Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 01-02-2006, 12:49 AM   #1
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Cool Ben is confident and ready to go

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_409557.html

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is acting like a man seeking redemption, like a man on a Super Bowl mission.

"I think I feel more comfortable going into the playoffs now," said Roethlisberger, moments after the Steelers defeated the Detroit Lions, 35-21, and secured a meeting with Cincinnati Bengals in the first round of the playoffs 4:30 p.m. Sunday at Paul Brown Stadium. "Last year, I was kind of, 'Oh my gosh, I'm so nervous, I'm scared, here we go, don't make a mistake.'"

Although he is just 23 and only a year removed from his rookie season, which concluded with five postseason interceptions, three of which came in the AFC title loss to New England at Heinz Field, Roethlisberger feels he has come of age.

"I'm not going to go out and play not to make a mistake this year," Roethlisberger said. "I'm going to go out to win football games and play as good as I can to help this team win. It came from a feeling like (I) lost it last year for the team, for making mistakes and not wanting to do it again and not wanting to make the same mistakes twice.

"I think it's a journey, growing up and getting older."

The Steelers (11-5) will likely need a better effort out of Roethlisberger next weekend against the AFC North champion Bengals (11-5) than what he provided yesterday. He went 7 of 16 for 135 yards with two interceptions and a passer rating of 34.1 against the upset-minded Lions (5-11) at Heinz Field. He also ran for a touchdown.

His substandard play, however, could not undermine a Steelers team that needed to defeat the Lions in order to earn the AFC's sixth and final playoff berth.

The Steelers relied on special teams -- Antwaan Randle El returned a punt 81 yards for the game's first score; Ricardo Colclough returned a kickoff 63 yards that led to the second -- and the emotional lift provided by veteran tailback Jerome Bettis, who likely played his final game at Heinz Field, to overcome a 14-7 deficit.

Roethlisberger held himself accountable for this tougher-than-expected win.

"Lot of bad throws," he said. "Lot of them."

The Steelers had to wait 20 minutes after their win to discover who their first-round opponent would be. The Bengals, using a significant number of reserves, lost yesterday to the Kansas Chiefs and would have been the AFC's No. 4 seed if New England defeated Miami.

But the Patriots, also using a significant number of reserves, failed to convert a two-point conversion that would have sent their game into overtime, giving the Bengals the No. 3 spot.

The conclusion of the Patriots-Dolphins game appeared on an overhead TV not far from where Steelers coach Bill Cowher was trying to hold his postgame news conference.

Cowher spoke briefly before waiting to get the final result of the New England game. Once he found out that the Patriots had lost, he discussed a Bengals team that went 1-1 against the Steelers this season, including a 27-13 loss in Week 6 at Paul Brown Stadium and a 38-31 victory in Week 12 at Heinz Field.

"There will be a lot of excitement in that stadium, their first playoff game in a long time (since 1990)," said Cowher. "It's a big, big challenge for us. We certainly have to play better than the last time we played them."
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 12:51 AM   #2
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541
Default Re: Ben is confident and ready to go

I like the sound of this. Big Ben will need to step up like he was able to in the Divisional Playoff Game Last Year. Good Luck In The Playoffs Steelers.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 01:40 AM   #3
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900

Actually he needs to play better than he did last year. Which I think he will. O-line gives him time he can be as productive as anyother qb in the playoffs......

Go Steelers....
augustashark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 01:53 AM   #4
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

I think Ben will do well during the playoffs. He has a little more experience under his belt and knows what the playoffs bring. I really like him as a leader. I think he can motivate these guys along with the other team leaders.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 03:41 AM   #5
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

He says hes confident, but how confident can you really be after throwing two INTs against one of the worst teams in the NFL? let alone his poor passer rating..I'm nervous guys, it might be last year all over again. Especially from a team whos gotten plenty of INTs from their defense.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:43 AM   #6
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

And i just noticed the author of that article got the games mixed up haha
Old 01-02-2006, 08:18 AM   #7
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Ben didin`t look to have any zip on the ball yesterday. The thumb really bothers me!
Old 01-02-2006, 08:29 AM   #8
steeler47
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 663

Not sure here but last week did Ben have 1 glove on?

Yesterday he had both gloves on.I know he say's its not an issue but his throws seem to be sailing on him.

The PITTSBURGH STEELERS...2006 WORLD CHAMPIONS !!!
steeler47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 11:40 AM   #9
MichiSteeler
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 959

Big Ben + confidence + health = :sign09:

"The Steelers drafted guys who were bigger, stronger and faster than I, but they never found one who could take my job away from me."- Jack Lambert

Go Buckeyes and Spartans!
MichiSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 12:06 PM   #10
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiSteeler
Big Ben + confidence + health = :sign09:
I`m not sold on the health, I think 47 was right about the passes sailing a bit!