Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Art Gallery

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-02-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
Benzbrother
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12117
Default Anybody do Custom Mcfarlanes?

I'm thinking about trying it out myself and was wondering if there were any experienced guys in here who could maybe point me in the right direction on how to get started? Like what kind of supplies and where to get them? I'm really kinda goin at this blind, but think it would be a really neat thing to try out. I appreciate it guys!

GO STEELERS!!!!!

Sig created by 86WARD-- thanks!
Benzbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:43 PM   #2
Hobbes
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 4679
Default Re: Anybody do Custom Mcfarlanes?

Here are acouple of links that I found awhile back to get you started:

http://www.sportslizard.com/customs.php

http://www.customsbyjomo.com/tips.html

If you built plastic models before that experience helps alot. I've done some NASCAR figures (Earnhardt jr & sr, Kasey Kane, Clint Bowyer) I'm going to try my hand at some Steelers next. Good luck!
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:10 PM   #3
Benzbrother
Bench Warmer

Awesome, thanks a lot! I'm sure my first one(s) won't be too pretty...but it seems like a neat hobby to try out

Old 02-02-2009, 10:31 PM   #4
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401

Now if there is a Steelers one like this on 6" figures, boy I'd even sell my kidney to purchase it.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:51 PM   #5
Benzbrother
Bench Warmer

lol I would honestly like to try customizing a Fitz Mcfarlane into a PITT uniform...but he is pretty expensive so I think I'll experiment a little before I dive into that one lol

Old 02-03-2009, 11:50 AM   #6
Vincent
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10927

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzbrother View Post
I'm thinking about trying it out myself and was wondering if there were any experienced guys in here who could maybe point me in the right direction on how to get started? Like what kind of supplies and where to get them? I'm really kinda goin at this blind, but think it would be a really neat thing to try out. I appreciate it guys!

GO STEELERS!!!!!
I started around Christmas. It's a great hobby. Just pin your ears back and go for it.

So far I've done a Ben and Silverback throwback, Dirt, Bettis throwback (96), Bradshaw, Lake, Malone, Foster 33 throwback, Farrior, Faneca, Ernie Stautner, Blount, Dwight White and Jack Ham.

Attached is part of the collection. http://forums.steelersfever.com/show...01&postcount=1 I have so many customs and factory Steelers now I need to build a stage.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by Vincent; 02-20-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:53 AM   #7
Vincent
Team President
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersMongol View Post
Now if there is a Steelers one like this on 6" figures, boy I'd even sell my kidney to purchase it.

I doubt that Allstar would extract a kidney, but he'd do a fine job on that project for you.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,

Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-03-2009, 12:09 PM   #8
Benzbrother
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
I started around Christmas. It's a great hobby. Just pin your ears back and go for it.

So far I've done a Ben and Silverback throwback, Dirt, Bettis throwback (96), Bradshaw, Lake, Malone, Foster 33 throwback, Farrior, Faneca, Ernie Stautner, Blount, Dwight White and Jack Ham.

Attached is part of the collection. http://forums.steelersfever.com/show...01&postcount=1 I have so many customs and factory Steelers now I need to build a stage.
Thats pretty awesome man, you've gotten a lot done in only a month! How long does the average one take you? And what would you say the hardest part is? I'm finishing up school right now so I'll probably only have weekends to work on them, but I would really like to try it

Old 02-03-2009, 02:43 PM   #9
Vincent
Team President
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzbrother View Post
Thats pretty awesome man, you've gotten a lot done in only a month! How long does the average one take you? And what would you say the hardest part is? I'm finishing up school right now so I'll probably only have weekends to work on them, but I would really like to try it
My process is sort of "assembly line" at this point.

I decided on a dozen plus target subjects and went about getting the subject figures to do them. Lucked out big time by getting a huge box of parts on EBay. A guy who had done "hundreds" was burnt out and sold off a box that included several completed figures and parts for about 20 or so figures. I have completed 6 figures totally from parts to this point and the remaining 7 from subjects or combinations.

I got most of the abstract info from Jomo's downloads. Allstar gave me some valuable advice too.

So, the assembly line is this...

Decide who you want to do and get as many pics off the net as you need to execute the details.

Disassemble whole subjects by soaking in very hot water and pulling apart while the plastic is soft.

Line up the parts, subjects you want to do. Strip the unwanted paint, decals, etc in an acetone bath. Use a steel bowl and stripping gloves and do it outdoors. Acetone is very effective and deadly.

Spray the upper legs yellow. The "official" yellow is "Schoolbus Yellow". Krylon makes it. Good luck finding it. I use a Testor's "Chrysler Yellow" instead. Its close. Spray the jerseys the desired black or white. Spray the helmets and facemasks.

I paint the arms, lower legs and heads with acrylic by hand..

Decals are the big trick. I do the design work in PowerPoint then print to decal film on my laser (B&W) or color printer. Coat with several coats of Testor's 9200 decal stabelizer prior to cutting and placing. Attached are some images to get you started.

Once you have all the parts painted and decaled, assemble for fit then reassemble with glue. I use Superglue.

Prior to fitting the finished head, spray the figure with a flat spray. Allstar recommends Testors but I can't find a "flat". The helmet should be finished in a gloss.

That's the basics. Everybody else chime in too so we can all learn more.

This is a VERY rewarding hobby that has completely drawn me in. Just ask my Better half. I'm an old man, so if I can do it, so can you.

Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steeler sleeve curved.jpg (13.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Pittsburgh_Steelers logo.jpg (10.2 KB, 35 views)

Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by Vincent; 02-20-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:29 PM   #10
Benzbrother
Bench Warmer

Thanks a TON Vincent! Especially for the decal images, I'm sure they will come in helpful! Not sure when I'm going to try my first one (searching for figures on ebay right now), but I will make sure to update on my progress! Thanks again!