Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-05-2009, 06:23 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Complacent? Not these Steelers

Harris: Complacent? Not these Steelers
Buzz up!
By John Harris, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...rce=rss&feed=9

John Harris is a sports columnist for the Tribune-Review. He can be reached via e-mail or at 412-481-5432.

The Steelers won Super Bowl XLIII four days ago. Plenty of time for some well-deserved celebrating and merriment at the conclusion of a long season. Good times for all.

Time's up, fellows.

Now get back to work.

This weekend, Super Bowl MVP Santonio Holmes and some of his teammates are expected to attend the Walt Disney Wide World of Sports Complex, training under the direction of speed and conditioning coach Tom Shaw. They'll assist with the development of potential NFL draft picks while also beginning their offseason workouts.

Cornerbacks Ike Taylor and Bryant McFadden, an unrestricted free agent, will join Holmes, with defensive captain James Farrior traveling to Florida after playing in Sunday's Pro Bowl in Hawaii.

So much for Super Bowl complacency setting in among the Steelers.

"A lot of guys," Shaw said, "start feeling sorry for themselves: 'It's been a long season. My shoulders hurt.' You can't do that. You've got to get right back into it."

Holmes -- who trained with Shaw last offseason and, like Taylor, has a home in the Orlando, Fla., area to be closer to the Disney complex -- caught the winning touchdown pass in Super Bowl XLIII in the game's final minute.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Holmes' superior conditioning made him a better player. Holmes had nine receptions for 131 yards against Arizona in the Steelers' 27-23 win and scored three touchdowns in the postseason.

"I think it started with (last) offseason," Tomlin said. "He came in great physical condition, much better than he was in '07. This is a guy who has a desire to be great. He's willing to do what it takes to make it happen."

Holmes, Taylor and Farrior all enjoyed their best seasons with the Steelers.

Taylor was named a Pro Bowl alternate and provided tough one-on-one coverage against Arizona's Larry Fitzgerald, holding him to one reception through the first three quarters of Super Bowl XLIII.

Farrior, 34, led the team in tackles for the fifth time in six seasons and was named to his second Pro Bowl.

"A lot of guys not only look to (Farrior) in terms of how they prepare to play football games, but how to prepare over a 12-month calendar," Tomlin said. "This is a guy who is in great condition 12 months a year, takes a couple of weeks off, and then gets back about the business of preparing himself for the next one. Guys followed that model."

Several players had dinner with Shaw in Tampa the week prior to Super Bowl XLIII. NFL Defensive Player of the Year James Harrison, starting inside linebacker Larry Foote, cornerbacks Deshea Townsend and Anthony Madison, and safety Tyrone Carter all made plans to train with Shaw this offseason.

"Quite a few guys said they were coming down," Shaw said. "That's the big thing. You start getting more and more guys because they see the results."
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:50 AM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: Complacent? Not these Steelers

Sounds like we may just avoid the malaise and SB hangover of 2006.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:20 AM   #3
jev7452
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11286

glad to hear the boys havent lost focus!!
Old 02-05-2009, 07:32 AM   #4
CPanther95
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 11672

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Somebody get Big Ben a Segway!
Old 02-05-2009, 12:07 PM   #5
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Yes...this is why I like Tomlin.

Its time to put down the balloons and get back to being Violent...yes...bring me more violence, blood and broken bones!

Holy Crapl...when is Kickoff?

I'm not going to make it this off season....oh man...
Old 02-05-2009, 12:59 PM   #6
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

Cowher took 14 years to win his SB and IMO that's why there was such a let down after finally reaching the top. It's a natural reaction.

Tomlin on the other hand hasn't been here long enough to have that same satisfaction and in my mind has even higher expectations now that he's had success so early in his career.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:05 PM   #7
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

I believe Mike Tomlin said it himself. "Defending" a Super Bowl title in this league is a misnomer. It's not like wrestling where you lose your belt upon losing. You're crowned champion and that's it. Back to business. New Season.

I think Tomlin's "7" gesture at the parade is indication enough that he's still hungry. As he should. As we all know, Winning the Super Bowl can only buy you so much time. Ask Jon Gruden. You'll have to deliver again and again. Tomlin's a smart man. He'll know what to do.

We'll see what happens in 2009. Hopefully we won't see a repeat of 2006. That starts with Ben staying safe this offseason.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:07 PM   #8
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Member Number: 2648

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post

...and that sounds good to me!
Old 02-05-2009, 01:28 PM   #9
AllD
Team Owner

Member Number: 11931

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
I believe Mike Tomlin said it himself. "Defending" a Super Bowl title in this league is a misnomer. It's not like wrestling where you lose your belt upon losing. You're crowned champion and that's it. Back to business. New Season.

I think Tomlin's "7" gesture at the parade is indication enough that he's still hungry. As he should. As we all know, Winning the Super Bowl can only buy you so much time. Ask Jon Gruden. You'll have to deliver again and again. Tomlin's a smart man. He'll know what to do.

We'll see what happens in 2009. Hopefully we won't see a repeat of 2006. That starts with Ben staying safe this offseason.

Just think if BB was never in a bike accident how much further he would have been along. That and the change in coaching put him back two years. Now he is making up for lost time and don't be surprised by a third ring within the next two years.
AllD is offline   Reply With Quote