Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-02-2006, 10:28 AM   #1
MichiSteeler
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 959
Default Are you a believer now?

I remember from a post awhile back that not everyone was a believer in Willie Parker. Me included. But after yesterdays game, he really showed me that he has become better and we just might be ok with him at the controls. Hes doing a lot less side to side dancing and running north and south now and that is making him a lot better. Who else is now a believer in Fast Willie?

"The Steelers drafted guys who were bigger, stronger and faster than I, but they never found one who could take my job away from me."- Jack Lambert

Go Buckeyes and Spartans!
MichiSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 10:51 AM   #2
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Default Re: Are you a believer now?

Im not still 100% sold on him, he's getting better and better, but I wanna see him continue to improve next year before Im personally ready to annoint him as the next big time starting RB for the Steelers. Doing it one year is great, and he's shown vast improvement as the year has gone on with his vision and power between the tackles..but at this point I want to have a viable option besides him and Duce just to be safe..especially if Jerome doesnt come back.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 10:56 AM   #3
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

I said early on another thread that I am coming around. He is starting to improve weekly. He is running N & S now. It almost seems as if he gains positive yardage every play. Give me three good playoff games, and a great Superbowl, then I`m totally sold! LOL
He is moving up in my book
Old 01-02-2006, 10:57 AM   #4
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

If he plays well against the stiff competition in the playoffs, which remember our OL has to play well too, then that is giant step towards solidifying himself as our starter next year.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 11:05 AM   #5
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

If he does play well in the post season. Then this takes a little pressure off the Steelers to draft a running back early. We have some other needs, that we can address before going rb
Old 01-02-2006, 11:19 AM   #6
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328

Willie was running hard yesterday, but he still has a lot of work to do... he can be even better. I think that he hits the hole to quick most of his carries. He doesn't allow the blocks to set up and he just sprints right into people. On the other hand sometimes it helps him get something out of nothing. I think he will continue to improve the more carries he has at this level.

Nothing like some monday mourning runningback.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:01 PM   #7
Rotorhead
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 703
My Mood: Relaxed

I definately think Parker is a good RB. He is insanely fast. I am still up in the air whether he is the RB for the Steelers. Our team seems to be built for a guys that can consistantly get 3-4 yards (like Bettis) as opposed to someone that will get stuffed a couple times then bust one for 40 yds. If we start focusing on more of a west coast style short passing game next year (which we have the receivers and QB to do that now) then Parker will be able to flourish (Marshall Faulk like). He seems to do better when we pass a bit to set up the run rather than using him to run to set up the pass. I think it is very possible to use him as a primary back next year with a little tweeking to the play calling and it would benefit our game alot.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 12:16 PM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,651 Times in 4,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead
I definately think Parker is a good RB. He is insanely fast. I am still up in the air whether he is the RB for the Steelers. Our team seems to be built for a guys that can consistantly get 3-4 yards (like Bettis) as opposed to someone that will get stuffed a couple times then bust one for 40 yds. If we start focusing on more of a west coast style short passing game next year (which we have the receivers and QB to do that now) then Parker will be able to flourish (Marshall Faulk like). He seems to do better when we pass a bit to set up the run rather than using him to run to set up the pass. I think it is very possible to use him as a primary back next year with a little tweeking to the play calling and it would benefit our game alot.
good take rotorhead. i just dont wanna see too much short passing. i still like ben throwing 15-20 yd passes and taking his shots deep. we definitely seem to do well using the passing game to set up the run though. the team sometimes seems to have some wind taken out of its sails when this dont work though. gott to have that power running game to fall back on and i think willie and verron/duce or other similar back can provide that. bettis???

one more year!
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 03:48 PM   #9
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508

naw i ain't a beleiver yet by a long shot, sure he rushed for over 1000 yards in season. sure he tore up the lions, wow, sure he tore up the texans, amazing, sure he tore up the bengals, once, i like willie a lot but not as a starter for this team, we need a power back to be better then we are now, and if lendale white is there when we pick in the first round we better draft him cause he's the real deal. parker might have a tougher go around next year now that teams will know what kinda player he is (see julius jones for an example)
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 03:50 PM   #10
SteelerDan43
Banned
Supporter

Location: From Pittsburgh, currently going to school in Rochester
Member Number: 811

I see him as much more of a change of pace/3rd down and long type of guy. I just dont like the whole method of get stopped two or three times then break for 20. I would prefer a more methodical 3-4 yards per carry power guy that doesnt take alot of takles for losses.
SteelerDan43 is offline   Reply With Quote