to a storybook playoff run.

They scored 16 points in the fourth quarter, almost pulling off the biggest comeback in Super Bowl history.

Using a no-huddle offense, the Cardinals scored two touchdowns in the fourth quarter, the last one giving them a 23-20 lead with 2:37 remaining.

"There was too much time on the clock," Whisenhunt said, when asked what he was thinking when Fitzgerald scored on the 64-yard pass from Warner. "I felt maybe we could at least hold them to a field goal and maybe go to overtime."

Fitzgerald, who had one catch through the third quarter, finished with seven for 127 yards and two touchdowns. Warner passed for 377 yards and three touchdowns.

The Cardinals' defense had shut down the Steelers in the fourth quarter, pressuring quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and forcing a safety that contributed to the Cardinals' 16-point run.

But they couldn't control Roethlisberger and Holmes at the most crucial time. Holmes, the game's Most Valuable Player, busted a curl pattern for a 38-yard gain, and his final touchdown reception was one for the ages.

"The first read was the running back in the flat but he wasn't open," Roethlisberger said. "Then I was going to bang it to Hines (Ward) real quick, but someone was closing on him. So I just kind of looked left and saw 'Tone' in the corner."

Roethlisberger's pass sailed over the outstretched fingers of cornerback Ralph Brown. Two other Cardinals in the area couldn't get to Holmes in time. He managed to put the tips of his shoes down inbounds for the score.

Holmes finished with 131 yards on nine catches, none better than the last.

"One hundred percent I knew I had my feet down," Holmes said. "I never left the ground once I extended my hands. I stood up on my toes so I wouldn't get pushed out of bounds."

There was no feeling of a moral victory.

"We didn't make the plays we needed to seal the game up," Cardinals defensive tackle Darnell Dockett said. "I'm never going to be a sore loser. They deserved to win and made plays, and that's what it's all about."

Key performer

Quarterback Kurt Warner took a beating, but he'll be haunted by one pass he threw under no pressure at all. James Harrison returned the interception 100 yards for a touchdown as time expired in the first half, giving the Steelers a 17-7 lead at halftime.

Thumbs up

Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt was 2 for 2 on challenges.

Thumbs down

The Cardinals offense, for James Harrison's 100-yard interception return.

Injury report

LB/DE Travis LaBoy played with a torn biceps tendon. WR Anquan Boldin left briefly in the third quarter with a left-shoulder injury. He missed just two plays.

Did you notice?

The Cardinals used tight end Leonard Pope as a slot receiver throughout the game. It was a four-receiver look, but Pope stayed in the game instead of receiver Jerheme Urban serving in that role.

View from the press box

A miraculous season came to an inglorious end. Maybe after the pain of losing Super Bowl XLIII subsides, the Cardinals will take pride in what they accomplished this year. The outcome of the game shouldn't completely obscure the accomplishments this team made this season.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:18 AM   #2
Steelcitygal87
Banned

Member Number: 10583
Default Re: Cards fall just short in Super Bowl (Arizona Repbulic)

The Cardinal's run defense was amazing. They stuffed us.
Steelcitygal87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:32 AM   #3
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Did they stuff us or do we need a better run blocking O line and a power back?
Old 02-02-2009, 06:35 AM   #4
Milkman
Starter

Member Number: 1055

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
I agree with you on that mS.

Us against the world...STILL!
Bring it suckas!
Milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:41 AM   #5
Steelcitygal87
Banned

Quote:
Yes, I agree the O-line needs help...but we ran the ball very well against the Chargers, so it is not as if our O-line is incapable of opening up holes. Probably most fans would say the Chargers had a better D than the Cards did(going by how the Cards D was getting ripped, on this board, over the past few weeks). So...imho....the Cards D did a very good job...they closed gaps...and got good penetration...we had nothing up the middle.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:03 AM   #6
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Good point. However it seemed to me that the Cards came out determined to stuff the run. Whiz decided he would make Big Ben be the one to beat the Cardnials.

Perhaps Whiz's two year old "inside" knowledge played him false.

He may have assumed at some level that Big Ben would preform as he did in the last Super Bowl and would not be able to pass to win.

If so he knows better now and he got the Cards royally burned.

Well I have to go off to work. Today should be interesting since I live in Arizona. I'm not going to wear Steeler colors today out of deference to my coworker 's feelings.

Had we lost I would of worn my colors but the Cards played well and I don't want to rub salt in their wounds.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:22 AM   #7
Steelcitygal87
Banned

Quote:
Good point. However it seemed to me that the Cards came out determined to stuff the run. Whiz decided he would make Big Ben be the one to beat the Cardnials.

Perhaps Whiz's two year old "inside" knowledge played him false.

He may have assumed at some level that Big Ben would preform as he did in the last Super Bowl and would not be able to pass to win.

If so he knows better now and he got the Cards royally burned.

Well I have to go off to work. Today should be interesting since I live in Arizona. I'm not going to wear Steeler colors today out of deference to my coworker 's feelings.

Had we lost I would of worn my colors but the Cards played well and I don't want to rub salt in their wounds.

Yes, it did seem to me as well, that their main focus was not letting our running game get going. They figured it is the Steeler mentality to start out by trying to establish the run, and they wanted to shut that down... making us one dimensional . Maybe, to a certain degree, Whiz did underestimate Ben.. but when it comes down to it....he studied enough film to know that Ben never gives up trying to make plays( and more often than not.. succeeds). His mindset could have been one of...getting in Ben's face with the blitz making him hurry his throws...forcing turnovers. I tend to lean more toward...Whiz knows if we get our running game going we chew up a LOT of the clock... and his defense is out on the field, wearing down. The Cardinals hung in there...they were down 20-7 in the 3rd quarter. Remember, they were up big time at the half against the Eagles and gave up that lead, only to regain it again and win the game. So they are a scrappy bunch.

Anyways, I just think their defense played a better game than most people thought they would.

Have a good day at work :) And I think that is very commendable of you to take your co-workers feelings into consideration.

Last edited by Steelcitygal87; 02-02-2009 at 07:32 AM.