Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 02-03-2009, 09:48 PM   #1
steelers2685
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8032
Thumbs up Holmes Earned the MVP.

On my way to the parade today, I heard a couple guys arguing with each other over who got the MVP award at the Super Bowl. One said Ben because he executed the drive and bought time to deliver the passes that led the team down the field. The other said Holmes because he made the clutch catch that will forever go down in Steelers history as the catch that brought home six.

Here's my take:

Holmes earned the MVP not only in the Super Bowl, but because of his reliability throughout these playoffs as a whole! He performed exceptionally well in his spot at punt returner on special teams time and time again when we needed a spark. He got free from defenders time and time again when Ben was in trouble to give this team a chance for a completion, let alone turning that catch into a huge play. On Sunday, he showed that he could handle the pressure and be the Offenses other rock to lean on. If Ben would have completed the passes to other receivers during the drive, then yes, Ben should have earned MVP. However, to have all four catches, including the game winner after missing an easy one on the previous play, that seals the deal in my book. I'm just really tired of people not showing respect when it is deserved but choose to debate instead.

Let's just hope that he takes Hines' advice and keeps his head on straight because his destiny for stardom has begun. Nice job To This award stands for not just what you did in the S.B. but what you did throughout all three postseason games this year for us.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:23 PM   #2
IAWarnerFan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12150
Default Re: Holmes Earned the MVP.

They need to have a playoff MVP. No doubt that would be Fitz and or Kurt!
Old 02-03-2009, 10:24 PM   #3
Steelersfanforlife
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12898

Holmes definitely deserved to be named the MVP. he did great throughout the playoffs
Steelersfanforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:26 PM   #4
IAWarnerFan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelersfanforlife View Post
Holmes definitely deserved to be named the MVP. he did great throughout the playoffs
It's an award for the Super Bowl only!
Old 02-04-2009, 04:46 AM   #5
Steelcitygal87
Banned

Member Number: 10583

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers2685 View Post
On my way to the parade today, I heard a couple guys arguing with each other over who got the MVP award at the Super Bowl. One said Ben because he executed the drive and bought time to deliver the passes that led the team down the field. The other said Holmes because he made the clutch catch that will forever go down in Steelers history as the catch that brought home six.

Here's my take:

Holmes earned the MVP not only in the Super Bowl, but because of his reliability throughout these playoffs as a whole! He performed exceptionally well in his spot at punt returner on special teams time and time again when we needed a spark. He got free from defenders time and time again when Ben was in trouble to give this team a chance for a completion, let alone turning that catch into a huge play. On Sunday, he showed that he could handle the pressure and be the Offenses other rock to lean on. If Ben would have completed the passes to other receivers during the drive, then yes, Ben should have earned MVP. However, to have all four catches, including the game winner after missing an easy one on the previous play, that seals the deal in my book. I'm just really tired of people not showing respect when it is deserved but choose to debate instead.

Let's just hope that he takes Hines' advice and keeps his head on straight because his destiny for stardom has begun. Nice job To This award stands for not just what you did in the S.B. but what you did throughout all three postseason games this year for us.
--------------------------------------------

"Let's just hope he takes Hines advice and keeps his head on straight"- That is what I am anxious to see. He has such great character guys around him..to mentor him..show him the correct way to handle himself with all the fame that has come his way. Hopefully he will keep his act together off the field. On the field...hopefully no more end zone celebrations that might cost us 15 yards.
Steelcitygal87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:59 AM   #6
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Holmes earned the MVP honors because he DESERVED it. Santo made several key grabs in the game and sure Ben made the throw on the game winning play, but Holmes had 3 Arizona defenders shadowing him in the EZ, kept his focus on the ball and made a phenomenal catch, making sure he got both sets of toes in bounds. That catch was Rice-esque!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:52 AM   #7
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAWarnerFan View Post
They need to have a playoff MVP. No doubt that would be Fitz and or Kurt!
So your saying you want to invent trophys/awards for your metophoric victory.

Holmes made 4 of the 5 catches on the last drive alone. Sure, Ben made some great throws, but his decision to keep going with the hot receiver was his best of all.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:11 AM   #8
wvsportsman
Water Boy

Member Number: 3538

I'm not saying santonio doesn't deserve the award because it was a great catch! But who took the team on his back in the huddle when has told them it's now or never guy's? and who engineered th drive? And who put the ball in the only spot Holmes could catch it between three defenders?? Who has done this all season?
wvsportsman is offline   Reply With Quote