Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 02-02-2009, 10:45 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers No. 1 in this era, but Packers still all-time best

http://www.cbssports.com/print/nfl/story/11330282
Steelers No. 1 in this era, but Packers still all-time best
Feb. 2, 2009
By Pete Prisco
CBSSports.com Senior Writer

Steelers greatest? Doyel | Freeman | Judge

It's hard to argue with the Pittsburgh Steelers as the greatest franchise ever, but I'll call them the greatest in the Super Bowl era.

The greatest franchise has to be the Green Bay Packers.

Why? Scoreboard.

The Packers have 12 championships, including three Super Bowl victories. The Steelers have six Super Bowl titles. That's impressive, but not as impressive as what the Packers accomplished.

Green Bay won titles in the 1920s, the 1930s, the 1940s, the 1960s and 1996.

That's really impressive.

The Steelers didn't win their first title until a Super Bowl in 1974. They went 25 years, from 1947 to 1972, without making the playoffs. They were losers for years.

But the Steelers are definitely the best franchise since the AFL-NFL merger. With six Super Bowl titles, including Sunday's 27-23 victory over the Arizona Cardinals, they now have more Lombardi Trophies than any other franchise.

During the 1970s, they were a dynasty.

Winning two Super Bowls in the past four years in a system with free agency and the salary cap might be just as impressive.

The Steelers get it.

They know drafting is the way to success. That's how you sustain good football teams that will compete for titles.

Green Bay is the best franchise ever.

But it's hard to argue with the Steelers as the best of the modern era.

(Stupid tool. Winning a championship in the 20's, 30's, or 40's can not compare in difficulty to the difficulty in whining today. There is no comparison. - mesa)

Steelers -- not Pats -- best franchise. Don't agree? Go to the video
Feb. 2, 2009
By Gregg Doyel
CBSSports.com National Columnist

TAMPA, Fla. -- We're not really asking if the Pittsburgh Steelers are the No. 1 franchise in NFL history, are we? They just won their sixth Super Bowl title, more than any team has won. We measure this sport by championships, and nobody has won more Super Bowls than the Steelers. Case closed.

So I'm going to take this whole thing a step further.

The Steelers aren't just the best franchise in league history -- they're the best franchise in the league right now. As in, during the past decade. The Patriots' decade. That one.

This one.

The Steelers are the dominant current franchise, not the Patriots. There can only be one. Pittsburgh is the one.

Why? Two reasons. One, the Patriots cheated during (at least) one of their Super Bowl runs.

You can argue that everyone does what the Patriots did -- but you can't prove it.

You can't argue that any of the Steelers' six Super Bowl champions
, or any team under any circumstances for that matter, has been caught breaking the no-filming rule as brazenly and punished as severely as the Patriots. So there's that.

But there's also this:

The Steelers' title run of recent years has transcended personnel. It has transcended coaches. The Patriots are a creation of Bill Belichick, whereas the Steelers have won two of the past four Super Bowl titles with different coaches -- Bill Cowher in 2005, Mike Tomlin this year.

Bottom line, the Steelers -- not this coach or that coach, but the Steelers -- win Super Bowl titles. This is a franchise that knows only one way, and that is the winning way. Minutes after his team beat Arizona 27-23 on Sunday night to win Super Bowl XLIII, Tomlin was asked if he had seen the Lombardi Trophy his team had just won.

No, Tomlin said. No need.

"I see five every day at work," he said. "I know what it looks like."

Other teams have known great runs. The Dolphins of the early 1970s. The 49ers of the '80s. The Cowboys of the '90s. New England in recent years.

But nobody wins like the Steelers. Not year after year, decade after decade. Not now, and not ever.

To argue anything else would be a waste of my time.

(Smart man - mesa)

mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:53 PM   #2
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419
Default Re: Steelers No. 1 in this era, but Packers still all-time best

Good read, I can agree, the Packers were some great teams also.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:30 PM   #3
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Since the NFL merger we have been one of the best. But remember the NFL was around for damn near 50 years before the first Super Bowl.I have no arguments with this article.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:35 PM   #4
JEFF4i
Banned

Member Number: 10645

I agree, I mean when you think of football you think of Lambeau field and the Packers.
JEFF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:37 PM   #5
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

No argument there. The Pack are still the best. I mean, they were the first team to repeat as SB champions. They are one of the all time classic franchises.

Steelers as of this point just have the second-most NFL championships.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:53 AM   #6
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

There will always be morons who say the Packers are the best team ever because of what happened 60 years ago, and it's almost painful to listen to them.

No, I'm not going to give them any credit for winning championships back before there was electricity. There were like 8 teams then and most of them were shitty. The degree of difficulty in winning a championship then was nowhere near what it is now. I have no doubt whatsoever that everything else being equal, most of those "great" Packers teams would get their asses handed to them by any of the top 10 college teams today.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:25 AM   #7
Milkman
Starter

Member Number: 1055

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
There will always be morons who say the Packers are the best team ever because of what happened 60 years ago, and it's almost painful to listen to them.

No, I'm not going to give them any credit for winning championships back before there was electricity. There were like 8 teams then and most of them were shitty. The degree of difficulty in winning a championship then was nowhere near what it is now. I have no doubt whatsoever that everything else being equal, most of those "great" Packers teams would get their asses handed to them by any of the top 10 college teams today.
I agree 100%

Less teams and less games to play back then.

If you fielded a great team like the Pack, it was gonna be a lot easier than today's NFL teams to win.

It's just the law of percentages (less teams and less games = better chance to win).

- $.98

Us against the world...STILL!
Bring it suckas!
Milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:37 AM   #8
LukesDad88
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12562

Don't forget, three of those twelve championships were won in a period with no championship game. They just gave it to whoever had the best record. If we still did it that way, Tennessee would have been the champions. New England the year before. The Colts would have been the dominant team of the decade...

You can't compare the two.
LukesDad88 is offline   Reply With Quote