Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-03-2009, 09:28 AM   #1
Stevo
Banned

Member Number: 12164
Default ESPN Bill Simmons: "This game sucked"

Another Steeler-hater. This guy is writing an opinion article about a game he admits he didn't really watch. And his whole view is based on the fact that the Steelers cost him money that he bet.

And he is getting paid to do this type of garbage during a recession?

Any thoughts?

--------------------------------------------------------

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...2&sportCat=nfl

The retroactive Super Bowl running diary

By Bill Simmons
Page 2

Updated: February 2, 2009

Midway through the third quarter of Super Bowl XLIII, I was congratulating myself for attending a party instead of writing about the game. Pittsburgh was driving with a 10-point lead. The Cardinals had a salad fork sticking out of them ever since the 14-point swing at the end of the first half, when James Harrison unleashed his amazing 100-yard TAINT with help from the officials (who ignored LaMarr Woodley's blatant clipping and Harrison's getting tackled just short of the goal line). Other than that one play, this was a snoozefest. We weren't even getting enough Cuba Gooding Jr. shots.

So how did Pittsburgh almost blow this thing? Again, I was watching the game at a party. You eat and drink and talk to people at parties. I spent most of my night talking to friends and having inane conversations such as when my friend Ace and I tried to figure out if there was a sports equivalent to Sondra Locke's career.

(cont...)

Here's the point: I was talking to friends, semi-watching the game, adding up all my "winning" Pittsburgh-related bets and having a grand old time. Then a switch flipped and it turned into one of the better Super Bowl endings ever. (Note to anyone playing the "greatest ever" card -- we quickly overrate the Super Bowl every time it's good. Settle down. The fourth quarter wasn't any more exciting than the Panthers-Pats game. Fitzgerald's long TD wasn't any more or less exciting than Isaac Bruce's long TD that won the Rams-Titans game. The ending wasn't any more dramatic than Bills-Giants or Niners-Bengals II. Let the record show that this game sucked for three solid quarters except for the Harrison play.) And as I was driving home, I couldn't help but think

"What the hell just happened?"

(cont...)

In retrospect, it was the second-weirdest "Why didn't anyone seem to care that the ending was shady?" sequence, narrowly trailing Game 7 of the 1988 NBA Finals, when the Lakers' crowd stormed the court with three seconds remaining, then Magic body-blocked Isiah right before he attempted the game-tying 3-pointer ... no call. That will never be topped. The Warner "fumble" was close though. I thought it seemed like a pass. What do I know? I just know that I lost my Super Bowl pick. And a little money.

So what did we learn from Super Bowl XLIII? Don't pick a Super Bowl team that can't run the ball or protect its QB to cover a seven-point spread. Don't cheer in the press box even if your son is making one of the most exhilarating Super Bowl plays ever. Don't listen to Cousin Sal on Super Bowl prop bets. Don't show your hands to John Madden if they're big and strong. Don't rush to call an exciting Super Bowl game "the greatest ever!" just because it's fun to say or write things like that. Don't ignore Mike Lombardi's Super Bowl advice. Don't try to figure out how this Cards team inexplicably caught fire, developed a heart and came within one defensive stand from winning four straight playoff games and a title, because the NFL is officially as unpredictable as March Madness and that's just the way it is. And don't go to a Super Bowl party if you write about sports for a living. You never know what might happen.
Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:33 AM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,169 Times in 432 Posts
Default Re: ESPN Bill Simmons: "This game sucked"

Simmons is a Pats* ballwasher. Next.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:42 AM   #3
CanadianSteel
Team Captain

Member Number: 6555

Ya he can suck the big one like all the other Steeler haters in the Media....
CanadianSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:54 AM   #4
Harrison92
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 12701

Bitchass trick
Harrison92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:59 AM   #5
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

The game "sucked" because Tom Gaydy and Belicheat weren't there.

Go suck on one Simmons.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:59 AM   #6
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

His is the one PodCast I can't get through...so his opinion of the game, means crap to me.

Fck Him...Fck all haters.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:07 AM   #7
MikeTheGreaseMan
Water Boy

Member Number: 12844

Even if you are a Steeler Hater, how can you honestly say 'this game sucked?' I think it proves he's just an idiot, not a Steeler Hater. What a douche........

Here's something to stir the pot during the offseason:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34998278@N05/3250934624/

MikeTheGreaseMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:14 AM   #8
kmsteelerwr15
Team President

Location: going to school at Tusculum College but living in NC
Member Number: 1492

maybe he would have enjoyed the game more if he actually watched it, instead of having coffee talk with these alleged "friends"
Old 02-03-2009, 10:38 AM   #9
BleedBlacknGold0
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7140

People who act disinterested like this are generally just bitter. I read this article the other day and didn't pay any attention to it.

My buddy is a Ravens fan and all he said all week was how the Ravens let the Steelers win and he didn't care.
BleedBlacknGold0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:39 AM   #10
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Its the old way to get hits to your website...bash the Steelers and Steelers Nation attacks your website and generates hits...boring.