Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 02-03-2009, 02:22 PM   #1
LukesDad88
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12562
Default Time to change Overtime

We came within one down and half a foot of going to overtime on Sunday, and having an inordinate amount of power residing in the flip of a coin. With as close as the Superbowl came to OT, and with the OT loss by Indy to the Chargers, it is time to fix the problem.

How would you fix overtime?
LukesDad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 10606
Default Re: Time to change Overtime

Do it like college...You each get a shot at the endzone. If team A scores on their turn, and team B fails to return the favor, team A wins.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:30 PM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,422 Times in 514 Posts

Keep it as is. I guess the 1958 NFL Championship game should be replayed then since the system is "broken." Time to exhume Johnny U. If you want to win the game, and you lose the toss, your D needs to do their job, which ours didn't in the 4th quarter Sunday night, let's face it.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:41 PM   #4
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886
Thanked 1,281 Times in 628 Posts

I think we should just play another quarter, maybe 10 min instead of 15

My beef though is that how many years have people been b****ing for this???............But Manning doesn't get a chance in one Playoff game and its all of a sudden got to be changed

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:43 PM   #5
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Bus_24 View Post
My beef though is that how many years have people been b****ing for this???............But Manning doesn't get a chance in one Playoff game and its all of a sudden got to be changed
BINGO! Didn't hear a word about it earlier this season when we went to OT against Baltimore, did we? Maybe because we won the game anyway despite losing the toss? But when one of the NFL's fair-haired golden boys (see Manning and Brady) get sent home for the season due to it, all of a sudden Peter King writes an article bitching about what a travesty it is. Funny how that works, huh?
Old 02-03-2009, 02:45 PM   #6
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
BINGO! Didn't hear a word about it earlier this season when we went to OT against Baltimore, did we? Maybe because we won the game anyway despite losing the toss? But when one of the NFL's fair-haired golden boys (see Manning and Brady) get sent home for the season due to it, all of a sudden Peter King writes an article bitching about what a travesty it is. Funny how that works, huh?
There's a New Golden Boy now...his name is Ben
Old 02-03-2009, 02:47 PM   #7
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 6 Rings View Post
There's a New Golden Boy now...his name is Ben
Yeah, we'll see when the media goes back to fellating Romo once more next year after a few 300-yard games and Ben becomes an afterthought again.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:45 PM   #8
Stover4Prez
Banned

Member Number: 11715

Romo is the greatest QB ever until it counts. He is a choke artist and I don't see him getting any better. He gets face time because like Peyton and Tom, he is a celebrity QB and is flashy. Ben is great but won't ever get the play like those others because he is a working man's QB. He doesn't have a stupid hot model girlfriend or go to Cabo before the playoffs and is not part of the Oreo Lick Off League.

Personally I would prefer a worker vice a showman. His time will come if he continues to play the way he has lately. He wasn't the key factor in your SB a couple years back against the SeaChickens, but he was in this one.

As for the overtime I say leave it. I hated it initially until I heard Goodell talking about how it forces teams to win in regulation. Plus with teams like ours (strong D) who cares who wins the toss? I say leave it.
Stover4Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:26 PM   #9
LukesDad88
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12562

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Keep it as is. I guess the 1958 NFL Championship game should be replayed then since the system is "broken." Time to exhume Johnny U. If you want to win the game, and you lose the toss, your D needs to do their job, which ours didn't in the 4th quarter Sunday night, let's face it.
The game changes over time, as the players change. During the first couple of decades, the team that won the toss has a much higher statistical advantage of winning.

If we had gone to overtime Sunday, lost the coin toss, and lost the game with Ben and the O never even getting onto the field, you guys would have been balistic. This place would have gone crazy. Why wait for that situation to arise? With average starting field position after a kickoff of the 30 yard line as opposed to the 23 (where it was before they moved the kickoff back. Plus, back in the good old days, kicks beyond forty yards were rare, and very iffy. No team would pull up at the thirty and kick it. The line was the twenty. On average, they had to move sixty yards just to be in decent field goal range. And that was with rules that weren't nearly as favorable to offenses as today's are. By comparison, today's winner of the coin toss just have to move 35-40 yards with rules that have been tweaked in favor of offense in order to provide higher scores, and better ratings.

Nope, 20-30 years ago, I might have ageed with you. Not today. The rules have changed too much, the athletes have changed too much, and the winner of the coin toss has half again better chance of winning than the loser of the coin toss. The rule needs changed.
LukesDad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:29 PM   #10
SteelCurtain7
Starter

Member Number: 10885

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukesDad88 View Post
We came within one down and half a foot of going to overtime on Sunday, and having an inordinate amount of power residing in the flip of a coin. With as close as the Superbowl came to OT, and with the OT loss by Indy to the Chargers, it is time to fix the problem.

How would you fix overtime?
By leaving it alone. Take your college rules and leave them in school.
SteelCurtain7 is offline   Reply With Quote