Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 02-03-2009, 07:38 AM   #1
Stevo
Banned

Member Number: 12164
Default Confusion over a few plays; help me out

Now that the game is over I am looking for some input or even debate over a few plays and scenarios that left me wondering what the “correct outcome” would have been. I know it doesn’t matter as far as the game goes, but I just want to clarify what would have been the CORRECT outcome. Kind of like those “you make the call” spots back in the day.

WHAT HAPPENED: James Harrison TD. He picks off Warner’s pass and runs it back 100 yards for the touchdown. He is brought down right at the end zone and the half ends as he crosses the goal line. During the play there was a penalty against the Cardinals. After a review, it is ruled a TD and the Steelers decline the penalty.

IF: He was ruled down before the crossing the end zone, and the time had expired, the penalty would have given the Steelers one more play because the half can not end on a defensive penalty. RIGHT?

What about Fitz running out of bounce? Was that legal?

And was I thought I heard someone talking about a Steeler making and illegal chop-block, which could have taken away the TD.

WHAT HAPPENED: Larry Fitzgerald catches his first TD with 7:41 to play in the game, a leaping grab over Ike Taylor.

IF: He does not maintain control of the ball and it touches the ground as he is falling to the ground, it is an incomplete pass. The replay from the front shows Fitzgerald holding the ball in one hand while it is moving around his head and chest, and as he hits the ground the ball touches the ground (his hands were never completely under the ball, unlike Polamalu’s famous interception against San Diego on November 16th). Isn’t that an incomplete pass?

WHAT HAPPENED: At 3:04 for to play, a holding penalty on Steeler center J. Hartwig is enforced in end zone for a Cardinals Safety.

IF: The Steelers center is lying on his back while being run over by a defensive end, how is that holding?

FYI: If they don’t complete the pass then Tomlin was taking the safety anyway. But (as far as momentum is concerned) it is always much better to give something away, than to have it taken away.

...I am just looking for some insight. Thats all.
Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:43 AM   #2
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,872 Times in 936 Posts
Default Re: Confusion over a few plays; help me out

The INT return, I dont know what the penalty was. I saw Timmons being held on the blitz, so it was pre possession and I think the Cards would get the ball back 10 yards deeper. If it was on the runback, then its still Steeler ball. Players get blocked out of bounds on punt coverage and come back to make tackle all the time.....Fitz was OK in doing do.

On the Fitzgerald TD, he clearly had possession when he went to the ground and maintained it. It was a TD.

On the Hartwig hold call, he is blocking the DT and then sees Okefor stunting inside and shifts over. Hartwig is standing upright and gets run over by Okefor who has leverage and Hartwig grabs outside his shoulder pads to block and goes down with him. I thought it was questionable as Hartwig was almost defensive, but if he had his hands inside on the chest of Okefor while getting run over, its no call. Basically he placed his hands "outside the frame" and allowed the ref to make the call.

I dont agree with the call, but believe it could have been called either way only because Hartwig had bad hand placement and wouldnt cry about it if we lost.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:58 AM   #3
SuzyPeppercorn
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2955

yes players get pushed out of bounds all the time and are still legal. But fitz went out of bounds all on his own and made no effort to get back into the field until trying to tackle harrison.

i think this is a penalty. can anyone confirm?
SuzyPeppercorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:06 AM   #4
SuperSteelers
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1576

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyPeppercorn View Post
yes players get pushed out of bounds all the time and are still legal. But fitz went out of bounds all on his own and made no effort to get back into the field until trying to tackle harrison.

i think this is a penalty. can anyone confirm?
Yes, it is a penalty. If it weren't, then players could routinely get out of bounds do avoid being blocked and run back in to make the play.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:15 AM   #5
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

The penalty was a facemask against Warner on Harrison during the run back. So it still would have been Steelers ball with one "untimed" down.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:30 AM   #6
MJ5150
Starter

Member Number: 3203

Hey stlrtruck....fix your sig..

6 trophies

-Mike
MJ5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:39 AM   #7
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
The penalty was a facemask against Warner on Harrison during the run back. So it still would have been Steelers ball with one "untimed" down.
no, it was a facemask on #61 elton brown
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:47 AM   #8
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

i actually have a question myself.. when warner's fumble was overturned in the 3rd quarter, why was he not called for grounding? he threw the ball two feet in front of him at the feet of a steelers and cardinals lineman. i want to say its because farrior had hold of him and caused the incompletion/fumble, but i have seen qbs being grabbed or hit by defenders and still get called for it. so i dont know.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:24 PM   #9
SuperSteelers
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1576

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
i actually have a question myself.. when warner's fumble was overturned in the 3rd quarter, why was he not called for grounding? he threw the ball two feet in front of him at the feet of a steelers and cardinals lineman. i want to say its because farrior had hold of him and caused the incompletion/fumble, but i have seen qbs being grabbed or hit by defenders and still get called for it. so i dont know.
Exactly the same question I had at the time... Why no intentional grounding??
Old 02-03-2009, 01:55 PM   #10
steelerdave1969
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12338

Alot of great questions and alot of great answers, this is why I love this forrum. Alot of people that know their football and are very informational about it..