Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers > Steelers Experience

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-04-2009, 09:16 AM   #1
SamUK
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 9546
Default My Super Bowl Experience in the UK

http://www.steelernation.co.uk/Superbowl43.html

My night, in words and pictures celebrating at a Super Bowl party set up by me and my Football team as a fundraiser.

Its quite long, but I hope some of you enjoy reading it, just trying to spread the Steelers love around the world!
SamUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:02 PM   #2
roethlisbergerUK
Water Boy

Member Number: 7646
Default Re: My Super Bowl Experience in the UK

Sam i take you are Mr Red on the NFL UK forum ? I am roethlisberger7 on there :) i read it and really enjoyed it.It,s good you have ateam local to play for,Local to me is the Ipswich Cardinals and the Colchester Gladiators.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:24 PM   #3
Hawkeye
Water Boy

Member Number: 7466

good to see Steelers have planted roots in jolly old england, it not the type of football most of you lads are use to
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:36 PM   #4
SamUK
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by roethlisbergerUK View Post
Sam i take you are Mr Red on the NFL UK forum ? I am roethlisberger7 on there :) i read it and really enjoyed it.It,s good you have ateam local to play for,Local to me is the Ipswich Cardinals and the Colchester Gladiators.
Yeh I am... Glad you enjoyed the read, I started writing and really didnt stop! But, means I will not forget it! Yeh I have my University team local and then I have a choice of a few teams to play National League for this summer, which will be good!
Old 02-04-2009, 05:40 PM   #5
SamUK
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
good to see Steelers have planted roots in jolly old england, it not the type of football most of you lads are use to
Oh the roots have been planted for years, just growing nice and steadily. I agree not what most the county is use to tho...

Although its not quite as much as many of you lot I'm sure, this is my3rd season playing the game and looking to move up and playing in the UK National League this summer before my final year at University next year! But thats a whole other story!

Thats me getting ready for gametime!
Old 02-04-2009, 09:35 PM   #6
Hawkeye
Water Boy

Member Number: 7466

if you dont mind me asking but how did you turn to american football in a football crazed country like england? my bet is your dislike for Becks/posh :D
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:39 PM   #7
TheWarDen86
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 2,836 Times in 1,205 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Very Cool!
Old 02-05-2009, 04:00 AM   #8
SamUK
Draft Prospect

Quote:
if you dont mind me asking but how did you turn to american football in a football crazed country like england? my bet is your dislike for Becks
I actually really like Becks and have an autograph from the night he scored in the
93rd minute of the world cup qualifiers agaisnt Greece in 2002(i think) to send us through to the finals. Not so keen on posh tho...

Football over here has been spoilt and tainted by all the money. The big 4 teams have all the money, but the best players and win the league year upon year. With no salary cap, wages are getting stupid and teams cannot compete. Thats why I never want the cap to be take off in American Football, as some teams would never challenge.

Basically I always loved American sports. From high school age i came a pretty prolifice Basketball player and our school won district and country championships and undefeated for 3 years. I guess around that time I got into American Football as I was soo bored of playing Football, and my heart wasnt in it any more after I got passed up to go Professional by my local team.

Even them 5 years ago, under 18's American Football was not very big so the first chance to play was when I went to University. Lets just say when I put my pads on for the first time and got to hit people, I was hooked on all things American Football.

I transfered Universities due to courses and now am the President of the club and coach the Offense/Recievers/Play Call, you name it I do it. Just got to find a way to fundraise or get more money from the Uni as our teams kit is all pretty much past it, and being a non mainstream sport, we struggle for money and funding and then try and bring the standard of play forward.

I hope to come over in aug/september to obviously see the Steelers play but to go visit soome collages/high schools to see if i can gain any tips/advice/drills/training to help bring my team forward.

Again, on the whole growth in this country. May be aware we have had 2 "international" games at Wembley which has both sold out. We have a thriving University League with 45 teams (about 2500 players) and 10 more wanting to join. The National League again is thriving, with about 40 teams (2000 odd players) and the top teams in the country are then competing in Europe against Europes best.

We now have American Football set up at most National League teams from 14-18 before turning to the adult League, to encourage more youngesters to play the game, and we have some of the best youth teams in Europe now (Still a very long way off America, but it is growing hugely each year)

Again, sorry for the long post but well hope that gives some insight into fans outside of America, and the state of actually playing Gridiron in the UK. I really do love it, I think ill probably play for another 6 or 7 years, whilst trying to gain as many coaching qualifications as possible. The dream to coach in America is there, but I doubt that will ever happen!
Old 02-05-2009, 04:45 PM   #9
roethlisbergerUK
Water Boy

Quote:
if you dont mind me asking but how did you turn to american football in a football crazed country like england? my bet is your dislike for Becks/posh :D
I know as far as i was concerned i got into American football and the Steelers in 1984 when i was 10 years old,I remember Channel 4started showing it on tv on sunday evenings at 6.00pm and it was one of those sports i was hooked on.As a kid i loved most sports so something new and differnet like US football was very welcomed.

I remember at the same time going to a Tesco(owned by Walmart so same kinda store) store with my parents and see a row of American football jerseys among the teams were Steelers,Dolphins,Bears,Cowboys,Packers,Giants,Red skins,Raiders and a few more if i,m correct.I went straight to the Steelers jersey and just begged my parents to get it,I,d seen a report on the American football about the Steelers and just remember that,The jersey was a Louis Lipps and it was in the shopping trolley.

I did love soccer as a kid but as i got older i grew out of it..For me the game has been ruined by money,diving and cheating over the years.I just got more into US sports espec Football.I went to the 1986 American bowl at Wembley London between the Bears and the Cowboys and it was just the best day ever to see 2 teams in a new sport to the UK and how well it was accepted by us Brits.I still remember when i saw players like William "The Fridge" Perry,Walter Payton and Mike Singeltary etc and compared to soccer players the size was ridiculous lol.

I have been a Steeler fan ever since and love Us Football,I try and watch some college football too as we get NASN here which shows pretty much all the US sport you can handle espec college sports.I love America and most things about it,I have friends there(most are Steeler fans lol) and as your closest allie i hope it continues,It,s 2 great countries and with the International NFL games i hope it keeps going.
I do totally understand though some Americans don,t like the idea of the International games as it is America,s sport.I know Terry Bradshaw did an interview for the first game in London and he was really really against it.It,s just we in the UK really do appreciate the sport and i can see it becoming possibly a top 5 sport in the UK.It won,t overtake soccer or horse racing as the 2 biggest attended sports but i can see it being more popular than Rugby and Cricket (Yawn lol).

Anyway ive rambled enough
Old 02-05-2009, 04:46 PM   #10
roethlisbergerUK
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamUK View Post
Yeh I am... Glad you enjoyed the read, I started writing and really didnt stop! But, means I will not forget it! Yeh I have my University team local and then I have a choice of a few teams to play National League for this summer, which will be good!
Yeah it was a great read,You ready to do it all next year lol..If the football gods will it that is?