Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 02-02-2009, 08:03 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Tomlin, Steelers reflect on Super Bowl victory

http://www.newsday.com/sports/footba...,1215354.story

Newsday.com
Tomlin, Steelers reflect on Super Bowl victory

BY BOB GLAUBER

bob.glauber@newsday.com

1:36 PM EST, February 2, 2009

Not even 12 hours after winning his first Super Bowl title, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin was already looking ahead to next year and how he'll handle the team's status as defending champions.

Actually, he won't even use that term. Same with the word "repeat."

"The thing that I'll sell to our football team is that we're not attempting to repeat," said Tomlin, who at 36 became the youngest coach to win a Super Bowl title. "That special group of men \[that beat the Cardinals last night], that's gone forever.

"There will be a new 53 men. A lot of faces will be the same, but nothing stays the same. We're not different than anyone else. I think 'repeating' and 'defending champions' is somewhat of a misnomer. You won't hear me say those words because it will be a brand new year."

The Steelers pulled off an incredible comeback as Ben Roethlisberger led a last-minute drive that was capped by Super Bowl MVP Santonio Holmes' game-winning six-yard touchdown reception with 35 seconds left in the game.

"I'd like to tip my hat to the Arizona Cardinals organization," Tomlin said this morning at a farewell news conference in downtown Tampa. "That was a fierce battle last night. We appreciate the spectacle of today's NFL and we realize that it's because of the work of people that have come before us. It was a very blessed evening, and I was excited to be a part of it. It was surreal in a way, being a lifelong fan of the game. It's humbling to consider what happened to us last night."

Tomlin became only the second African-American head coach to win the Super Bowl. Former Colts coach Tony Dungy won it all two years ago.

"Coach Dungy paved that road, and I just have to walk down it," Tomlin said. "I benefited from the sacrifices. It makes it all the sweeter that I consider him a personal friend of mine. It's great. It's beautiful."

Holmes, who was presented with his MVP trophy this morning, said he was overwhelmed at the emotion of winning one of the sport's highest honors. He finished with nine catches for 131 yards and a touchdown. He was particularly gratified that he made the winning catch after not being able to haul in a pass on the previous play.

"I can definitely think of it as redemption," Holmes said. "It was a play I should have made. I took my eyes off the ball thinking about getting my feet down. Coming back, \[the team\] having faith in me and believing I could make the play, I promised myself I wouldn't lift those feet off the ground."

He didn't.

Holmes made a spectacular catch in the right corner of the end zone, just getting the tip of his both cleats down in bounds before falling to the ground.

Quite the turnaround for Holmes, who was deactivated for an Oct. 26 game against the Giants after being charged with marijuana possession three days before the game.

"The next day, I came into work and sat down and had a meeting with coach Tomlin," Holmes said. "He told me he'd handle the situation accordingly. At first, I didn't want to hear it. But I see that he put me in a better situation by getting the distractions away from the team and allowing me to come back the following week and letting it go."

Copyright 2009, Newsday Inc.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:13 PM   #2
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: Tomlin, Steelers reflect on Super Bowl victory

Coach T is so humble - I love listening to him speak because his words are always filled with such a quiet kind of emotion - you know he loves this team, never stopped believing in them and he LOVES coaching them.

However, I'm really tired of hearing this broken record . . .

Quote:
Tomlin became only the second African-American head coach to win the Super Bowl. Former Colts coach Tony Dungy won it all two years ago.
Why bring race into something so glorious and gratifying?

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:15 PM   #3
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Coach T is so humble - I love listening to him speak because his words are always filled with such a quiet kind of emotion - you know he loves this team, never stopped believing in them and he LOVES coaching them.

However, I'm really tired of hearing this broken record . . .

Why bring race into something so glorious and gratifying?
Agree completely. I had hoped with the election of Obama that the country was moving beyond the use race to characterize everything. Guess not . Sigh
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:31 PM   #4
SC Steeler Steve
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 12276

I like the idea of getting ready for next year. I am still feeling special right now though. You know how you feel special on you birthday, thats how I feel being a Steeler fan today. Mike Tomlin was a great choice for coach. But then again what else would you expect from the Rooneys?